Best suburbs in Brisbane?!

Peachy

Hi everyone

Finally able to plan my move. Visa granted and job close to being secured. Will be working in Brisbane CBD. Don't mind a bit of a commute but not hours in traffic.

Priorities are leafy and green - in the UK we live in the Cotswolds. Needs good schools. Reasonably priced house. So not looking for much at all ;-)

Am thinking about Ferny Grove / Ferny Hills but is the commute doable? Will I spend my life on the train? Planning to start at 8am and finish at 4 but I know I won't beat Queenslanders in to work.

Will be renting for first 12 months then buy.

Any suggestions? Any comments very welcome. Can't wait to relocate!

Hi everyone

Finally able to plan my move. Visa granted and job close to being secured. Will be working in Brisbane CBD. Don't mind a bit of a commute but not hours in traffic.

Priorities are leafy and green - in the UK we live in the Cotswolds. Needs good schools. Reasonably priced house. So not looking for much at all ;-)

Am thinking about Ferny Grove / Ferny Hills but is the commute doable? Will I spend my life on the train? Planning to start at 8am and finish at 4 but I know I won't beat Queenslanders in to work.

Will be renting for first 12 months then buy.

Any suggestions? Any comments very welcome. Can't wait to relocate!

Make sure, if you want to live a long way out, that you are within walking distance of a train station. Those car parks are full long before 7, from what I hear.

The roads, as elsewhere, are getting more and more congested. Don't even think of somewhere a long way out without a train! Brisbane is not especially well served by train lines.

Of course, a lot depends on what you can afford to pay for a house. Plenty of leafy suburbs close to the city, but median price for a three bedroom house will be well over a million.

Samford is great but there is no train line so you will need to drive to Ferny Grove/Ferny Hills (can never remember which ones)

Leafy and green - this is Queensland so the further out you go the less leafy and green it is, more like a bit brown with lots of Eucalyptus trees unless you go way up to Mount Nebo which is very leafy and green, but the commute would kill you.

My daughter has a friend who lives on Wights Mountain just outside Samford and she used to go to school in Spring Hill! Bus to ferny grove, train to Roma street, walk up the hill. I think she used to do her homework on the train!

I live in The Gap which has great state schools and borders National Parks so very leafy. Commuting time varies for me. If I cycle I take the bike paths which adds about 40% to the distance. This takes me about 40 minutes. The express bus takes about 25/30 minutes but you must be on or near Waterworks Road otherwise you have to take one of the slower local buses and that's a pain. My wife drives and this takes her around 20 minutes but she works 7-330pm so misses the worst of the traffic.

Ferny Grove/Ferny Hills has the train line which is a great way to commute, but I've no idea what the schools are like in the area.

Samford has much more of a country feel that either of the above if you're looking for that, but is a good bit further out so a longer commute. Note that a 'mega-suburb' is being planned for the area with the main entrance/exit being along Samford Road in Ferny Grove. It's not a worry if you're just renting, but it will likely have a big impact on congestion if you decide to buy. http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-megasuburb-gets-final-green-light-20141209-123pce.html

I live in The Gap which has great state schools and borders National Parks so very leafy. Commuting time varies for me. If I cycle I take the bike paths which adds about 40% to the distance. This takes me about 40 minutes. The express bus takes about 25/30 minutes but you must be on or near Waterworks Road otherwise you have to take one of the slower local buses and that's a pain. My wife drives and this takes her around 20 minutes but she works 7-330pm so misses the worst of the traffic.

Ferny Grove/Ferny Hills has the train line which is a great way to commute, but I've no idea what the schools are like in the area.

Samford has much more of a country feel that either of the above if you're looking for that, but is a good bit further out so a longer commute. Note that a 'mega-suburb' is being planned for the area with the main entrance/exit being along Samford Road in Ferny Grove. It's not a worry if you're just renting, but it will likely have a big impact on congestion if you decide to buy. http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-megasuburb-gets-final-green-light-20141209-123pce.html

If you are referring to the proposed development of Upper Kedron, the newly elected State government has just put the kybosh on that. Kate Jones, now Education Minister, campaigned against it in her electorate of Ashgrove. Confusing name - nothing to do with the inner northern suburb of Kedron.

Another thing to remember, whether renting or buying, is that "green and leafy" in Australia can also mean fireprone. If the climate change pessimists are right, this is only going to get worse. Eucalypts are full of oil, and can ignite spontaneously miles ahead of the fire front. If you want to live in an area like Samford, better join the local volunteer State Emergency Service!

