Australian address required for an import???

sazgeering

Hi - could anyone clear this up for me/help out?

I've been looking into taking our cat with us to Oz (Perth specifically), but it seems that to be able to book quarantine accomodation you need an import permit, but to get a permit you have to have an australian address???

This is going to be a problem for us, as I've been advised it could take 4 weeks for the import permit to come through, and then obviously there might not necessarily be quarantine accomodation at short notice to book.

We are probably going to move out there first and leave our cat with my parents (who luckily for us own a kennels and cattery, so its ideal) - but we probably won't have an address secured before we get there, and we don't know anyone out there and are also unlikely to have employers secured either (as we were advised we could use an employers address).

We really wouldn't like to leave our cat in the cattery for a month to wait for an import permit, only to find it is another couple of months to secure quarantine accomodation (then obviously a month in quarantine out in Oz) - this could potentially be a very long time for our cat to stay in a cattery!

Anybody got any helpful advice?

Dear Sazgeering

Perth quarantine does get booked up as it is the smallest, so short notice bookings are not always possible.

You can apply for a permit with any Australian address - friend/relative/even work address and number - to get the permit, then once your cat arrives give quarantine a call and give them all your current details. That should make it easier. Failing that, you will need to get address in Australia and numbers when you get over there and then apply - the permits can take up to 4 weeks at really busy times but at the moment they take about 1 week and also the waiting list at Perth is quite short at the moment too. One client who went over had a migration agent, welcoming service in Perth to show him round once he arrived and he used their details. This may be useful for you if you know no-one over there. Someone else booked themselves into a caravan park for their first 4 weeks so they had somewhere to live - they used that address. You can buy Australian sim cards for your phone in UK, so you can get a number that way.

Not sure if it is help or hindrance, but we offer a service to collect your cat from your parents, apply for permits, apply for export papers and complete export papers, so everything you need to get your cat landed in Perth. Our quote is as below with some notes:

Flight ticket and crate - £935

Application for and Completion of DEFRA papers - £75 - your vet is likely to charge you this to complete it, so you can pay this to us or your vets

Application for permit (including filling out RNATT form) - £275 - this will cost you (and us) $325AUD (about £230) plus whatever your vet charges to complete the RNATT form - so it is about the same to get us to do it as it is for you to do it yourself.

Collection from your parents - depends on where they are in UK or they can bring to our base in Windsor, UK if they prefer.

Give us a shout if we can help

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com

• 1 year later...
Hi - could anyone clear this up for me/help out?

I've been looking into taking our cat with us to Oz (Perth specifically), but it seems that to be able to book quarantine accomodation you need an import permit, but to get a permit you have to have an australian address???

This is going to be a problem for us, as I've been advised it could take 4 weeks for the import permit to come through, and then obviously there might not necessarily be quarantine accomodation at short notice to book.

We are probably going to move out there first and leave our cat with my parents (who luckily for us own a kennels and cattery, so its ideal) - but we probably won't have an address secured before we get there, and we don't know anyone out there and are also unlikely to have employers secured either (as we were advised we could use an employers address).

We really wouldn't like to leave our cat in the cattery for a month to wait for an import permit, only to find it is another couple of months to secure quarantine accomodation (then obviously a month in quarantine out in Oz) - this could potentially be a very long time for our cat to stay in a cattery!

Anybody got any helpful advice?

We are in a similar position with our dogs. Vaccinations done but need Aussie address for booking and permit. Coming in oct, booking short term let once house sold and can firm up dates. Could anyone please assist with providing an address for the initial permit until we can firm up a let? I'm sure this is a problem experienced by lots of previous migrants :-)