Carindale

Captain Roberto

Hi All

I've posted similar threads to this before, but thought I'd go specific here, as maybe someone lives in Carindale or nearby and has specific knowledge.

We live in Sydney now and we do really like it. But as we have 3 kids and need a 4 bedroom house, we'll never be able to buy unless it miles out (and then it's still about $1 million...). So - we have been thinking of a Brisbane move for sometimes, and have asked some questions on here before.

Essentially if we stay in Australia, we want to buy a house, so any place we move to needs to be 'right' so we can buy at some point soon after. Our eldest daughter will need to be in the nex school in 12-15 months so she is the right place to start her HSCs and my middle daughter will also be about to start High School then too. So we have a time-line.

Does Carindale have the following:

• Good schools (State run public and high schools)
  • Parks and things to do
  • Places to take the dog out (not just an oval)
  • Any kind of social scene (places to eat, cafes, pubs/bars, coffee etc)
  • Activities, (places to ride bikes, skate, have fun)
  • Is the bus to the city good/fast?

This page answers some of the posts, but it's good to get other ideas.

We are a family, and when we move there our kids will be 14, Nearly 12 and 8 with a dog. I'll be working in and around the city, and my wife is a community nurse, so she'll just need to be in an area where lots of people live (which is probably most places around a big city and surrounding areas)

Any tips, info, links to help us get a picture together will help.

I'll probably come and do a reccie at some point, but would like to find out what i can remotely first.

Thanks in advance good people!

Matt

Edited by Captain Roberto
added parts

Hi Matt, you may want to check out Carindale Connect for more info about the region - the 'what's on' page will give you an idea of what's on in the region. There's a lot of great parks in the area and it has a great bus service (especially the 200). Minnippi Parklands is a brilliant place - great bike path through it. And have a look into the Bulimba Creek bikeway. There's a community forum at the golf club once a month, lovely bushwalks in places like Whites Hill Reserve. Plenty of good off-leash dog parks. The B4C Sustainability Centre has an open day once a month and that has a wonderful sense of community.

Edited by VERYSTORMY
forum rules

Don't know if you have tried already Matt but you may have more success with Poms on the Bay if you post this question there. We live about 30kms south east of Carindale and only know it because it has a very large shopping mall there and is also a hub for buses into Brisbane.

You might also look at Mt Gravatt, the neighbouring suburb, as that appeared to me (on one visit at least) to have more of a cafe village feel to it than Carindale. So perhaps post your question to include neighbouring suburbs too.

Agree with SRH82. Personally, I feel there are better areas than Carindale and almost all those listed are also on the train line too (much easier than getting the bus here when it comes to going to the city). Look on http://www.myschool.edu.au/ for schools in the area and you can have a look at their NAPLAN results and a few other bits that may help you decide.

But they are on the South side?:wink:

Seriously, we were put off from these areas as they sit below the airport flight path so can be a little noisy. They are strong areas which are quite expensive. Cannon Hill is very busy with full house renovations or new builds so money is being poured into it. Road connection is quite poor, train is fine.

S

Thanks all

We are actually open to any suggestions really in Brisbane. I just was initially trying to get specific about this one, as a guy I know recommended it.

Criteria:

Good schools (State run public and high schools)

Parks and things to do

Places to take the dog out (not just an oval)

Any kind of social scene (places to eat, cafes, pubs/bars, coffee etc)

Activities, (places to ride bikes, skate, have fun)

Is the bus/trains to the city good/fast?

What sort of budget are you looking at? I would find Carindale a bit bland to live in personally. What sort of commute time to the city can you put up with? Trains are really handy, but are served better Northside than Southside. Buses can take a long time unless near the busway so check suburbs along that.

Thanks all

We are actually open to any suggestions really in Brisbane. I just was initially trying to get specific about this one, as a guy I know recommended it.

Criteria:

Good schools (State run public and high schools)

Parks and things to do

Places to take the dog out (not just an oval)

Any kind of social scene (places to eat, cafes, pubs/bars, coffee etc)

Activities, (places to ride bikes, skate, have fun)

Is the bus/trains to the city good/fast?

Though a little bias as we live there, then try the Redland City area's, but more on the bayside suburbs, with Cleveland to Redland bay meeting your requirements with Victoria Point being the central hub, which has all the shops, cafe's, restaurants, Doctors, Dentists and cinema's. Not so sure about schools but my niece and nephew schooled In Vic point and both went on to uni (and did well there too).

Good luck.

To add to my post above, there is a train station in Cleveland about 1hr to city not sure on the express time though, and also In Vic point there are the bus service's which my son in law uses for the city every day and is quite happy with those services. there are also a couple of hospitals (private and public) in Cleveland and my daughter works at a nursing home (kitchen manageress) in Vic Pt, this home has other homes too but not sure on their locations.

What sort of budget are you looking at? I would find Carindale a bit bland to live in personally. What sort of commute time to the city can you put up with? Trains are really handy, but are served better Northside than Southside. Buses can take a long time unless near the busway so check suburbs along that.

Budget - between $500 / $700 Pw

For a 4 bedroom place

(We pay $1k a week here - and it's too much - but actually cheap for the area we are in now)

We'd want to buy at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add to my post above, there is a train station in Cleveland about 1hr to city not sure on the express time though, and also In Vic point there are the bus service's which my son in law uses for the city every day and is quite happy with those services. there are also a couple of hospitals (private and public) in Cleveland and my daughter works at a nursing home (kitchen manageress) in Vic Pt, this home has other homes too but not sure on their locations.

