Arrival in Perth.

travelchic

Hi all. Not been on for a long time. Apologies. Thought I would come on and write about our arrival.

left the UK on Thursday 12th June and flew from Manchester to Singapore and then onto Perth with a fuel stop at Munich. Arrived Friday 13th June in the afternoon and it was nice and sunny but not greatly warm. Flew with Singapore Airlines on both legs of the journey and on both times Jonny (7) and I had a row of 3 seats between us so we were lucky and had plenty of room. The flight was on time and there was a good service throughout. TV was good. Food wasn't bad for an aircraft.

Stayed at my friends house on arrival. It was dark by 4.30 pm on the first night and it went sooooooo cold. I was freezing. Thought it might have been because I was tired from travelling but I was wrong. It was really cold for the next 4 or 5 weeks. So glad I packed my fleece pjs. Had to go out and buy some jumpers and boots. So if you're considering whether to pack your woollies then my advice would be bring them. Bring them all lol. Spent the weekend getting our bearings and firing off a few emails to hospitals (I'm a nurse). Had an interview on the Monday and got the job. Had an interview on the Tuesday and got the job. Had another interview lined up for the Wednesday but cancelled as I took the second job I was offered. I was also offerd casual work at 2 other hospitals on a casual basis to start immediately without an interview.

On the Tuesday after arrival a small 2 bedroom house, which is big enough for Jonny and I, next door but one to my friend had a home open. I went along with others and applied. And we got it. Moved in the week after. Couldn't believe how lucky I was. Jonny started school the second week we were here and there's a big child care centre Attatched to it. It's a 2 minute walk from our house. So all in all we've been blessed. My only grumble is the distance from home to work. It's a 60km round trip which I don't mind, but in the mornings the traffic is horrendous. I'm currently looking for a job closer to home but for the time being, all is good.

We live 5 minutes drive from the beach and although the weather has been terrible since we arrived we have been able to go a few times after school. The beach is beautiful. I have found the people here to be very friendly and I'm starting to get used to the lingo.

I haven't found Perth to be a lot more expensive than back home but I live a simple life. I was nervous that I would struggle financially because you read a lot about how expensive Perth is, but I'm actually doing ok. I earn approx $55k working part time and manage to save some money each month so I'm happy with that.

At the moment we are both happy and I'm glad we made the move. Yeah we miss family and friends but it's not like we'll never see them again. I miss my girly nights out in Liverpool but that's a small price to pay lol.

Debs

Thanks for this, great read! As a nurse, it's good to read nurses getting jobs and the cost of living not being too much of a shock! These are my main worries! Sounds like it's all going really smoothly, long may it continue for you and your little fella.

Bouncy X

Great arrival report. I'm sure it will ease the minds of a few nurses who seem to be having a bit of a bad time recently. How did you go with the registration? That seems to have been a problem for a lot of nurses coming in.

The weather only gets better from here on in. I see you arrived Friday the 13th, not superstitious then?:wink:

Great arrival report. I'm sure it will ease the minds of a few nurses who seem to be having a bit of a bad time recently. How did you go with the registration? That seems to have been a problem for a lot of nurses coming in.

The weather only gets better from here on in. I see you arrived Friday the 13th, not superstitious then?:wink:

Nah. Not superstitious. What will be will be. I gained my registration on 17th September and they implemented the changes on 8th October so I guess I was just lucky with my timing. In fact I've been lucky all through the process. They dropped the points from 65 to 60 which meant I could do my skills assessment earlier other wise I would have had to wait until September. If I'd have had to wait then I would be struggling with AHPRA too.

Debs.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for this, great read! As a nurse, it's good to read nurses getting jobs and the cost of living not being too much of a shock! These are my main worries! Sounds like it's all going really smoothly, long may it continue for you and your little fella.

Bouncy X

i just saw on RCN jobs website that WA Health are recuiting nurses from UK for Perth so they must be short over there

• 1 year later...

I remember reading your posts Debs and hoping it all went well for you and your son....just wondering how you're getting on....hope all the hard work has paid off and you're having a fab time.. I'm sure there'd be loads who'd like to hear an update if you happen to pop on here xx