Renting in Sydney-a few questions!

pennywise

Hi everyone!

I've been browsing this forum for a while but this is my first post. I currently live in London - A few days ago I accepted a job offer in Sydney and will be moving out in a couple of months on a 457 visa. I'm a 29 year old single female and will be earning $85,000 p/a (inc super). I'll be working in North Sydney. I'm excited but a bit overwhelmed at how much I have to do in just 8 weeks!

I'll be looking to get a flatshare when I arrive (company is giving me two weeks temp accomm) - however I've had a browse of rental sites and I'm a bit concerned about budget/commute times/competitiveness of flats! I could probably afford up to $400 a week on rent, and I'm wondering which areas to focus on to get the most for my money with the minimum commute time (I hate commuting!). Unlike London which I know like the back of my hand I have no idea which areas are easily commutable to North Sydney!

So far I've been looking at places within walking distance e.g.

- Kirribilli

- Neutral Bay

These seem to have a few nice flatshares available (but not loads) - are these good areas to live? I'm sociable and a bit of a foodie so I like going out to eat/for drinks etc but I want to come home to a quiet flat not a party flat. Surry Hills seems fun and easy to get to North Sydney via Central Station but it seems a bit more studenty in terms of what's available.

I'd also like to get somewhere furnished as buying furniture seems like major hassle especially without a car. Are furnished rooms common?

Do people typically ask for previous landlord references for flatshares? I don't have any recent references as I've been living in a flat I part-own in London for the last 4 years.

Any advice on the above or other places I should consider to easily commute to North Sydney would be greatly received!

I'll be looking to get a flatshare when I arrive (company is giving me two weeks temp accomm) - however I've had a browse of rental sites and I'm a bit concerned about budget/commute times/competitiveness of flats! I could probably afford up to $400 a week on rent

Are furnished rooms common?

Do people typically ask for previous landlord references for flatshares? I don't have any recent references as I've been living in a flat I part-own in London for the last 4 years.

Kirribilli and Neutral Bay are nice areas, many Sydneysiders would kill to live there - they're the Dress Circle of Sydney so rentals are more expensive. In general, the North Shore is on the quiet side but it's cafe society with plenty of restaurants. Look at Crow's Nest/St Leonards to save you a bit of money - there are loads of buses on the Pacific Highway and it's only 10 minutes or so on the bus.

I don't see any point in being in Surry Hills or anywhere East of the city because you'll pay about the same price as Neutral Bay and you'll have to commute.

Working out the commute from other areas is easy - look at the train network and then check the timetables. Like London, there's no point even considering driving, and buses get stuck in traffic too.

http://www.transportnsw.info

The Inner West is much, much cheaper and the commute is pretty good if you're on the train line. For instance, Summer Hill is a lovely little suburb with a pub, cafes and restaurants. Watch out for aircraft noise in Petersham and Stanmore. Newtown is lively but also very studenty.

Edited by Marisawright

Google maps can also help... if you search for the address of the place you're interested in, click on directions and then put in your work address it will show you routes and travel times by car, public transport, walking and cycling.

I've found it to be pretty accurate. There's also the journey planner on Transport NSW as Marisa already mentioned.

Dulwich Hill is a nice suburb close to the city. It has a station and good bus service. I know two young females who rent a two bedroom townhouse there and share the rent of $400 per week.

Good example of how much cheaper it is "out west". I live near there and it also has a light rail line and a train. It, and Lewisham, are examples of suburbs that used to be a bit down-market but are now becoming gentrified with cafes, restaurants etc.

Edited by Marisawright

^^ I forgot about the light rail line! Another suburb I like is Lilyfield.

The only problem with the light rail is that it's s-l-o-o-o-w compared to the train. Not a problem when you're on an outing because it's all above ground and it's nice looking out of the windows, but when you're commuting not so good.

The only problem with the light rail is that it's s-l-o-o-o-w compared to the train. Not a problem when you're on an outing because it's all above ground and it's nice looking out of the windows, but when you're commuting not so good.

I looked it up - Dulwich Hill to Central is 18 minutes by train and 43 minutes by light rail. It would want to be a pretty special view to justify those extra 50 minutes a day for a return journey.

I wouldn't call Surry Hills particularly 'studenty!' There are students there (including me, now I've started my Open Uni degree) and there are three universities and Sydney Technical College all within walking distance. But it's also 'trenditity' and 'fooditity' and 'rag-tradeitity' and 'yuppitity'.

If you have a job within walking distance of North Sydney station, and you live in Surry Hills, well, walk to Central station, and it's four stops - Town Hall, Wynyard, (I can't BELIEVE it! I've forgotten whether it's Milsons Point or Kirribilli station!? -Milsons Point!, North Sydney.

