Toowoomba? Current job market? Easy to find a job?

garyjames

Hi,

I have been living in Darwin since March 2010, but am now considering moving interstate. I have researched quite a few places, including visiting a few places. At present I am seriously considering Toowoomba in Queensland.

I have started researching Toowoomba but am looking for advice on the current job market there? Is it easy to find a job in Toowoomba? And if so, where are good places to find employment?

I have done a search on here for past posts on Toowoomba but didn't find anything current on the job market.

Hoping some folk on here can tell me their views on this.

All advice will be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Gary

Edited by garyjames

• 2 weeks later...

Its hard to say without knowing your trade, but to be honest ,jobs aren't easy to find anywhere lately regardless of your trade, it can sometimes just boil down to luck. Is it not possible for you to take a holiday and fly down to look around and job hunt for a week? This would give you a good guide to whats what before you took the plunge. The airport is going ahead up there so i presume there will be some construction type jobs going but i wouldnt imagine they will be vacant for long.

Cal x

Hi GaryJames

We have been living in Toowoomba since June 14. I was lucky as had a job before we arrived, however my husband is still looking. I think it very much depends on what trade you're in though. Also whether your job normally requires a degree..... My husband has been a planning and waste water engineer in the UK for many years, but he doesn't have a degree in engineering (worked up from the bottom), as a result now he can't even get his foot in the door to demonstrate his skills purely because he doesn't have that bit of paper.

On a brighter note it is really lovely here, we settled very quickly and can't imagine being anywhere else. We are also very confident that a job will crop up for my husband very soon too. He has started getting his face out there and talking to people face to face. As a result he has started to get a few interviews :)

We were in Toowoomba last week, (have a house there) been 12 months since our last trip and we were very suprised to see the growth in the area. Were our house is it consisted of 2 streets of houses, now after just 12 months 100 homes have gone in and more blocks are being cut. The Highfields shopping area is all set for expansion, as cal said the Airport is about to open in Nov and we drove past for a look and they are cutting the blocks for the new business park. The new Sports complex has been approved out near Gowrie Junction, the New state high at Highfields will open in 2015, the new Catholic Primary will ad a grade 7 in 2015. The expansion to the central shopping center in Ruthven St has started. So as you can see Toowoomba is rapidly changing. Have you thought of contacting the Wagner's ? There the company bulding the new airport, they also have a construction company in Toowoomba, and are short listed for the new by pass highway, they "might" have some work available.

Its QLD snakes are everywhere,lol

Cal x

Funnily enough the only snake i've seen in Brisbane was up a tree on Elizabeth street in the city.

No hiding from them even in the CBD!

Hi CalNGary

Thanks for the reply and well noted.

I have a range of skills and experiences.

I am a bookkeeper, corporate finance adviser and former employee of H&R Block. I am currently working in property and have been for the past 4 and a half years for the NT Government. I also work at the weekends for a hotel doing 16 hours of Night Auditing work. When I was younger, and after I graduated, I became a fully qualified teacher and am recognised as such in Australia (but I don't want to do that line of work). Other things I have done: did 3 years in the infantry (army reserves), worked in manufacturing with china for 4 years, services with India for 3 years, and sold used vehicles for 4 years. Education wise I have first class degree in Business Studies from a UK University. I have been accepted to enter the CPA Program here in Australia but am not sure whether to proceed with that.

So I have done a range of things and am able to do a range of different jobs.

I have recently booked a flight to Brisbane for the 1st week of December, and will be spending 4 days in Toowoomba during the trip.

Kind Regards,

Gary

Hi BestyBlue,

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated and all points well noted.

As per the reply to CalNGary a few minutes ago, I have a range of skills and work experiences. I have a 1st class degree too. From reading your reply, it sounds like having a degree is valued in Toowoomba.

Can I ask what lines of work are offering the most interview opportunities for your partner?

Kind Regards,

Gary

Hi Tina2,

Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated and all points well noted.

I came across Wagners while doing a bit of job searching online a few weeks ago and they seem to have a few interesting openings.

How about the Queensland State Government in Toowoomba? The NT Government has a very open entry level program, which is how I managed to find a job so quickly in the NT. Do you know if the Queensland Government has a similar system in Toowoomba?

Kind Regards,

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Gary

If you are on LinkedIn, join the Toowoomba Queensland Community; with your experience, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I've found that most jobs that require a degree are advertised via agencies, a number of these agencies are members of this group.

Good luck

Chris

Edited by ToowoombaBlue