What life really like to live in Queensland?

Suzannecopps

Hi All,

i I thought I would create this post to hopefully get your views, likes and don't likes and generally "what life is like when you have moved to Queensland" on a thread. We move in Oct and aswell as being excited, i am nervous too! Hoping we have made the right decision?

I I view life out there as a work hard through the week and enjoy relaxed downtime by the BBQ of an evening and then off out to explore the many sights, beaches and culinary delights of a weekend, that I keep seeing! I know there is pros and cons to live anywhere, and Brisbane has a few I get this! Expensive food, rental and commute to Brisbane form Gold Coast areas. But I think that is worth it for sure if life is generally good over there! We have lived abroad in Dubai for 5 years a while ago, so know we can adapt and make a go of it. But I thought how lovely it would be to hear your take on what life is like over there for you (and yes, that can also includes the good, the bad and the ugly side lol) anyway I hope we get a few stories and views on life in Queensland as it would make such a good read!

I have read countless books and Internet pieces but hearing from the horses mouth so to speak would be far better for us upcoming newbies xxxxx:yes:

Edited by Suzannecopps

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi srh82

What do mean by the Australian behaviour?

Workplace bullying. As much as I love Oz, and although I haven't worked since arriving here, it's the one thing that sticks out as a very bad negative from the stories I've heard from people I know that aren't exactly wimps. I get the impression that managerial staff are under pressure and take it out on those below them.

That said, one ex member was about to hand his notice in recently and thought that he would go out with all guns blazing and tell the upper echelons just what an ignorant bullying dick his immediate superior was. To be fair, the "top dogs" called that very same dick into the office and made him apologise and pull his head in. He was near to tears and blurted out that his wife had left him and he just seemed to keep "losing it" of late. He's been as nice as pie since and even invited the complainant round to his for a beer and it seems they're hitting it off as if things had never happened.

You just need to be aware of your rights and "front up" to the problem/person, I reckon. Your boss invariably has a boss too and that boss wouldn't want to lose a good worker. Go over their heads and sort it if it happens to you.

Just make sure that it is bullying and not just "lack of finesse". As the above poster says, they "tell it like it is" (or as it appears to be to them) which of course, may appear to be something entirely different to how you see it.

Edited by Johndoe

Hi All,

i I thought I would create this post to hopefully get your views, likes and don't likes and generally "what life is like when you have moved to Queensland" on a thread. We move in Oct and aswell as being excited, i am nervous too! Hoping we have made the right decision?

I I view life out there as a work hard through the week and enjoy relaxed downtime by the BBQ of an evening and then off out to explore the many sights, beaches and culinary delights of a weekend, that I keep seeing! I know there is pros and cons to live anywhere, and Brisbane has a few I get this! Expensive food, rental and commute to Brisbane form Gold Coast areas. But I think that is worth it for sure if life is generally good over there! We have lived abroad in Dubai for 5 years a while ago, so know we can adapt and make a go of it. But I thought how lovely it would be to hear your take on what life is like over there for you (and yes, that can also includes the good, the bad and the ugly side lol) anyway I hope we get a few stories and views on life in Queensland as it would make such a good read!

I have read countless books and Internet pieces but hearing from the horses mouth so to speak would be far better for us upcoming newbies xxxxx:yes:

Its dark before most people get home from work, tends to limit any enjoyment of the outside world, and BBQs are often frequented by insects!

Remember too that Queensland is HUGE and life in Brisbane is different to life in Cairns which is different again to outback living. Just look at the climate for starters.

Its dark before most people get home from work, tends to limit any enjoyment of the outside world, and BBQs are often frequented by insects!

Remember too that Queensland is HUGE and life in Brisbane is different to life in Cairns which is different again to outback living. Just look at the climate for starters.

were looking at either Brisbane inner suburbs or helensvale, coomera etc. Don't mind nighttime BBQ with candles (citronella ones as that to keep insects away) we used to do that in Dubai and it was enjoyable. I am certainly not going to stay indoors at night to watch tv. So I suppose it what we make of it really.

Have to say....not getting anything real positive on this thread lol! We have work place bullying, Ozzie work behaviours and too dark, too many insects lol

i I thought I would create this post to hopefully get your views, likes and don't likes and generally "what life is like when you have moved to Queensland" on a thread. ...

