cant decide Brisbane or Gold Coast

Georgie

Hi there

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of living on the Gold Coast. Do a lot of people commute to work in Brisbane? I really wanted to be near nice beaches but do people in Brisbane get to the beaches in good time? Do people in Brisbane regret not choosing to live nearer the beach? Do people in Gold Coast regret not choosing to live in Brisbane? I know everyone is different and how long is a piece of string and all that.. but just a few views would be nice. By the way i like reading negative posts as well as positive as its all information. Hubby is a forklift driver/production worker so work wise is it going to be difficult on the Gold Coast and probably need to commute? Southern suburbs may be near enough for work to the Gold Coast or am i wrong as the commute could be long??

Thanks

Georgie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jpearse

Hi,

We live in Wynnum in Brisbane. I too would have liked to live either Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast for the beaches but we decided it was too far to commute. I think Gold Coast in rush hour could take an hour and half if not more. We do regularly go to the Gold Coast though for the beaches and if you leave fairly early in the morning it only takes an hour.

Good luck.

Thanks

1 1/2 hours is incredibly long. Do you mean thats how long it would take to get to the city centre or just to reach the southern suburbs like say Springwood? I have looked on Travel Times web site but they always go on travelling at the max speed and no traffic congestion so i wanted someones opinion who has done it. Thanks again. How do you like living in Brisbane then? We are in Melbourne and wondering if we really should move up there or not. beginning to have doubts now.

Georgie

Find an area you like inbetween the city and the coast,there are loads to choose from.I was pleasantly surprised that i never really need to go into the city as its traffic chaos,but if i really have to its under an hours drive.Same with the beach if i want to go to surfers its about 45mins. Most folk happily commute 30 mins to and from work some longer as everything is so spread out.Id find an area i like and then look for work rather than vice versa.hope this helps a bit ,have you looked at SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site to see where jobs are?

Cal x

Guest thompsonl6

Hi

Thompson family here

Just logged on to this website and picked up on your question.

Just returned from a rekkie trip to Gold Coast/Brisbane….amazing!!!!

When we went out we were quite sure we wanted to live in the suburbs south of the city, commute and be able to get to the beach easily. What i can say now is that regardless of the distances, i didn't really like the areas I had initailly thought of (Springwood, Sunnybank, Browns Plains).

We stayed in Surfers paradise and travelled north in search of areas we liked. I wanted to know what the commute would be so travelled on the highway at peak time. we set off at 7.50 from surfers and were in the city just after 8 (my commute is longer than that in Britain!).

The train is really conveinient, clean and fast. We're now looking the the suburbs of Helensvale, Pacific Pines, Oxenford, Coomarh.

Schools, playgrounds, BBQs are all lovely here and it's 20 mins from the beaches at Southport, Surfers and 30 mins from Broadbeach.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want more......

Lisa, Steve, Amy (4) & Luke (18 mths)

Regards

Lisa, Steve, Amy (4) & Luke (18 Mths)

:yes:

Guest tony byrne

hi georgie i would recommend the coast over brisbane anyday. I hav been there four times now and absolutely love it, hoping to move there myself next year. I went over on a working holiday visa and had to commute to brisbane from broadbeach and i must say it was a real pain.

I would recommend you have a look at areas like pacific pines and surrounding suburbs. its a good point to commute from, has a new large shopping centre and has a great school. My girlfriend is from the gold coast and she might be able to tell you a it more if your interested. good luck with your decision anyway.

The Gold Coast is a 'city' in it's own right now. It has it's own airport and the work is immense. So many buildings, hotels and industrial going up that I doubt work would be a prob for your husband.

All depends on what time of day you travel in to Brisbane as to traffic. It's a city like any other so there's always lots but less at certain times of the day. However, personally compared to traffic round about where I live in England (I'm talking Kent to the Dartford Crossing, into London) it hardly compares!

Guest thompsonl6

i agree....peak travel is nothing like the UK. i travel in to Leeds every day, it's only 15 miles and can sometimes take an hour!!

You've got to think of the bigger picture...lokk what you'll be coming home to and the scenery whilst sat in the car/train.

worth it i'd say.

Guest The Birmingham Villains

Hi everyone,

i spent three weeks on a recce based near Labrador/Southport ( GOLD COAST ) in March/April this year and it was fantastic. It was a pleasure to be stuck in traffic on the couple of occasions we went to Brisbane as there was no Road Rage, No effing and blinding, well not that I saw but just moving traffic. Hopefully we will be accepted on a 457 visa and should be back there at back end of July so I am looking forward to the beaches and the scenery again.

