Advice on whether to bring our two dogs?

Guest 2AussieBoys

Guest 2AussieBoys

Hi All,

We are in the final stages of our PR visa application to WA. Hopefully heading there early next year so already starting to put together a plan of action. Our problem is we have two beloved labs (currently 13 and 10). Between vets, shipping and quarantine (we're in ireland) it's going to cost us the guts of EUR€7k. Our eldest (male) will be 14.5 at that stage. Our other dog will be going on 11 and she's missing her front leg so can't walk very well as it is.

We'll have to make a decision soon as it's going to cost us EUR€1k for vets bills for rabies, screening etc.. which I know you need to get done sooner rather than later.

I can't bear the thoughts of not bringing them with us and I don't even know if anyone would even take them for us. This is causing me sleepless nights as they were my babies long before my (human) babies came along.

Any advice appreciated.

My heart goes out to you having to make this decision. We are kinda in the same boat. We too have two labs that we want to take with us, slighty different that ours (brothers, went to get one for DH birthday but two left and couldnt leave one behind) are 5yrs in August, so no real issue with age.

Our move has only come about since Feb this year. DH offered a 457 sponsored job. Everyone local knows what our babies mean to us so 1st question upon hearing about the move was "what about the boys", " well, were not going without them"our reply. Only then i didnt realise the cost, so basically DH will go out before the rest of the family while we try and save to get our darling boys over (will point out we do have 2 human daughters who we also love dearly, or should i say c ost us dearly:confused:).

If we could sell the house and get the equity there wouldnt be a prob but nothing doing on that front, but the good news today is that the car has sold. 1st thing i said was yeah anough for one dog, just a few more months of going without while saving to get both out:cry:.

Anyways ive gone off track here havn't i. My 1st thought when reading your post was, if i wasnt going i would gladly take your beloved babes. How do you think they would cope with the flight is my main thought at their ages. I only ask because one of ours who is the boss of his brother and the rest of us in the household is actually a real scaredy cat when it come to things like the hoover being on etc and always runs off and hides in our bed so i do worry how he wil cope with a jumbo jet taking off and landing:wink:

Are your babes generally in fine fettle. Has a vet looked them over yet. So much to think about. Lots of reasons not to take them but when your over there and your on a beach, in a park etc and you know its a place they would love would you regret not having them there and watching their enjoyment.

We are taking our 2 labs although they are a lot younger than your 2 and it is costing a lot of money but we just couldn't leave them behind they are part of the family ! Maybe you should ask your vet if they would be ok to travel, if so unless you can find a family member who could have them then I would try to take them cos the way i look at it is that we are giving up enough to emigrate so don't want to give up our dogs as well, good luck with what ever you decide xx

Guest garyheidi7

Hi

Go and visit your vet and ask for some advise.

We went for his advise and basically said no due to their age.

Good luck

Me again!!

If you were to go without them is there a dedicated lab rehoming place near you. We have one where i live and they are nothing but great (if not a little over zealous) ie you have to jump thru hoops and proove again and again that you will be a good mummy n daddy to these babies. All for the best though:cute:

Guest 2AussieBoys

Thank you all so much for your replies. My hubby was on to the vets who said they'd defo need to take a look at the older fella because of his age, he's in good shape although I am starting to see things like straining to urinate and he has definitely slowed down now. He's still a professional beggar at the dinner table though :)

If they were younger it would be a no brainer - like you fifi I would stay here until I had the money to get them over - it's just the thoughts of bringing them over and they don't make the flight or quarantine, I would never forgive myself.

I think my Father in law would take one of them but then I couldn't take one and not the other. I don't see them being re-homed as they are old but I'll ask around.

Aarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh - why does Oz have to be so far away!!

It will cost a minimum AUD$1305 for the first dog and AUD$1125 for the second in quarantine in Perth. Your vet bills are about right. Shipping will be about €6,000 plus. Have you had any quotes yet? Try K International or Multi Cargo in Dublin for quotes. Also I think pet travel insurance would be a good idea. It is also recommended that your pet has it's passport if you are returning to the country.

There is no right/wrong decision. There are re-homing charities that will find a new home if you feel they are too old to travel. Also try and deal with a vet that mostly works with pets rather than larger animals, I find they are more in tune with pet owners.

I'm also in the same boat. My 14 year old mut has a bad ticker and has been ruled out of travelling / quarantine by the vet. Can't bear leaving him behind and don't know what to do. I've read on the internet that emigration is not a good enough reason to bring your dog to a rehoming centre. I also have been unable to find any information on rehoming websites for people who need their dog rehomed. I suppose this is to discourage people bringing in their dogs for rehoming on a whim. I have visions of building up the courage to visit a rehoming centre only to be told I am selfish and unworthy of their help. I sent an e-mail to a local centre a couple of weeks ago but it was ignored.

Guest 2AussieBoys

SHandGH - My two dogs are rescue dogs and went through hell when they were younger so I really don't want them to have to live the rest of their days with people they dont know. Would someone you know take your dog for you? I think that's the only way I could bear to leave them - I'd be able to see them on Skype then :)

SHandGH - My two dogs are rescue dogs and went through hell when they were younger so I really don't want them to have to live the rest of their days with people they dont know. Would someone you know take your dog for you? I think that's the only way I could bear to leave them - I'd be able to see them on Skype then :)

I dont know anyone who is in a position to take him.

I just got an e-mail from the local rehoming centre. They told me to get lost in the nicest possible way.

• 2 months later...
Guest kerrywinder

HI,

We have just moved over for UK to Sunshine coast, My best friend Toby our Labradoodle is now in Quarantine for 30 days in Sydney, He has been there 5 days so far.

If I had know what a ordeal he would go through I would have left him with family in UK.

both our cat Whiskers and Toby were flown over costing us a small fortune in UK as well with all the extra costs once they get here.

Whiskers is fine she is a lazy 11 year old cat so quite happy sleeping and not doing much, but our Toby who is 3 is really not happy, we have rung the quarantine station and they have advised us to get a walker to help with his loneliness and anxiety and to give him some chews. he is only allowed to be walked twice a week for 30 mins at a time. he is very upset when the staff leave him as he nips they ankles (which he has never done before)

The walkers is costing $150 and will walk him and take treats in for us. and also email us some photos. Toby has always been use to kennels when we went on holiday etc so I am very surprised and upset what we are putting him thought !:sad:

I really wish I had left him with family as he was staying with them for 3 weeks after we moved here and looked very happy.

also all the problems we had trying to get a dog friendly family home took use about 2 months to get one.

I hope he will be OK but I definitely wouldnt advise flying older dogs over :em4600:

sorry to be so negative but I am having a bad day thinking of Toby all alone and confused.

Edited by kerrywinder

:( Its so sad..

we left our samoyeds... Ours did not get on so we had rehomed our 3 yr old already.

but our boy, we had from rescue from a young age, he was our baby, but at 10 and panting in the heat in the summers in the UK, we knew he would struggle and due to his age felt it was unfair for us to move him to a different country, quarantine, flights, trying to find a dog friendly rental, etc.. We had to put him first.

I rehomed him with a lady who had lost her dog, lived alone and lived near a beach. I will remember him and keep my imagination as having fun on that beach and happy...

its been 3.5 yrs since we left him and not a day goes by when we dont think about hime or talk about him..

Edited by fairystar32