Areas to live in Melbourne

Guest alibrown

Guest alibrown

I am relocating to Melbourne with my husband and 16 month old son - areas that seem to offer quite a lot of house for your money are Box Hill and Mount Waverley - any views on these areas for a young family? We basically want to be able to live somewhere with space outside to play, near parks and is quiet. I will be working in Central Mebourne area with my head office being in Hawthorn and areas that have been recommended like St Kilda or Hampton are a bit too pricey for a decent sized place.

Thanks

Guest Wembley

Hi Ali,

Have you had any luck yet? My wife and I also have a child of a similar age and are moving to Melbourne in Sept. We're staying in Springvale initially (as we have family there) but want to rent asap.

Stay in touch! and Good luck!

Pete

Guest alibrown

Hi Pete

Thanks for getting in touch - what date do you go? We are waiting for my visa coming through but work seem to think it is possible for 1st September........

I have provisionally booked us into a serviced apartment for our first 2 weeks but within that we HAVE to find somewhere to live and we have decided we will just have to manage with a futon and cot for son until our things arrive - so that will be fun!!!!

Work have recommended following areas to look at;

Port Melbourne , South Melbourne , Malvern , Richmond , Caulfield , Bentleigh , Carnegie , Chadstone. I am just looking at this website every day www.realestate.com.au but until we get there it is really hard to pick where to live. Prices of Mount Waverley seem really good.

Who have you decided to fly out with?

Hope you aren't all getting as stressed as we are ; )

Ali

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Hi,

Maybe it's a bit too far out for you but Berwick' a nice place, it's about a 20 minute drive from Punt Road. (Every time we visit my family the freeway signs always tell us how many minutes we are from Punt Road, one day I'm going to go there:cool: ) Also, my brother works in St.Kilda and he certainly wouldn't choose to live there.

Box Hill, Mount Waverley are nice areas as is Glen Waverley and Mulgrave.

Doncaster and Doncaster East are also lovely areas and have access to the city easily.

Going over the Yarra, Kew, Ivanhoe, Rosanna, Bulleen very nice areas too.

Have a google on google earth and follow the train lines.

Ascotvale, Moonee Ponds, Essendon are also popular areas for the city.

Good luck.

Guest Wembley

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Hi Ali,

Well...fairly stressed, I finish work on the 28th Aug, fly to Melbourne on the 31st and start work on the 15th Sept. Tracie and my son Luke are leaving next week and are staying at her mums in Auckland for a couple of months (to catch- up with her etc), another reason is our SECOND child is due in Dec! Tracie's due to come over at the end of Sept, hopefully I'll have rented accomodation by then, for the meanwhile, I'll be lodging with friends of the family.

Me stressed?...most definately!

P.S. Flying with Malaysia airlines, though the prices/quality are much the same with most of the airlines.

Stay in touch!

Pete

I am relocating to Melbourne with my husband and 16 month old son - areas that seem to offer quite a lot of house for your money are Box Hill and Mount Waverley - any views on these areas for a young family? We basically want to be able to live somewhere with space outside to play, near parks and is quiet. I will be working in Central Mebourne area with my head office being in Hawthorn and areas that have been recommended like St Kilda or Hampton are a bit too pricey for a decent sized place.

Thanks

Hi Ali

How often will you need to travel to Hawthorn? will you travel from your home to Hawthorn or from your office in the cbd?

The only reason i ask is if you hardly/never need to go to your head office the whole of Melbourne is open to you. Will you be renting or looking to buy?

Geoffrey

Guest alibrown

Hi Everyone

I can't get over how helpful everyone is being - from this forum to people in Australia in general....

Geoffrey, I will be doing a mix of lots of driving for work around central melbourne and working from home some days initially but then after a few months I may end up being office based in Hawthorn.

Pete, I have very similar time frame to you - give or take a week or two.

I have emailed a load of rental agents but had no replies and and been told by work that properties are going really quick so you have to be quick to get a deposit down.

Let me know how your house hunting goes although in theory we should be in a house before you are so we will let you know what we find.

Take care

Ali

Archived