Six months here and this is my thoughts!

Kellie23

Hi everyone, those who are thinking about emigrating, those who have done it and those who have gone back to UK. Here's my opinions and feelings so far.....

so me, hubby and our 3 children 9,8 and 1 emigrated to the Gold Coast in September last year. We sold our house (big mistake) and we left our jobs and we set off for a "better life down under"!

Our lifes in the UK were not bad at all but the normal stuff everyone moans about in Kent where we came from did do our heads in. Like the amount of traffic, rubbish, foreigners and the worry about what it would be like in the future there for our children. We had Australia in our minds and wanted to give it a go rather than have regrets.

So we have been here six months. Kids are loving school now but we have been concerned how far behind the UK education system it is here. This we have now decided doesn't matter if the kids stay here and finish all there schooling here it's only a problem if you keep comparing.

we have made friends really easily.

hubby happy at work but has to do overtime to be able to get by. we have found cost of living really expensive. Especially things like Internet, mobile phones and tv packages. There's just not the choice here and unless you go with Telstra the signal can be non existent! We shop in aldi a lot but can't get everything in there, so quite annoying going to lots of different stores. I really miss my tesco's online shop. You can online shop here with Coles or woolies but it's def more expensive for groceries here.

we have bought a house here already as the renting malarkey I just hated! If anyone wants more info on that then inbox me but in reflection we probably should of carried on renting. Soon as you buy you lose rental assist from centrelink and you have to pay water rates as well as water usage and also council rates. So a big difference it ends up being between renting and buying. plus the upkeep of house. Lots to consider there. We decided to buy to see if that helped us feel more settled.

The weather! Well sept, October and November were perfect. But since December it has rained ALOT and been very hot and humid. This weekend has been rubbish as it's just rained the whole weekend and we find ourselves with less to do here than in the UK. As when it rain it's torrential not just drizzle.

Im actually missing the seasons already! Never thought I'd say that. I'm also missing our sun holidays staying in different parts of the UK at caravan parks. I'm missing lots about the UK that I totally took for granted whilst there.

Especially how close everything was as here we are totally reliant on cars.

we have had visitors already. My brother and then my cousins which was lovely but hated the goodbyes. We have my in laws coming in June for three weeks which we can't wait for and then my parents coming at Christmas.

I hate the bugs here! Especially the Mozzies, the flies and don't get me started on the huntsman spiders! I've also had the worst luck and had a snake in the garden! I was then ready to get back on a plane!

The hardest part of all is having no family support and dealing with the guilt of taking the kids away from there grandparents. Really missing family and friends loads.

the beaches here are amazing, the amount of space we love, the many parks for the kids is great and it is a more outdoor lifestyle when the weathers ok. But then again the UK can be just as outdoors but you need to be more prepared I guess. There are lots of sport on offer here for the kids which is good.

So so have we done the right thing? You tell me because I'm fed up with constantly thinking is this for us or not? Is this forever? I still can't imagine this being forever. By time our visitors have all been we would of been here 16 months so I'm wondering will I know the answer by then. The worst thing for us now is if we decided to go back and then regret it! The same problems will still be there (mainly too many people living in a small place) or maybe if we tried somewhere diff to kent

be interesting to hear if others have had same feelings as me? How have others felt after moving back?

The cost of migrating from visas, shipping, flights and setting up here is unreal! I'm just hoping it's all been worth it!

be good to hear others opinions

take care and happy easter

Kellie

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been here over 30 years Kellie and there are things about the UK I still miss but that's just when I start to feel sentimental after watching a programme on the telly showing the British countryside. As for bugs and insects - the midges in Scotland used to drive me nuts in the summer but I never saw many mosquitoes wherever I lived in Australia - didn't live in Qld. I always missed the four seasons so have retired to Tasmania - the leaves have just started to change colour and fall from the trees here. We had a lovely warm summer - not HOT. Are you working? Ask us in another year whether or not you have done the right thing.