The Gap is also in the track of many of the storms that hit Brisbane from the west. There was major damage there a couple of years ago.

You also need to look at the floodmaps. There was another major development proposed by the Newman government which would have moved 11,000 people into the inner suburb of West End, which currently has a population of 8 million. It had dozens of high rise apartments planned for an area that regularly floods- occupied mostly by factories currently. Utter madness. The Queensland Art Gallery, I am reliably informed, lost a lot of its collection in the 2011 floods. This project (Kurilpa) is also on hold. These river banks used to be used only for farming, for a damned good reason!

The whole of the Brisbane area is a floodplain for the Brisbane river. Of course, we are told that valves have now been installed to stop water coming up the drains. This claim is untested. And won't be until we get the next cyclone.

And naturally, do not believe a word of what any real estate agent tells you!

whoops-I meant West End currently has a population of 8 thousand. Even so, the schools are full. No proposal in that plan to increase the capacity of the schools, which are heavily marketed in China, Singapore etc because the local high school is the only selective four year high school in the state.

If you are referring to the proposed development of Upper Kedron, the newly elected State government has just put the kybosh on that. Kate Jones, now Education Minister, campaigned against it in her electorate of Ashgrove. Confusing name - nothing to do with the inner northern suburb of Kedron.

No they haven't. They've said they'll look at it but that's all. It is questionable whether they have jurisdiction. I would imagine it will eventually go ahead after legal battles or in a different form.

My understanding is the cultural precinct (QAG, etc.) flooded but collections were broadly undamaged (barring a couple of military installations).

Another thing to remember, whether renting or buying, is that "green and leafy" in Australia can also mean fireprone. If the climate change pessimists are right, this is only going to get worse. Eucalypts are full of oil, and can ignite spontaneously miles ahead of the fire front. If you want to live in an area like Samford, better join the local volunteer State Emergency Service!

!

Not sure i agree with this,ive lived in a semi rural area for almost 9 years and never once been threatened by a bush fire. You find suburbs that are green do back burns etc to prevent this happening IF the area is deemed at risk. I don't recall any Brisbane suburb that has had property damaged by a bush fire in almost a decade.

Cal x

Have just read Michael Wood, The Story of England. The story of one village throughout history. A very good read. It's a reminder that England's "green and pleasant land" has been settled for so long back that there is only prehistory. Australia can be quite different, and often springs unpleasant surprises. I lived in Canberra for years. The so-called Bush Capital modeled itself on Melbourne. No one thought that whole suburbs could be wiped out by bushfires, and people killed, but they were. In fact, the house we once rented in a very leafy suburb was just a patch of dirt when I saw it a few months after the fire. Can't remember when - early 2000s anyway. IF the climate change pessimists are right - and I don't intend to get into that- things will get worse, with more extreme weather of all kinds.

Just suggesting that anyone emigrating might want to think about some of these things. My family has been here since 1820 and has certainly seen its share of fires and floods.

I would second the parking issue unless you have it fully catered for at the new job.

I live in an inner suburb so mostly use public transport into West End / South bank. However on the days that I do need to take the car, I need to arrive by 0630 am to make sure I get a space. Otherwise it's a long hike from the car. Good luck

Millie

Thanks for all the very helpful comments. Lots to think about. The flood plains map is pretty scary. Ferny Hills is looking more appealing!

Plenty of areas in Brisbane outside the flood zone! Just warning you to do your own due diligence, and not listen to the spruiking of real estate agents.

You need to come with an open mind and be prepared to alter your expectations. If you want leafy and green as in England, good schools and reasonably priced houses you are going to be disappointed by something. Schools are generally good and overall Aussie schools are superior to Uk schools according to international studies but if you want an excellent school you will be looking at private schools. The outback doesn't start outside Brisbane CBD and there are lots of pretty suburbs, loads of parks and play areas but the quality and size of houses can be varied. That doesn't mean they are complete dumps and not all Aussie houses have a massive pool and aircon. You don't get huge crime ridden council estates or endless dreary suburbs as you do in England.

You do need to look at transport links, mainly to work and i would recommend living somewhere near where you work to minimise cost and travel time. It took me an hour and a half to drive 20 km the other day. Trains are very expensive but they generally run on time are clean and have few disruptions.

Thanks for all the very helpful comments. Lots to think about. The flood plains map is pretty scary. Ferny Hills is looking more appealing!

Almost all suburbs are "mostly" flood free on residential streets. You should in no way discount whole areas due to flooding...in the brisbane city council area almost all suburbs have great swathes of totally flood free areas.