But it's just as pleasant to live in Neutral Bay, Kirribilli, Cremorne, Cammeray, Crows Nest, North Sydney itself. I lived in Neutral Bay and Cammeray and would recommend either of them. Many of my younger friends seem to live in flat or house shares, although I've noticed that they sometimes get 'browned off' after a while and put up with the expense of renting their own places. One of them has just got a one bedroom flat in Cleveland St, Surry Hills. (Strictly speaking, it may be 'Redfern' if it's south of Cleveland St. Nothing wrong with Redfern either, which has become very 'cool' of late, and only one stop further than Central. Maybe look at 'Erko' aka Erskineville, if you want that trendy 'village' atmosphere, and Newtown for, I'm told, 'Camden atmos.', also with a station.)

Hya,

Basically - you are moving to another London but with nice weather. So, what-ever thought process you would use for living in London - just apply them to Sydney.

For example, if you are looking in recognized and established 'nice' area - you will be paying mega bucks. If the location looks like a long way away on the map - it is, and it will be a nightmare commute. Example, my mate lives at McMahons point. 2x bed flat, 1x bathroom no air con and no heating for $750 a week.

What money were you on in London in pounds - cause 85k inc super is a pretty bum deal in Sydney. You need to be over 100,000 plus super really......

Hi everyone!

I've been browsing this forum for a while but this is my first post. I currently live in London - A few days ago I accepted a job offer in Sydney and will be moving out in a couple of months on a 457 visa. I'm a 29 year old single female and will be earning $85,000 p/a (inc super). I'll be working in North Sydney. I'm excited but a bit overwhelmed at how much I have to do in just 8 weeks!

I'll be looking to get a flatshare when I arrive (company is giving me two weeks temp accomm) - however I've had a browse of rental sites and I'm a bit concerned about budget/commute times/competitiveness of flats! I could probably afford up to $400 a week on rent, and I'm wondering which areas to focus on to get the most for my money with the minimum commute time (I hate commuting!). Unlike London which I know like the back of my hand I have no idea which areas are easily commutable to North Sydney!

So far I've been looking at places within walking distance e.g.

- Kirribilli

- Neutral Bay

These seem to have a few nice flatshares available (but not loads) - are these good areas to live? I'm sociable and a bit of a foodie so I like going out to eat/for drinks etc but I want to come home to a quiet flat not a party flat. Surry Hills seems fun and easy to get to North Sydney via Central Station but it seems a bit more studenty in terms of what's available.

I'd also like to get somewhere furnished as buying furniture seems like major hassle especially without a car. Are furnished rooms common?

Any advice on the above or other places I should consider to easily commute to North Sydney would be greatly received!

Yes those are nice areas to live in, so is Surrey Hills and it is not studenty but I can't think why you would live there if you are working in North Sydney and don't like commuting. I would just look at a map and go see places when you get here, there is no need to have narrowed it down to one or two suburbs before you arrive.

Most property in Australia is unfurnished, maybe different for flat shares, I don't know.

My brother is staying with me and I've (noblely) given him my bed, I sleep on a camping type thin mattress. If u did end up in unfinished accommodation you can always get by like that until u get proper furniture.

I don't know what happens with share houses. The owner may furnish it if they are living there.

You can rent short term furnished flats if u want/can afford it.

Then there is "AirBnB" which if never heard of until last week but seems to involve people offering rooms in their homes?

Marrickville is OK, getting trendier all the time, maybe a little far from N Sydney for easy commuting? But I hate commuting! I'd probably live in N Sydney if I had just secured a job there and was moving into Sydney. Living in Surry Hills, for me, is like living at the centre of a wheel with all the other places at the end of the spokes. I like the beach but don't want to live there. Same with other parts of Sydney. Works for me but not for others.

Thanks all, very helpful especially on the transport links and lots of areas to look into. Think I've probably been looking a bit too central so far!

Is 85k really a bad deal for Sydney? I'm on 38k in London but only moved jobs a year ago, I was on 31k before that and that was fine so thought 85k seemed like a fair move to maintain the same sort of lifestyle.

Thanks all, very helpful especially on the transport links and lots of areas to look into. Think I've probably been looking a bit too central so far!

Is 85k really a bad deal for Sydney? I'm on 38k in London but only moved jobs a year ago, I was on 31k before that and that was fine so thought 85k seemed like a fair move to maintain the same sort of lifestyle.

Stay ray where you are! Lol!

Australia is more expensive than the UK. Ignore your super because you can't live on that, and work out how your actual salary compares to your UK one. Most people say you need 2.5 times your UK salary in dollars to get the same lifestyle. So, if you were on GBP31,000, you'd need AU$77,500.

Someone else said Sydney is like London, and I'd second that. The average person does not live in places like Kirribilli, they can't afford it! You will find pockets of older flats which are still relatively cheap, but they are usually shoeboxes, or very rundown. How close to the centre do you live in London? Don't expect to do better in Sydney.