Australia is a big place. Weather in SA completely different, much more like Spain. Where we live we can walk to shops, parks, restaurants etc. less than half an hour to drive to the beach. Just bear that in mind if you decide you don't like where you are then consider moving interstate before going back to UK.

Hi Kellie,

It was really interesting to read your honest post.

My wife and I (and our 23 month old son) are about to go through all the same things you describe. <==== in fact everything you mentioned from bugs, to TV to renting/buying is on our minds. We are just being positive that we WILL make it work.

We have a fairly good life here; we live in Newmarket which we really like, near grandparents. We have good jobs and love our house and we're giving it all up on the idea of a better life in Australia!

We leave in exactly a month. Our house is on the market to be sold we we are hoping to complete asap.

We are doing it all because we think the quality of life will be better. Things like the outdoor lifestyle - our son loves being outside and we look forward to taking him to parks etc.

Can i ask what you and your husband do for work now / did in UK?

I think we're lucky as my wife's sister lives in Melbourne (which is where we're going).

We have full visa's but another reason we're doing it is because when my wife turns 32 we lose more points and then it becomes increasingly difficult. We would rather go and come back then to stay in England and always regret never going or trying.

Apologies there's not many questions above, and i know you wanted more from people already in Oz who have undergone same thing.

We have a fairly good life here; we live in Newmarket which we really like, near grandparents. We have good jobs and love our house and we're giving it all up on the idea of a better life in Australia!

I sincerely hope Australia works out for you James because it sounds like you're giving up a lot of really great things for this dream! Best of luck.

I sincerely hope Australia works out for you James because it sounds like you're giving up a lot of really great things for this dream! Best of luck.

I think you read my mind! About 15 minutes ago I read out the same sentence you have quoted above to my OH and said "that sentence says it all". We then started having a conversation about why people come to Australia and what their expectations are.

Honestly, if you think coming to Australia is going to better way of life financially then you may well be mistaken. If you want financial security you are going to have to put the hours in to get it, the days of overpaid jobs are coming to an end.

The cost of living here is greater than the UK so bear that in mind, it does make a Hugh difference where you live as well. Another thing to bear in mind when moving with kids is the cost of bringing them up here compared to the UK, most of the things you took for granted in the UK you have to pay for here and that applies to a lot of things.

Really need to do your research regarding Australia now and not 10yrs ago before you make the move.

We have lived here nearly 4 years have older grown up kids who made the move with us as well and to be honest would never move back to the UK. Don't get me wrong, we miss family and friends etc. but you have to live your own life.

I agree with most ya saying . Must be different weather on the Gold Coast though than where I am ...we tend to get the rain at night or tea time ish ...we have all day of lovely weather ...wish it would bugga off when I'm cleaning in it . I have been out on the roads in two storms in just over twelve month not bad .

If you have bought ya house , I can see why you did to help ya settle .

Im wondering if I'll feel any better when I buy and I will eventually buy I think that's me plan anyway lol

rates and water and whatever doesn't bother me I expect it .

sometimes It doesn't pay be a higher earner what's rent assist ?

I carnt get on the ladder with a lower deposit like a lot of my friends have I don't qualify . I wish lol although my hubbie thinks it's not the right time yet but me I'm a bit of I make a decision and go for it , my hubbie does the thinking haha .

my hubby won't sell our house in uk not the right time .

My my plan is to have one here and there and have the best of both eventually ,whether I will is another story .

I miss home , miss tesco , asda , stainsburys , marks , British home stores home , miss next , miss debenhams , miss going different cities for shopping .

Inread ya ya post and you are very lucky to have family come out here to visit you .

Mine won't come to visit , my mother is trying get me go back ,and so is hubbies mum , and so is my son lol , my son as been out last year with my grandson , I'm going back for christmas because christmas is crap here , I also miss the seasons too , no matter how hard I try I still miss my old life .christmas I loved ,I made a effort a massive effort in uk ...and here but didn't blow me from up here . Miss getting excited packing ya suit case go abroad , I also had my own caravan on a holiday park miss that too just nipping in ya car for the weekend and visiting . Miss lots of things I never let the grass grow under my feet in uk let's put it like that , I'm not miserable here though I don't hate it , I'm mostly happy go lucky kind of girl lol .

