Bringing our dog back to the uk

Alicarl

We brought our dog out to oz 6 months ago. He had his rabies jab and blood test before he came but we didn't actually get him a pet passport. We are now in the process of starting to organise sending him back and have a few queries. We are trying to find out what the following are, if we need them and where we get them from. 1. A pets 3 form 2. Owners residency form 3. Form c5. We had an email from Qantas freight titled UK pets scheme that listed these but Qantas have no idea what they are and neither do Daft Bio. Any help would be appreciated.

Alison

We brought our dog out to oz 6 months ago. He had his rabies jab and blood test before he came but we didn't actually get him a pet passport. We are now in the process of starting to organise sending him back and have a few queries. We are trying to find out what the following are, if we need them and where we get them from. 1. A pets 3 form 2. Owners residency form 3. Form c5. We had an email from Qantas freight titled UK pets scheme that listed these but Qantas have no idea what they are and neither do Daft Bio. Any help would be appreciated.

Alison

Daft Bio - I love it. I know them well from a past life

If you could email me the C5 that would be great thanks Bob. PM me contact details.

I actually meant to put Daff Bio, funny that it should come out as 'daft' without me realizing it.

Alison

Edited by lebourvellec
Removal of email address - per forum rules

• 3 weeks later...

We are thinking of taking our Sharpei with us to the UK but wondered if there is a company that would 'courier' her from Heathrow to the North East or would we have to pick her up ourselves Seems as if the process of vacinnes etc is not hard its the how to get her bit that might be

We would leave her with family to give ourselves time to arrive etc then have her sent on

When we emigrated to Oz we brought our cocker spaniel and he had to be bathed before and after the flight plus quarantine was 3 months does anything like that still occur going the opposite way ( our Sharpei HATE water with a passion )

I think if you call DAFF they will have a list of recognised VETS, I got the name of one only 25mins drive which is good, because I'll need to go there at least 3 times. (once for rabies shot, once for blood test 30days later, and once to pick up the paperwork if the blood test shows she is immune).

As for transport. I have had one quote from Jetpets which includes collecting my Skye Terrier my home (1hr) outside Sydney 24hours before flight, prepare her (she needs to be wormed), prepare all the paperwork for customs, provide a suitable carrier, and delivery to my place of residence (1/2hr) outside Glasgow. Unfortunately, I was told she cannot fly direct to Glasgow as she needs to go to Heathrow first since they are the only international arrival facility for dogs. I've been warned it could take some hours but they will let her out and give her water etc, vet check her before sending her on another plane north. Thankfully though there is no quarantine in UK (unlike Australia). The quote by the way was $4005. I will be getting another quote.

I have to say that it is freaking me out sending her all that way in a crate, unable to get out for some 30hrs, its a long time and she can be a bit freaked out by noise. I was also told that they dont like to give dogs any medication to relax them incase they take a reaction to it........I'd be interested in hearing anyones experience in shipping their dog that distance, be it Oz to UK or vice versa.

Dear All

I just had another idea for you! Pets can come into Manchester ( I am sure that Emirates fly from Australia to Dubai to Manchester) which is a bit closer or we can collect and drive from Heathrow to Glasgow - cost around £600. or we we have a return journey then i can do it a bit cheaper but you have to get a bit lucky!

I have found Dogtainers and Pet Carriers to be a bit cheaper than Jetpets and very good, so it is worth getting a quote from them.

Thee key thing to seeing how these pets travel is to see them bouncing out of the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow looking like they have done nothing at all rather than a huge international flight.

Best of luck to you all and if we can help let me know.

bob

Edited by BobPetairUK

We brought our dog from UK to Perth 6 months ago and he was absolutely fine. He is flying back to UK tomorrow and I won't be worrying so much this time. I believe they don't sedate dogs because they could cause a problem and they can't check on the dog whilst in flight. My dog doesn't like loud noises but I think being in the crate might make them feel safe.

• 2 months later...
I think if you call DAFF they will have a list of recognised VETS, I got the name of one only 25mins drive which is good, because I'll need to go there at least 3 times. (once for rabies shot, once for blood test 30days later, and once to pick up the paperwork if the blood test shows she is immune).

As for transport. I have had one quote from Jetpets which includes collecting my Skye Terrier my home (1hr) outside Sydney 24hours before flight, prepare her (she needs to be wormed), prepare all the paperwork for customs, provide a suitable carrier, and delivery to my place of residence (1/2hr) outside Glasgow. Unfortunately, I was told she cannot fly direct to Glasgow as she needs to go to Heathrow first since they are the only international arrival facility for dogs. I've been warned it could take some hours but they will let her out and give her water etc, vet check her before sending her on another plane north. Thankfully though there is no quarantine in UK (unlike Australia). The quote by the way was $4005. I will be getting another quote.

I have to say that it is freaking me out sending her all that way in a crate, unable to get out for some 30hrs, its a long time and she can be a bit freaked out by noise. I was also told that they dont like to give dogs any medication to relax them incase they take a reaction to it........I'd be interested in hearing anyones experience in shipping their dog that distance, be it Oz to UK or vice versa.

Did you manage to get any more quotes. Did you look into doing it all yourself to see if its cheaper.

We shipped our dog over 6 months ago and looks like we're shipping her back again. She coped reasonably well with it all. She didn't like the crate or quarantine but she seems to have forgotten all about it now. When she was on the flight I think we all thought about her and wondered how she was but I rang the quarantine when she arrived and they said she was fine. Its probably what they say to everyone so you don't worry but she honestly was ok when I went to see her.

Did you manage to get any more quotes. Did you look into doing it all yourself to see if its cheaper.

We shipped our dog over 6 months ago and looks like we're shipping her back again. She coped reasonably well with it all. She didn't like the crate or quarantine but she seems to have forgotten all about it now. When she was on the flight I think we all thought about her and wondered how she was but I rang the quarantine when she arrived and they said she was fine. Its probably what they say to everyone so you don't worry but she honestly was ok when I went to see her.

I recently shipped my dog back to the uk without using a transport company. I'm happy to help anyone who wants to do the same.

Alison

• 1 month later...
I recently shipped my dog back to the uk without using a transport company. I'm happy to help anyone who wants to do the same.

Alison

I'd be interested to hear how it went - did you find you had many dramas or was it pretty much plain sailing? what about cost - did you manage to do it yourself cheaper?