Edited by Marisawright

Australia is more expensive than the UK. Ignore your super because you can't live on that, and work out how your actual salary compares to your UK one. Most people say you need 2.5 times your UK salary in dollars to get the same lifestyle. So, if you were on GBP31,000, you'd need AU$77,500.

Someone else said Sydney is like London, and I'd second that. The average person does not live in places like Kirribilli, they can't afford it! You will find pockets of older flats which are still relatively cheap, but they are usually shoeboxes, or very rundown. How close to the centre do you live in London? Don't expect to do better in Sydney.

$85k including superannuation is $77k without. Using the 2.5 multiplier, on GPB 38k you would need $95k before superannuation or $104 including superannuation. Having said that, when I moved 5 years ago a multiplier of 2.2 seeemed more approriate ($84k befoe super, $92k including super).

You also have to bear in mind that living costs a certain minimum. This minimum is pretty high in Australia. In Sydney, I would not want to be coping with life on much below $60-65k. Income above the minimum level buys you the extras in life that make it all seem worthwhile. Hence, if you are on $85k you could probably expect twice as much in the way of extras as if you were on $75k (using $65k as the bare minimum).

Also you need to factor in that new migrants will have a lot of one off expenses - so it is not just a question of maintaining an existing lifestyle, it is also about setting up a home.

$85k pa (including super) will net you $1140 a week.

Deduct $300-$350 a week for rent. You can live somewhere perfectly acceptable for that price in a flat share. You won't be living in a rundown shoebox or out in the sticks and there are plenty of nice-looking places available around the North Sydney area in that price range.

So that leaves around $800 a week to cover the rest of your costs. I would have thought that was plenty for a single person to live on. You can easily afford bills, food, gym memberships, mobile contracts, eating out etc.

Sure $85k pa won't be enough for you to buy a property in the area but you don't want to do that, do you?

$85k pa (including super) will net you $1140 a week.

Deduct $300-$350 a week for rent. You can live somewhere perfectly acceptable for that price in a flat share. You won't be living in a rundown shoebox or out in the sticks and there are plenty of nice-looking places available around the North Sydney area in that price range.

So that leaves around $800 a week to cover the rest of your costs. I would have thought that was plenty for a single person to live on. You can easily afford bills, food, gym memberships, mobile contracts, eating out etc.

Sure $85k pa won't be enough for you to buy a property in the area but you don't want to do that, do you?

I think this is a good point. If you're coming for an adventure and you're not worried about saving up for a mortgage etc, then I'd say it is a big enough salary. And I would never suggest living out "in the sticks". The inner west - Glebe, Lilyfield, Summer Hill etc are all lively suburbs with a sizeable young-professional population, and you will get more for your money there - which means you can put more aside for frequent weekends away, as I'm sure you'll want to see the rest of Australia.

I agree with Nicky and Marisa re how far your salary will stretch. If you're happy to house share and don't need to run a car (there's always GoGet), save for a deposit to buy or support dependants, I think you'll be right. Maybe you're the type of person who would prefer to live in one of the cheaper, edgier suburbs anyway (I am).

I've never lived in London, but is the cost of living really comparable with Sydney? I don't think we could afford to run a car and buy a 2 bed 2 bath flat as close to London CBD as our Erskineville flat is to Sydney CBD.

Edited by Naomi from Manchester

I lived in Lilyfield for a few months, lodging with some friends who had a townhouse on Norton St, and got to know the area well. The only negative thing was having to cross that six lane highway (West Link? Can't think of the name?) to get to the main part of Norton St and walk up to Leichhardt.

I don't think the cost of living differs much between London and Sydney now that the dollar has tanked. Rent, eating and drinking being the main factors. I also don't buy anything from the UK anymore, the shops here are often the same price. My (small and crappy) two bed flat that I own in South London rents out for 1300 GBP per month. I have a much nicer place here which I rent for $2500 per month in Newtown.

As long as the OP is not too extravagant, they will be fine for a pretty decent standard of living with holidays. A night out for $100 is pretty easy to find with dinner/drinks equates to 50 quid. Cabs a bit cheaper. You have to compare inner city Sydney with other capital cities - costs are comparable to NY/London/Auckland not Scunthorpe :) I spent about 80 quid on drinks and dinner in the West End last time I was in London, a round of 4 pints being close to 20 quid.

Not having a car and living central will make Sydney a lot more affordable.

I think you would have fun in a Surry Hills flatshare. You can catch the bus to the beach easily from there (usually not a given in Sydney) and it's just a short walk to Central Station in the morning for your train to North Sydney. If you don't have any dependents and you are okay with sharing then 77,000 after super is taken out should be fine. It's home to more young professionals that students now as it has gentrified a lot in the last few years.

There should be a checklist online somewhere of exactly what else you need, generally though I think its bank statements, proof of income, proof of identity and a couple of letters from old landlords, flatmates etc. Don't worry too much about the references if you don't have many, you could even get one from your new employer. What's important is that you are organised when you come to inspections, and that they can see you have steady income.