We did come up for a reccie and checked out Moreton Bay, and stayed in Cleveland. It's nice, but we weren't sure if it would be for us, so wanted to look at more places.

From experience we know it's quite tough picking an area to live in that will work well for all our families needs. There's so many factors to consider! I guess that's why we are asking all these questions now... If we do a major move again (i.e. changing the kids schools) we want to get it right!

We did come up for a reccie and checked out Moreton Bay, and stayed in Cleveland. It's nice, but we weren't sure if it would be for us, so wanted to look at more places.

From experience we know it's quite tough picking an area to live in that will work well for all our families needs. There's so many factors to consider! I guess that's why we are asking all these questions now... If we do a major move again (i.e. changing the kids schools) we want to get it right!

Yes I understand Cleveland is probably not too orientated towards families, did you get to Victoria Point, Wellington Point or Redland Bay area's?

Also not sure if any one has mentioned Bulimba? and its surrounds, though could be a tad expensive, it has river cat service into the City and across to Newfarm.

We briefly looked at Victoria Point, Wellington Point or Redland Bay, but we literally stopped for an hour or 2 in each. It's not enough to know... We stayed around Brisbane for a 4 days (the rst of the time we went to the GC) and got the Rivercat into the city.

It's hard to know isn't it? I struggle to make big decisions based on such limited information... But in many ways, as the Bay isn't typical beach, we felt it was a bit of a red herring for us (all a matter of personal taste...) I think we felt that if we had to do a big drive to get the GC or SC, we might as well look at other suburbs nearer the city.

Other than that, we know very little. All we know if that once you choose a place and the kids settle and make friends, we should stick there and not move again. The kids like it here (Sydney North Shore), and the schools are excellent and it's a nice place to bring up kids. But the price tag is too great - we just couldn't stretch to a house that costs well over $1million. We now both work full time, as we have no choice, and ideally we'd like to be there for the kids.

We briefly looked at Victoria Point, Wellington Point or Redland Bay, but we literally stopped for an hour or 2 in each. It's not enough to know... We stayed around Brisbane for a 4 days (the rst of the time we went to the GC) and got the Rivercat into the city.

It's hard to know isn't it? I struggle to make big decisions based on such limited information... But in many ways, as the Bay isn't typical beach, we felt it was a bit of a red herring for us (all a matter of personal taste...) I think we felt that if we had to do a big drive to get the GC or SC, we might as well look at other suburbs nearer the city.

Other than that, we know very little. All we know if that once you choose a place and the kids settle and make friends, we should stick there and not move again. The kids like it here (Sydney North Shore), and the schools are excellent and it's a nice place to bring up kids. But the price tag is too great - we just couldn't stretch to a house that costs well over $1million. We now both work full time, as we have no choice, and ideally we'd like to be there for the kids.

To tell the truth we find it pretty central really, 45-60min drive to both the GC and City and also Redcliffe which has something more of a beach, then there is a 60-90min drive to the SC. we do the GC say 3 out of 4 Sundays and do not leave home until gone midday with Currumbin the usual destination it has to be the best all around area, for surf, safe beaches a beautiful and safe family friendly river estuary. SC maybe once every couple of months, Caloundra and Maloolaba being the top spots for us.

Agree it is not easy especially as you have school children to think about too, but good luck with things and please ask any questions we may be able to help you with.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Personally i think Carindale is very sterile. The houses are generally new and big, but the place lacks soul and there are very few areas for the community to meet. The parks and outdoor areas are easily accessible, but you will generally need to drive to any shops and restaurants. The public transport (bus) is frequent and you can get to most places without having to change.

I would be looking at areas like Holland Park, Mount Gravatt, Taragindi ,Coorparoo and Norman Park. (last 2 in flight path). These all have good access to major roads and public transport into the CBD, great schools, tonnes of bars and restaurants and lots and lots of parks.

I'm a big fan of Carindale as you seem to get a lot for your money and there is a great bikeway for kids - Public transport from Carindale is brilliant, but you're sitting in traffic still as it's not on a bus way (yet).. If you can get a place within walking distance of a train or busway this will make your life easier (there is parking available at stations but generally no free spaces after about 7am - Queenslanders get up v early)

I have moved around a lot south side - Carindale - Greenslopes - Mount Gravatt - Tarragindi. If I had to choose from these areas (kids now flown the coop), Tarragindi near the bus way was my favourite. That is because I commuted to the city via bus and it was so easy.... Also we had a lovely rental at Tarragindi (up a hill so breezy). None of these places are terribly exciting, but as nice safe places to live with reasonable schools then I'd recommend any of them for a family. I've also lived in the West (Sherwood) which I loved - on the trainline so an even easier commute but expensive to rent somewhere nice. I wouldn't worry too much about being in the flight path tbh - Never really bothered us.

• 2 weeks later...
Have a look at the following areas near Carindale:

- Cannon Hill

- Morningside

- Seven Hills

- Coorparoo

- Norman Park

Is Morningside a safe and quiet suburb? i checked the houses and they look nice but read theres quite a lot of noise from aircrafts? thanks