My my kids love it here though . I'm hanging out for citizen now anyway . My lad finishes school nov ...that's it then free to go wherever but 9months after is citizen after he finishes school . Then who knows . I'll see where we sitting .

miss my mates we had a ball , and a good time , miss my hubbie he's my rock !

my hubbie spent yesterday and day b4 at work on his Billy and tomoz he doesn't mind they give him the key

he doesn't mind because I'm not there lol ....so he's saving his hols ...be back here to me for two weeks on the 16 th carnt wait ...my hearts breaking pmsl :) no really I am pining for him x different for me maybe though my kids are older I have nothing else here ....just a bucket and a mop ! Beaches and shopping no fun on ya Billy !

Edited by Shellybingobingo

Thank you for the really honest post. We will be moving to the Redlands south of Brisbane so not too far from the Gold Coast really. Some of the issues you raise such as mozzies and bugs will be an irritation for me I am sure. And I do love the long summer evenings in the UK.

I think it is vital not to be too rose-tinted though about the UK seasons. It is now April of course and this Easter weekend we have yet to even glimpse the sun down here. It has been grey, drizzly and cold at around 10C so we have not yet felt inclined to go out anywhere (though an improvement promised for today and tomorrow) and it feels like winter except it gets dark much later lol.

We have good jobs and love our house and we're giving it all up on the idea of a better life in Australia!

The thing about Australia is that it's not a better life. It's not a worse life either. It's just different! When I arrived in Australia 30 years ago, there was no question Australia offered a better lifestyle and greater opporunities than the UK, but that's not the case any more. In fact because it's such a small country, career opportunities are more limited than in the UK, and jobs can be hard to get - make sure you've allowed for several weeks job-hunting once you arrive.

You are lucky having family here already and that probably means you've got a more realistic view of what you're heading for than many migrants. Good luck.

I guess you really have to think about what makes you happy?I understand your reasons for moving from Kent,I've never been there,but I wouldn't like living in a crowded place.Ive moved a lot within the UK but never lived in a crowded place! You haven't been in your new place that long,so perhaps give it more time?How does your OH feel about life in general there?

The thing about Australia is that it's not a better life. It's not a worse life either. It's just different! When I arrived in Australia 30 years ago, there was no question Australia offered a better lifestyle and greater opporunities than the UK, but that's not the case any more. In fact because it's such a small country, career opportunities are more limited than in the UK, and jobs can be hard to get - make sure you've allowed for several weeks job-hunting once you arrive.

You are lucky having family here already and that probably means you've got a more realistic view of what you're heading for than many migrants. Good luck.

Totally agree with your post Marisa.We emigrated back in 1970,things have changed a lot since that time.

Guest Guest66881

Great post, but you have not been here long enough yet.

Confucius once said, 'you can't climb a mountain in one day, but a hill is but a short walk':wink:

Hi Kellie,

My wife and I (and our 23 month old son) are about to go through all the same things you describe. <==== in fact everything you mentioned from bugs, to TV to renting/buying is on our minds. We are just being positive that we WILL make it work.

We leave in exactly a month. Our house is on the market to be sold we we are hoping to complete asap.

We are doing it all because we think the quality of life will be better. Things like the outdoor lifestyle - our son loves being outside and we look forward to taking him to parks etc.

I think we're lucky as my wife's sister lives in Melbourne (which is where we're going).

We have full visa's but another reason we're doing it is because when my wife turns 32 we lose more points and then it becomes increasingly difficult. We would rather go and come back then to stay in England and always regret never going or trying.

Apologies there's not many questions above, and i know you wanted more from people already in Oz who have undergone same thing.

