Broadband in a rented apartment

Hi,

Can someone clarify because I'm really not getting this.

I just moved into a new rented apartment. As part of the landlord information sheet they left, they stated: "The landline number, if you wish to have it reconnected, is 08 xxx xxxxxx".

So; if I'm trying to get broadband installed here -- am I supposed to give the company this telephone number as the one in use at this address? There is a phone here (it's furnished) but there is no dial tone.

It's confusing me because I tried to order broadband from Belong, and they said that the previous tenants didn't have Telstra after I told them there was a phone line already hooked up and ready to be reconnected (I was hoping an engineer wouldn't need a home visit as I can't take any time off to sit in for the engineer). They said an engineer would need to come out, so I had to cancel the order.

Can someone clarify for me what's the situation? Given the landlord has provided a telephone number -- does this actually have any bearing at all? I thought your number got passed around once it was disconnected in Australia.

Thanks.

Hi Peter, I've gone through several of these with my clients. So the number your landlord gave you is basically useless. Belong requires a working phone number, i.e., connected. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are using that line. They just need to have a working line. And yea, you have to be there for the technician to come through. I don't know why they have to be there though since I just assumed there is some switch they can flick. The good thing is that the waiting window is four hours as opposed to 8 (I can't believe this is actually a good thing). The last one I did for my clients, Belong gave me the 10am to 2pm window and the guy arrived at 1:50pm and didn't finish till 4:15pm. Whole day gone. Another option is to get a dongle....

Thanks for this, that was great to know I'm not losing the plot! Well, as luck would have it, Telstra called today to confirm the engineer appointment -- even though I'd called Belong last night and cancelled everything as I'd never be in to let this guy get access.

He said on the phone he didn't need into the apartment and lo and behold when I came home the phone line appears to have a dial tone. So, I've asked Belong to reinstate the original order again and we'll see what happens. Whew! It was looking like I might have to get a dongle there, but the plans just suck for data allowance. No chance of Netflix on those!

You should get that modem in a couple of days time. The good thing is that they just deliver it with or without anyone to receive that modem. So you don't have to lose work. And then you wait for about three weeks. If you are staying for long term, have you checked out Optus? From what I saw in adverts recently they are giving 6 months free access to Netflix.

PS. If you lose the plot, you can smash that modem to release angst. Apparently, you don't have to return that thing when you're done using Belong.