I I view life out there as a work hard through the week and enjoy relaxed downtime by the BBQ of an evening and then off out to explore the many sights, beaches and culinary delights of a weekend, that I keep seeing! I know there is pros and cons to live anywhere, and Brisbane has a few I get this! Expensive food, rental and commute to Brisbane form Gold Coast areas. ...

I still don't get why on earth you want to live on the Gold Coast and commute to Brisbane. After all it'll be too dark to go to the beach after work by the time you get home. Then if you've been stuck in a traffic jam, you'll be too tired to fire up the BBQ too. So why not live in Brisbane so you can get home early enough to relax on the verandah with a chardonnay before cooking dinner, BBQ'd or otherwise?

Also have you considered that if you're living in Brisbane, you'd be within easy weekend reach of beaches on the Gold Coast AND on the Sunshine Coast, so you can ring the changes?

Hi All,

I didn't live in Queensland but travelled to Brisbane very often with work, a few days a fortnight on average. We also travelled a lot around Queensland and it is definitely our favourite state overall, although Sydney is our favourite city. We love the Gold Coast and even Surfers which can divide the crowd, but we think it is fun for a few days. We also love the tropics of FNQ, the flora and fuana and have visited a few islands off the Queensland coast and never been disappointed.

I wouldn't live on the Gold Coast if work is in Brisbane, the traffic is awful and you can forget about BBQs after work in that case! It gets dark early in Queensland as it is.

I don't think you can make generalisations about work cultures, it tends to vary by company and you can come across individuals you cannot get along with anywhere. I worked for a top ASX listed company and work culture was fabulous, from the moment I walked in the door everybody was very warm and welcoming. They do work hard, but also made time for networking, always going out for coffee or hot chocolate with somebody or other.

I still don't get why on earth you want to live on the Gold Coast and commute to Brisbane. After all it'll be too dark to go to the beach after work by the time you get home. Then if you've been stuck in a traffic jam, you'll be too tired to fire up the BBQ too. So why not live in Brisbane so you can get home early enough to relax on the verandah with a chardonnay before cooking dinner, BBQ'd or otherwise?

Also have you considered that if you're living in Brisbane, you'd be within easy weekend reach of beaches on the Gold Coast AND on the Sunshine Coast, so you can ring the changes?

i know what ur saying and many people have said the same so inner Brisbane is our first choice. But we still haven't ruled out the others I think we just need to scope it out ourselves.

I have been been looking at west end, new farm, heartwood, mogul, mitchelton, carisndale, sunny bank etc etc . And there is some lovely places. Al wit a wee bit expensive but doable! I will be working on creek street 15 min walk from a sea cat drop off, so I'm looking at that as an option. What's parking like in Brisbane CBD during work week?

This. I probably visit the sunshine coast about 4 times the amount of the Goldie too. Feel it's more relaxed and pleasant for a weekend.

A post with responses covering many topics.

1, parking is extremely expensive in Brisbane CBD, either commute in via public transport which is cheap or negotiate parking as part of your work package.

2, workplace place bullying is there and very ugly especially to those on working visa's. Not nice to see and can result in significant decisions including where in QLD you end up living/working. I've seen people moved interstate to Brisbane and then within 6 months moved to rural QLD without any choice! What are you going to do......your on a 457!

3, do not consider the GC to Brisi commute, can be 2 hours average each way!

4, Brisbane, GC etc do get cold especially this time of year. You will have evenings in so don't ignore your inside environment.

5, QLD'nders do work hard, it is far from beaches and bbq's, anytime I between is left for banana bending......according to other states!

S

i know what ur saying and many people have said the same so inner Brisbane is our first choice. But we still haven't ruled out the others I think we just need to scope it out ourselves.

I have been been looking at west end, new farm, heartwood, mogul, mitchelton, carisndale, sunny bank etc etc . And there is some lovely places. Al wit a wee bit expensive but doable! I will be working on creek street 15 min walk from a sea cat drop off, so I'm looking at that as an option. What's parking like in Brisbane CBD during work week?