Not sure i agree with this,ive lived in a semi rural area for almost 9 years and never once been threatened by a bush fire. You find suburbs that are green do back burns etc to prevent this happening IF the area is deemed at risk. I don't recall any Brisbane suburb that has had property damaged by a bush fire in almost a decade.

Cal x

Yes Brisbane is far less prone to bush fires than southern states due to it's dry season being winter, not summer, and its fire season being in the cooler spring months rather than summer like the temperate zones.

...Of course, a lot depends on what you can afford to pay for a house. Plenty of leafy suburbs close to the city, but median price for a three bedroom house will be well over a million.

Most leafy suburbs close to Brisbane have medians well under a million for 3 bedrooms...multiple 100,000's under...

...The Gap is also in the track of many of the storms that hit Brisbane from the west. There was major damage there a couple of years ago.

After The Gap was unlucky to be hit by a couple of storms people starting saying this...I haven't been able to find any evidence it is more prone than anywhere else, except unreliable anecdotes dating from after that bad storm...

You need to come with an open mind and be prepared to alter your expectations. If you want leafy and green as in England, good schools and reasonably priced houses you are going to be disappointed by something. Schools are generally good and overall Aussie schools are superior to Uk schools according to international studies but if you want an excellent school you will be looking at private schools. ...

I guess it depends what you call reasonably priced houses ? Re the need for a private school to find an excellent school... many of the state schools in the west rate very highly...quite a few of local primary schools rate in the top 10 in Qld each year and some number 1 in Qld on NAPLAN...the area seems to have the most influence ? eg: http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/state-schools-in-high-socioeconomic-areas-record-half-the-top-10-average-scores-in-naplan-tests/story-fnihsrf2-1226719528898

...Am thinking about Ferny Grove / Ferny Hills but is the commute doable? Will I spend my life on the train? ...

Train from Ferny Grove is only 30 mins to the city.

If you live near the 385 route in The Gap it is less than 30 mins as well. The state primary and high schools in The Gap have very good reputations. The Gap is dearer than Ferny Grove but cheaper than the closer in Bardon and Ashgrove.

4 bed $619

Source: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-the+gap-118833871

4 bed $619

Source: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-the+gap-117350851

3 bed $519

Source: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-the+gap-119008587

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

We have just moved to Brisbane after living in Adelaide for 3 years. We looked at The Gap, Ferny Grove, Mitchelton, Kedron and surrounds. We ended up moving to Brighton near Sandgate. The Ferny Grove commute into the city is easy by train - especially if you can cycle to the station because there are plenty of bike lockers and even showers there. The station has been recently renovated i think. Our decision to buy in Brighton was because we wanted to be near the Bruce Highway for access to family and friends both in Sunshine and Gold Coast, sea breezes (because it was a stinking hot day when we visited Ferny Grove), and because i love the sense of community and old seaside village feel it has about it here. I don't regret living moving here one bit, we are about 35 mins away from Brisbane CBD by train at Sandgate and the kids can play in the mud and catch crabs down at the beach. There are also some lovely fish and chip shops here. If you enjoy seafood you can pop to shorncliffe and get it fresh of the trawlers when they come in.

Hey,

We have just moved to Brisbane after living in Adelaide for 3 years. We looked at The Gap, Ferny Grove, Mitchelton, Kedron and surrounds. We ended up moving to Brighton near Sandgate. The Ferny Grove commute into the city is easy by train - especially if you can cycle to the station because there are plenty of bike lockers and even showers there. The station has been recently renovated i think. Our decision to buy in Brighton was because we wanted to be near the Bruce Highway for access to family and friends both in Sunshine and Gold Coast, sea breezes (because it was a stinking hot day when we visited Ferny Grove), and because i love the sense of community and old seaside village feel it has about it here. I don't regret living moving here one bit, we are about 35 mins away from Brisbane CBD by train at Sandgate and the kids can play in the mud and catch crabs down at the beach. There are also some lovely fish and chip shops here. If you enjoy seafood you can pop to shorncliffe and get it fresh of the trawlers when they come in.

Yeah I found out about the showers/bicycle lockers at Ferny Grove station the other day. For those contemplating it they have just announced a $3million bike path along the old disused rail trail that runs from Ferny Grove station through the national park over to Samford Village. So you could live on acreage and then cycle 20-25 minutes along the paved path and then onto the train into the CBD in 30 minutes.

Sandgate sounds like a nice choice. I particularly like how it has its own little town centre including first dibs on a seat on a train 35mins into town. Mossies might occasionally be an issue there but can't have everything I guess.

Edited by fish.01