If it's not too late, always wise to hedge your bets I reckon - take a career break, rent out the house etc. why does it HAVE to work, I wonder? I wouldn't be banking on the "better life" it'll be different, that's all. You may be surprised at how little the parks and playgrounds are used in comparison - I'm just down the road from you in Cambridge and I always see kids in the playgrounds - in Aus they were usually empty (too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter) - when my grandkids visited they were out every day just enjoying rolling on the grass, making daisy chains, having picnics - which they couldn't do in their part of Vic (at the time) - no "lawn" grass, lots of ants and bindiis and much less harsh sunshine. Enjoy your adventure but don't put pressure on yourself that it has to be for ever!

Hi Kellie,

Hey James, Thanks for replying and don't apologise. I was full of questions on here before we made the move. This forum was my lifeline there's lots of lovely people on here. It's a huge move and you will never know unless you try it. For some it's everything and more and for others it doesn't live upto expectations. But Australia is a big place and I can only speak for the Gold Coast. My husband is a diesel mechanic and I work with both adults/ children with Autism or learning disabilities. Having a family member already here will certainly help you feel more settled and give you that support.

Good luck with everything

Thanks everyone for your comments

its true it's still early days for us and we will of course give it more time. My OH is happy even though works harder for him here, he is really positive and feels it's a better life for kids here especially once we have teens on our hands. However we do discuss about the impact of no other family around for them. We both grew up with all our family around, grandparents aunts cousins etc and ours won't have that here.

Yes australia is definitely different to the UK in lots of ways. Whether that works out to be "better" depends on where you came from and where you go! I can only speak going from kent to the Gold Coast. I've been to nicer places in UK but couldn't afford to live there as hubby had to be able to commute to london. Here he earns the same (ish) but is working 15 mins away. He can cycle to work which pleases him. (When it's not torrential rain or too hot)

its such a huge decision to emigrate and I've only now realised just how huge it was! Back when we were doing our visas you kind of get fixed on the bad of where you are and the good of where your going and looking forward to the change and the adventure.

One thing I would not wish on anyone is those goodbyes! I still can't think about those it's too painful.

We are lucky that we have had visitors already and more coming this year and both our families are so supportive with whatever decisions we make no matter how hard it is for them. Our friends are still our friends and with current technology it's so easy to keep in touch.

For those who emigrated 30 years ago I take my hat off to you as technology wasnt what it is now so you guys were really brave and strong.

Anyway im off to bed, happy easter all wherever you are

Thanks everyone for your comments

its true it's still early days for us and we will of course give it more time. My OH is happy even though works harder for him here, he is really positive and feels it's a better life for kids here especially once we have teens on our hands. However we do discuss about the impact of no other family around for them. We both grew up with all our family around, grandparents aunts cousins etc and ours won't have that here.

Yes australia is definitely different to the UK in lots of ways. Whether that works out to be "better" depends on where you came from and where you go! I can only speak going from kent to the Gold Coast. I've been to nicer places in UK but couldn't afford to live there as hubby had to be able to commute to london. Here he earns the same (ish) but is working 15 mins away. He can cycle to work which pleases him. (When it's not torrential rain or too hot)

its such a huge decision to emigrate and I've only now realised just how huge it was! Back when we were doing our visas you kind of get fixed on the bad of where you are and the good of where your going and looking forward to the change and the adventure.

One thing I would not wish on anyone is those goodbyes! I still can't think about those it's too painful.

We are lucky that we have had visitors already and more coming this year and both our families are so supportive with whatever decisions we make no matter how hard it is for them. Our friends are still our friends and with current technology it's so easy to keep in touch.

For those who emigrated 30 years ago I take my hat off to you as technology wasnt what it is now so you guys were really brave and strong.

Anyway im off to bed, happy easter all wherever you are

I used to write a long letter to Mum every Sunday - post it on Monday and she'd receive it on the Thursday! I don't think that would happen now.

Hi Kellie,

I agree, interesting to read. Myself, Aussie partner and 20 month old son will be making the move this year, and things are staying to become more real and some doubts are lurking but I think it is only natural to have some reservations. Will our life be better in oz? I don't know but I don't want to be sitting here in 10 years time wondering what if! We have to give things a go. My partner and I have agreed to have a 5 year trial and if we are not happy then, we'll look at returning to the UK.