That's quite a range of very different suburbs, though have no idea where Heartwood and mogul are? But the others are all very different. Working on Creek St I would look at the trains or busway suburbs. North Side will have better train access, South side better for the busway. Also if desperate for the beach, how about the redcliffe peninsula? The train line is due to open there shortly.

That's quite a range of very different suburbs, though have no idea where Heartwood and mogul are? But the others are all very different. Working on Creek St I would look at the trains or busway suburbs. North Side will have better train access, South side better for the busway. Also if desperate for the beach, how about the redcliffe peninsula? The train line is due to open there shortly.

typing errors should read Heathwood and Moggilt, just following nice suburb advice on homely.com to get an idea. We are 40, no children and two small dogs. So somewhere nice n pretty with cafes, restaurants and basic shops would do us! Nightlife we are not bothered about! Be great to travel to a mall close by or something.

Never though of Redcliffe but will have a look, thank you for the transport advice - really good to know X

typing errors should read Heathwood and Moggilt, just following nice suburb advice on homely.com to get an idea. We are 40, no children and two small dogs. So somewhere nice n pretty with cafes, restaurants and basic shops would do us! Nightlife we are not bothered about! Be great to travel to a mall close by or something.

Never though of Redcliffe but will have a look, thank you for the transport advice - really good to know X

Remember a 15 minute walk through the city in the height of summer, dressed for an office day, is not pleasant.

A post with responses covering many topics.

1, parking is extremely expensive in Brisbane CBD, either commute in via public transport which is cheap or negotiate parking as part of your work package.

2, workplace place bullying is there and very ugly especially to those on working visa's. Not nice to see and can result in significant decisions including where in QLD you end up living/working. I've seen people moved interstate to Brisbane and then within 6 months moved to rural QLD without any choice! What are you going to do......your on a 457!

3, do not consider the GC to Brisi commute, can be 2 hours average each way!

4, Brisbane, GC etc do get cold especially this time of year. You will have evenings in so don't ignore your inside environment.

5, QLD'nders do work hard, it is far from beaches and bbq's, anytime I between is left for banana bending......according to other states!

S

great advice.even though I am on a 457 I am not worried about being moved if it came to it. My work is plentiful, I had quite a few interviews / offers with sponsorship and there would have been more real opportunity if I had my feet on the ground in Brisbane! My role has been on the CSOL list for years in all states but Perth has defiantly slowed down. Not on sol granted but it's there and I can't see that changing. I am only slightly worried - will it work, what if I don't like it? (which is the norm with any new job) ,but push come to shove if it didn't! I have 3 month to find another sponsor and role and I am very confident I would.

ur right about parking - I doubt I can negotiate that in my package so public transport it is

i think we'll definitely stick with Brisbane for living - it makes sense

my hours are long enough in the new role 8am to 5pm - if I need to work extra I could do that at home. Certainly not wanting to work until all hours at night lol! So I guess I could fit a bbq in or as Marisawright said . Chardonnay on the veranda whilst cooking a meal sounds very appealing x

Best Village feel (cafe) suburbs in my opinion on the Northside

New Farm, Teneriffe/Newstead, Ascot/Hamilton, Rosalie/Paddington, Albion, Clayfield/Wooloowin, Wilston, Nundah, Mitchelton

Mitchelton would be most affordable.

Depends on where you live. If the OP is talking about Brisbane then I haven't used insect spray for 2 yrs....................I moved less than a kilometre form my last home where I needed it every time that I sat outside. If there's damp or bush surrounding your home, then yes, but if you're in a built up area with little natural/native vegetation or stagnant water, then it's less troublesome than a day in the Trossachs. You can also plant the right type of vegetation in your garden that deters insects

New Farm, Teneriffe/Newstead, Ascot/Hamilton, Rosalie/Paddington, Albion, Clayfield/Wooloowin, Wilston, Nundah, Mitchelton

thank you for this! It's hard to know the places to live when reading in. Website. Going to check them out now! Thanks again

Albion, Ascot and Newstead/Bowen Hills border, lived/living there and all very expensive areas with good transport links however beware of the Dooban train line serving Ascot etc which closes at 7pm!

Do not be over confident with work, you are new, jobs here are different and local experience accounts for a lot, more than qualifications in most instances.

S