Like every other city, there is always traffic but unless you live or work there you can stay away from it. Most of us are trying to get away from the hustle and bustle so why not chill with the locals.

Good luck to anyone moving out there in the future and maybe one day we will meet up.

Kev

Hi Georgie,

We're on the Gold Coast in Pac Pines and moving once the house is built, to Upper Coomera, both areas more to the north part, hubby works in south Brissie and it takes him 35-45 minutes to get there, did the journey yesterday myself after 9am and was there in 35 minutes, obviously peak traffic can take more, but it's not too bad a run. The train is pretty regular and at certain times there is an express service which cuts out some of the stations. Anyway how's the weather, 24degress and sunny here.

Guest taffy 62
Thanks

1 1/2 hours is incredibly long. Do you mean thats how long it would take to get to the city centre or just to reach the southern suburbs like say Springwood? I have looked on Travel Times web site but they always go on travelling at the max speed and no traffic congestion so i wanted someones opinion who has done it. Thanks again. How do you like living in Brisbane then? We are in Melbourne and wondering if we really should move up there or not. beginning to have doubts now.

Georgie

Hi georgie, I have just moved from wodonga to brisbane in january and live near wynum manly area.

It takes my husband half hour to drive 19ks to west end (same side of river). One of the reasons of moving here was to be nr the ocean, Im nr the bayside but not the ocean with the surf etc, more like a lagoon type thing.

I personnally dont like living here and want to go back to victoria, my husband said maybe we should move to the gold coast and he would commute, and see how it goes before making the decision to move back. It would take I reckon at least 1 hour and thats in good traffic flow, its not just the travel time to consider but also having to deal with the amount of traffic on the roads, but you may be used to that if you live in melboune and comute to the city there. He already has to get up at 5.50 in the morning and has found that hard to adjust to, you tend to be ready for bed by 8.30 at night. So i dont really think it would be fair for him to commute all that distance, as he would have to get up even earlier.Maybe those areas that others have suggested would be a good place to start. but if like me you would prefer to live right nr the ocean (like when you go there on holls) then theres really no other way than the commute times.

Also it only take 1 accident on the road to easily add another hour to that time.

Hi thanks for your answers

Suee which suburb does your hubby work? And stop rubbing it in!! it was 6 degrees here this morning (gonna be 21 though later). I was reasearching Pac Pines and Coomera though i read somewhere that pacific Pines was a place to keep way from - dont know why?

Kev good luck with visa and it would be great to all meet up one day.

Thompson 16 Do you mean it took you 10 mins to GC city cos if you meant Brisbane you would be travelling by helicopter (its alright for some!!) You certainly helped twist my arm towards the GC though. I used to live in Harrogate before moving to Oz and your right about the Leeds commute - my sister still does it every morning.

Tony i will probably have loads of questions for your girlfriend.

Kate and Dan i was worried about work but you have laid that worry to rest thanks.

Cal i am already 30 mins from the beaches here in Melbourne and really my dream is to practically live in the sea!! But i hear where youre coming from and for those that dont mind a bit of distance i think Jimboomba is perfectl;y placed and the houses are priced well.

I will come up in July time for a quick reccie but now i know the approx area i can really concentrate my research.

Cant wait:smile:

Just got to talk my sister into going to Queensland now instead of Melbourne. She is supposed to be emigrating here next year but got to sell house first.

By the way is it less humid on GC than Brisbane? Also is it true as a local you can get into theme parks cheaper and do resteraunts etc put up their prices in the holiday season? Cant you get a card or something to say you are a local and youre not gonna pay tourist prices?

Georgie

Hi Taffy

Why dont you like Brisbane? Wodonga certainly isnt anywhere near the coast so would you be thinking of Melbourne to move back to Victoria or somewhere else? We looked at Albury Wodonga area before thinking Queensland but in the end i really wanted to be near the sea. Why dont you try the GC first and see if you can get a job nearer to where you live or is that impossible?

Looks like you and your OH are torn but I hope you end up somewhere you both like. We will rent when we get to Qland so if we dont like it we can come back down to Melbourne as its not that bad here at all. The weather is hot in summer and cool in winter (bloody freezing this morning though). This is the only thing (apart from finding work) that worries me slightly-will it be too much to bear with the humidity??? We shall see.