God luck everyone. X

It was much easier 30 odd years ago! Out of sight and out of mind was the order of the day - important events and the odd postcard if you went on holiday, thank you letters from the kids and that was about that. All this Skype and FB just exacerbates the agony of separation IMHO. As a grandparent I find grandparenting over Skype sucks. I defy anyone to get a cuddle over Skype and the kids go through phases of wondering why Mops and Pops live in the box on the desk.

I can relate very much about getting to new places and it is something that i am missing more and more and my current situation is making me realise just how much i miss Europe and also how being in sunshine does certainly not equal a more outdoor lifestyle.

I am currently doing a contract in the far north of Sweden - i normally live south of Perth WA. Here i am 150km north of the arctic circle. The temperature is rarely above zero and the coolest we have recorded (we have a little personal weather station at home) was -23. It snows most days and we currently have over a meter and up to 2 meters outside town.

Now, you might think everyone is hunkered down and not going out. But the total opposite. I went into the town center yesterday to do some shopping and it was empty. I dont mean quiet, i mean ghost town empty. The reason became apparent today. Driving out of town across the tundra and into the mountains, there, was the population. All, out having fun in the snow - some on the frozen lakes ice fishing, some skiing, some snowmobiling and some just hiking in snow shoes. But all out doors. That is apparently a normal weekend here. People spend it outdoors. Even having bbq's - which we have done once so far in -15. Great fun. So, my point is, this. You do not need sun to have a outdoors lifestyle. You just need the right attitude. In Oz, on a summers day, we spend most of it hiding from the heat, stuck at home watching TV with maybe a small trip to the beach.

That bring me to the second point about closeness of things. In Oz, it is a pain to get anywhere different. But, this morning, i picked up a map and decided a day out. So, just drove to Norway for lunch. Admired the fjords, took amazing pictures, had a lunch. Stopped in a ski resort on the way home for a coffee. Next weekend off, i am thinking about a trip to Finland. Just a 3 hour drive. No borders, no hassle - just drive past a sign asking me to pull in if i have anything to declare. I can get a can get a flight for under $100 to pretty much any country in Europe and be in a lot in less than 2 hours.

I am afraid to say that my experience being back in Europe after 7 years in WA is really opening my eyes again to what i have missed.

Edited by VERYSTORMY

So, my point is, this. You do not need sun to have a outdoors lifestyle. You just need the right attitude. In Oz, on a summers day, we spend most of it hiding from the heat, stuck at home watching TV with maybe a small trip to the beach.

I am not in the camp that says you need sun to have an outdoors lifestyle. You seem to be indicating here though that what was wrong for you in Oz was that you had the wrong attitude there as you let the sun stop you from going out.

I am not in the camp that says you need sun to have an outdoors lifestyle. You seem to be indicating here though that what was wrong for you in Oz was that you had the wrong attitude there as you let the sun stop you from going out.

No, I simply didnt realise how little of an "outdoor lifestyle" we had or what other people have. It is too damned hot for a good chunk of the year. Then, want to go walking or hiking, even in winter, you cant take to dog to most national parks and the ones you can, you are on edge because they leave baited meat to kill foxes. Of course there is always the beach. But, sorry, it gets pretty thin after a while to go "owww sand, owww water"

We are probably more outdoor than most - drive through suburbia any weekend and it doesnt take much foresight to see that the furthest most people get to outdoors is the BBQ on an evening. If a persons view of an outdoor life, is sitting out to eat their evening meal (after dark once the flies have gone and hoping the mozzies are not bad, or if the ones that get you are not the one carrying disease), then i wish them well with their "outdoor lifestyle"

But, most of all, i am saying is that people who want to move to the other side of the world for a more outdoor life are dreaming a dream that they dont need to move and if they do are unlikely to find it - other than the bbq, you wont be outdoors more if you are not an outdoors person and even if you are, maybe still less. If they want outdoors, they can do it where they are.

Edited by VERYSTORMY