is it truly hard to get a rental in Melbourne suburbs?

emurivjae

We are planning to move in February and will be needing to find a rental somewhat near Burwood (Ferntree Gully, Rowville, Ringwood and the like is within distance)... BUT I have been told its very competitive to get a rental so now I'm a bit worried.

We have two young kids and are looking to find a house (not apartment) around $400/week in a good area. Will this be difficult to do in that price range and area? What should we plan to expect?

We can't really be without a place to live, as we need to set up, keep the stress down for our kids and start uni shortly after arriving.

Its important to have all your paperwork ready to submit when you view a property. We have lots of threads on what paperwork to submit so you should get a good idea of whats needed.

Also, dont really on the websites, pop into agents that cover the areas your looking at and ask them whats coming available to fit your time frame.

Hope this helps

Cal x

We are planning to move in February and will be needing to find a rental somewhat near Burwood (Ferntree Gully, Rowville, Ringwood and the like is within distance)... BUT I have been told its very competitive to get a rental so now I'm a bit worried.

We have two young kids and are looking to find a house (not apartment) around $400/week in a good area. Will this be difficult to do in that price range and area? What should we plan to expect?

We can't really be without a place to live, as we need to set up, keep the stress down for our kids and start uni shortly after arriving.

The Australian rental makets have always been very competitive. All the PomsinOz before you have managed to secure one though and so will you. Most people are sorted within a few weeks. It is important to be very organised, have a "rental pack" ready with your documents, pre-fill in the application forms for the houses you think you might like and hand in promptly if you do so.

Ours was all done online... requested the viewing online. Was then sent the application form to fill in - in advance.

Once we had attended the viewing we were provided with a reference number which we had to put on the application to be able to submit it.

One week later the place was ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest u create an account on realestate.com.au and fill in their online form along with all the attachments they need...

Once you know your arrival dates 3 weeks before daily short list the houses you would like to visit. ..

The dates will immediately reflect on your Google calendar there by giving you an idea of your iternary

Keep a viewing of maximum 3-4 houses in a day. .. if you hire a car you can do more. ...

Once your visit and like the house immediately then and there apply for it from the same realestate.com.au application

This will put you first in line for reference checks and availability. ..

Another trick you can use is put it in your profile that you are ready to pay 3 months rent upfront in addition to the deposit (of course if you can afford it )

The readiness of funds may give you a slight advantage over the others. ..

Best regards

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I work in Burwood and used to live in Box Hill. Jan-Feb is peak season for rentals in Melbourne as a whole, but competition shouldn't be too fierce in the areas that you're looking at, especially if you can demonstrate that you're solid tenants (and therefore potentially preferable to students).

There's good advice in previous replies about getting all your supporting documentation together in advance. I included a cover letter outlining my circumstances, a copy of my visa grant letter and a reference from my previous UK landlord with my applications. No idea if it made a difference, but I got offered all three places that I applied for.

If you've got specific queries about Burwood (or Deakin, if that's the uni in question), feel free to PM me.

I work in Burwood and used to live in Box Hill. Jan-Feb is peak season for rentals in Melbourne as a whole, but competition shouldn't be too fierce in the areas that you're looking at, especially if you can demonstrate that you're solid tenants (and therefore potentially preferable to students).

There's good advice in previous replies about getting all your supporting documentation together in advance. I included a cover letter outlining my circumstances, a copy of my visa grant letter and a reference from my previous UK landlord with my applications. No idea if it made a difference, but I got offered all three places that I applied for.

If you've got specific queries about Burwood (or Deakin, if that's the uni in question), feel free to PM me.

Thank you to everyone for the advice shared. We will have everything on hand as ready as possible. We're a little hesitant with kids to rent without going to the places first so we're planning to stay at a furnished extend-stay hotel and then find a rental in person as quickly as possible to minimize the hole burning in our pockets ha.

Thank you to everyone for the advice shared. We will have everything on hand as ready as possible. We're a little hesitant with kids to rent without going to the places first so we're planning to stay at a furnished extend-stay hotel and then find a rental in person as quickly as possible to minimize the hole burning in our pockets ha.

For what it's worth we have been staying in a Holiday Site for our first month (albeit in a different part of the country) - Brisbane Holiday Village to be exact.

We are staying in a 2 bed corporate cabin, with two small children. It's been challenging at times, but frankly was a very sensible way to get ourselves sorted, work started, car bought and then searching for our first rental for 6-12 months while we really work out where we want to live.

I imagine there may be similar in Melbourne - might be worth a thought.

Good luck

Ferrets

For what it's worth we have been staying in a Holiday Site for our first month (albeit in a different part of the country) - Brisbane Holiday Village to be exact.

We are staying in a 2 bed corporate cabin, with two small children. It's been challenging at times, but frankly was a very sensible way to get ourselves sorted, work started, car bought and then searching for our first rental for 6-12 months while we really work out where we want to live.

I imagine there may be similar in Melbourne - might be worth a thought.

Good luck

Ferrets

What you're doing is the sensible route. We'll do similar in Mornington, Melbourne, when we arrive.

It's going to be effing madness with the 5 of us (2 + 3 kids) but looking forward to it nonetheless.

B

Have a look at the rentals on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au in the areas you are interested in. Remember they use photo shop so what you see may be different from reality but it will give you an idea of what rent you will have to pay. The areas you are looking in are very popular areas and if there is a train line nearby the rent will reflect the position. Good luck

Guest The Pom Queen

You won't get one before you arrive, so you need to forget that. 99.9% of agents will not rent to you without meeting you and you viewing the property. I can't advise you on the current vacation rate as I've been gone 6 years now. Find a short term rental, I would recommend 4 weeks and then start applying. Always attend any OFI with the application form already completed, it will give you a lead above any others.