Help me narrow down my options?

Guest hoffer

Ok all as previous posts of mine show we moved from the UK to Manly in January and we have decided we do not want to stay in our current property at the end of the lease. So we are thinking of moving closer into the city. We had decided on moving to Bulimba but as its looking unlikely we will get our daughter into our prefered school (st peter and pauls) we are now having to look at other area's.

Problem is i think i want list is too specific but im hoping more knowledgeable people may think of somewhere we havent. So here is our wish list in no particular order.

1- House of 3 bedrooms with 2 garage spaces minimum

2- own swimming pool

3- catchment to Good primary and secondary schools preferably catholic but state also an option.

4- cafe/restaurant culture. By this we want to be able to walk to them and not just be confided to going to a westfield or the like

5- good public transport to Brisbane CBD for my work. no more than 30 minutes commute

6- demographic of young working families between the ages of 30 and 40 (may seem a strange one to some but Manly is a little older than we are and because of that have not made many friends in area)

So area's we are considering

Bulimba

paddington

newfarm

or stay in Manly

What are peoples thoughts? my lease isnt up till end of january but want to make the decision soon so we can move out just after christmas

Oh and the most difficult part for our ridiculous wish list is the budget of $1000 per week

Thanks everyone

A rental house with swimming pool are difficult but not impossible to find, investors/owners do not want the high maintenance costs associated with them, so any that do have pools attract a premium. I can not offer anything on schooling, sorry, but comment as follows-

Bulimba is expensive, and we often go to Oxford st. Hawthorn is next door and has a ferry, but a little further from the café scene.

Paddington may be a little lively especially when Suncorp is been used, but cannot any real advice on that one.

Newfarm, we really like, was down there last Sunday, again it is very expensive, but good café scene, and the power house is good. and has ferry connections.

Manly is fine on all fronts for me, another regular place we take walks on weekends, just a shame you can not find your age group there, they must all be hiding with their grannies!

There are of course several other area's, we find some just by driving around getting sort of lost, you could try looking on google maps or similar to see what info you can see/get from there and then have a drive to it see!

good luck

Keith

I cycle through New Farm on my way to and from work. I love this area.

Comparing Bulimba and New Farm, New Farm is better connected transport-wise but I think Bulimba has a larger more established cafe culture.

Paddington is lovely also. I love all 3 areas!

I've lived in Paddington and know various people still living there. In a nutshell, its noisy and the reason I hated it. All the people I know that still live there, and they are on various parts all say the same. The bought houses there years ago when it was a very different place... Now its full of house shares - both students and young professionals, lots of apartments. If you like party houses then its the place to be... My colleague has had a nightmare with the property next door to her and the noise plus other issues.

I didn't like it there at all, and wouldn't chose to bring a family up there... many do though. I moved a little further out, only 10km, to a slightly more suburban family area and have never been happier!

• 2 weeks later...

Clayfield has a great primary school - Eagle Junction state school. Both my kids went there and it is within easy reach of great high schools later down the track.

We will be moving to the UK and are tossing up whether to sell or rent. Our house fits your description exactly (oh other than we have 5 not 3 bedrooms)

PM me if you want to know more

Edited by mrsdawnrazor

Clayfield is nice and is possibly where we will buy if we can't get Ascot although we have no kids to consider.

S

Wanna buy my house - we could do a deal with no agents:-)

I have just moved to Sherwood and absolutely love it. Lived in a lot of places South Side and all nice, but Sherwood has so much going for it - Lovely walks - easy peasy train journey to city, great cinema at Graceville, lots of shops, restaurants, parks, - lots of mums, dads and kids enjoying the outdoors, very family oriented. Expensive - lots of houses have swimming pools and many have tennis courts - but we got a decent rental with pool for not too much ($650 for 5 bedder queenslander with lovely pool). I'd buy here if I could afford it and wasn't heading back to UK in under 2 years.... You'd need to check flood maps carefully if buying - but on the 'high side' where I rent I don't think much flooded.

Your budget's heaps!

This house is in a lovely road....

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-sherwood-414326295

Edited by Chortlepuss

I cycle through New Farm on my way to and from work. I love this area.

Comparing Bulimba and New Farm, New Farm is better connected transport-wise but I think Bulimba has a larger more established cafe culture.

Paddington is lovely also. I love all 3 areas!

I think New Farm area beats Bulimba for cafe culture but both great places. Clayfield is a good option. Wooloowin (my suburb) is part of the eagle junction catchment too. Basically stay within 5 k's of the city and all good options.

Forgot to mention Hendra, next to Ascot full of Queenslander houses and a great Thai restaurant and coffee shop i've been to and easy access to clayfield/ascot/hamilton

Edited by Guest