Georgie

Georgie, we're on the Gold Coast, Coombabah/Runaway Bay border, about 10 minutes down towards the coast from Pacific Pines. Pac Pines is nice, it's a very big new development. Depends if you want a new house in a newly developing area, or something older, in a more established suburb. We're very close to the broadwater, which is a stretch of water with a long island seperating it from the ocean. If you want to be live very near to the sea, you may be better off at the southern end of the coast, say Burleigh Heads, as if you go higher than Southport, it's not as many beaches, more marinas. Still only a 15/20 minute drive to main beach at Surfers though from where we are, and a great area, with plenty of good facilities. If you have a look at Arundel, Ashmore, Parkwood, Benowa, Runaway Bay, and Biggera Waters, these are all nice areas to the north.

Jo

Guest taffy 62
Hi Taffy

Why dont you like Brisbane? Wodonga certainly isnt anywhere near the coast so would you be thinking of Melbourne to move back to Victoria or somewhere else? We looked at Albury Wodonga area before thinking Queensland but in the end i really wanted to be near the sea. Why dont you try the GC first and see if you can get a job nearer to where you live or is that impossible?

Looks like you and your OH are torn but I hope you end up somewhere you both like. We will rent when we get to Qland so if we dont like it we can come back down to Melbourne as its not that bad here at all. The weather is hot in summer and cool in winter (bloody freezing this morning though). This is the only thing (apart from finding work) that worries me slightly-will it be too much to bear with the humidity??? We shall see.

Georgie

Hi Georgie, I'll private mess you as I don't want to come accross to others as too negative about this area as it's only my views of how I feel at the moment. And theres been to many negative posts lately. And who's to say in 6 months time I may feel differerent. Actually, If you read my post interstate dilema that basically tells you everything.

Guest taffy 62

Hi Georgie,

Did you get my private message as it's not showing up in my box , maybe its floating around in cyberspace somewhere!:biglaugh:

Sue I got your PM.

Thanks for the info and can you look after my doggy too???!!!! Only joking but we will bring her up for a look around when we do our reccie. Driving up so just hoping some of the motels will let her stay otherwise she will have to sleep in the car. Actually started at 6 degs but turned into a beautiful day here with bright blue skies (rather like a british summer day)

Bye

Sue just read your other email. Had you lived in Wodonga for a long time then? And yes it seems expensive up there to buy in Queensland. Like i say we will see on our reccie. Humidity is bad but its not all year round and to be honest i think i like the seasons too but afterall we may end up going back to UK after a few years so need to make sure we have experienced all we can. Actually wondering what Adelaide is like as well. Seems they have lovely beaches there too but it dont half get a slagging!!:cute:

Who knows where we will end up. Yes its like emigrating all over again-

Georgie

Georgie,

It's not me who lived in Wodonga, methinks it's Taffy62, have you got us mixed up, and yeap I'll look after your dog, not sure you'll get her back though, she sounds sooooo cute

Guest taffy 62

Yep its me :smile: Wondered what that was all about :huh: can you send me a copy back georgie.

How long have you been in melbourne for as if you havnt got long settlement issues then you may as well move and see as much as you can and look at it as a working holiday.

Ive lived in wodonga for 17 years!

Suee

I know its not you that lived in Wodonga it was the other Sue AKA Taffy 16 hahaha!!:jiggy:Great then thats the dog sorted out I shall drop her off with you at what time?????

Georgie

By the way been swayed toward Brisbane again as apparantly Gold Coast too touristy.... I am never gonna be sure til i get there myself am i

Take care

I meant taffy 62 :twitcy: Coffee -2 cups before 8 am. No i am just naturally dizzy although i am not a blonde lol. There is a Taffy 16 somewhere on one of these sites though so i am not totally losing it!

Guest That One

I would stay in Melbourne if i was you, its a fab city.

I guess it depends what you like though... If you really love the beach then you cant beat the Gold Coast, its got plenty of them.

I would pick Brisbane over Gold Coast any day, but then im more of a city girl.

Your right, the GC is very touristy and yeah the locals do refer to it as a city but to me its definately not a city. Its got no main centre if you like, no heart, its so spread out with a lot of nothing. I guess they would class surfers paradise as the 'city' centre but thats a terrible place to be avoided at all costs.

Archived