Queensland: Rockhampton or Yeppoon?

pk12

Hi all,

Got a job in Rocky starting about March 2015 and I've looking into accomodation and schooling. We have three kids aged 13, 11 and 5. I've found Yeppoon to be much cooler in temp compared to Rockhampton and that's definetely a plus. I really don't think i'd mind spending the 40 mins on the road between Yeppon and Rocky. But is there anything else one might find in favor of one or the other? Living, costs, schools, recreation (for the kids...), anything else you can think of. Thanks

i think once you get past a certain point, its just bloody hot and what the meteorological info you can find on the internet becomes meaningless. Brisbane is hot enough in summer. Living near work will mean less travel time and expense and more time to be with your kids and trying to cool down and rocky is bigger and will have more local facilities. Hopefully someone who lives there can explain the benefits of either place.

Couldn't spot a secondary school in Emu, is there?

I think the senior students have to get the school bus to Rocky, much the same as lots of small townships in Qld. My area (NW of Mackay) the seniors have a 110 km round trip set off at 7.05 AM, home about 4.35 PM.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi pk12

I think it comes down to whether you and the family prefer a small town (Yeppoon = 15,000 pop) or a larger city (Rockhampton = 60,000).

The biggest plus for Yeppoon is the beach. If the family like to walk, surf or swim (or fish) every day then Yeppoon would be better. If they don't fancy the beach then they are probably about the same. Rockhampton has more shops, cinemas and general stuff to do as it's bigger. Surf Lifesaving Clubs in Australia (if the kids like to swim) are a great way for the whole family to make friends - they involve people from 5 to 95.

I tend to think primary schools in Australia are - except perhaps poorer capital city areas - fairly similar. Both Yeppoon and Rockhampton have good high schools (St Brendans and St Ursula's in Yeppoon, and Rockhampton Grammar). Not sure on the 'good' state high schools if you don't want to pay fees but a google search would no doubt reveal.

Recreation wise for the kids - most kids in regional Qld fill their outside school time with sport. Rockhampton will have more opportunities but Yeppoon will have enough. Rockhampton has a big cinema, Yeppoon you just about wouldn't bother. Neither town has restaurants to write home about. If they're more cultural and you're after music, singing etc lessons, the bigger city will have more opportunities.

Weather wise, Yeppoon will be a touch cooler as they get a sea breeze, but not enough to make a decision on. 40 min each way is quite a commute for regional Qld. Would you rather be relaxing with a beer or playing with the kids for that extra hour a day?

I think it comes down to: use the beach every (other) day? Yeppoon. not bothered about the beach, or just on a weekend? Rockhampton.

Cheers AdR

Edited by AdR

Awsome info AdR, thank you so much. Yes we do love the beach but I do think instead of commuting another 40 mins daily, we'd better do this whenever we go to the beach. That is if really the temps are not that different, cause I saw last year they had a 5C max difference.

I'll look into the schools you proposed.

Is Yeppoon really noticeably more exp.?

Awsome info AdR, thank you so much. Yes we do love the beach but I do think instead of commuting another 40 mins daily, we'd better do this whenever we go to the beach. That is if really the temps are not that different, cause I saw last year they had a 5C max difference. I think that's a good move. Yeppoon may also be a little too much of a retirement village. It's close enough (and no traffic) so you can get up to the beach on a Saturday morning for a swim/surf and be back for lunch.

I think you get used to the weather wherever you are, and no it's not that different, Rocky can be a bit more 'baking' without a breeze, whereas Yeppoon usually gets the offshore breeze.

I'll look into the schools you proposed. I'd suggest having a look at http://www.myschool.edu.au - has statistics on all schools, so you can judge based on what's important to you (academic results, teacher student ratio, etc) rather than random people's opinions :)

Is Yeppoon really noticeably more exp.? The only difference would be house/rent prices. http://www.realestate.com.au is the biggest real estate website in Australia so will tell you all you need to know. The 'wealthier' suburbs in Rockhampton are Rockyview, Glenlee, Alton Downs, Lammermoor and Gracemere. The lower socio suburbs are Depot Hill and Berseker.

• 4 months later...

Hi PK12

we have recently moved to Yeppoon from Tannum sands ( 2 hours away) and it is a lovely place to live( moved from Manchester UK in 2012). My Husband works in Rockhampton and really doesn't mind the 30 mins commute as there are short cuts to get you to Rocky quicker. But the choice is yours in the end......the sea breeze is great ( you wont get that in Rocky) and its stinking hot in Spring/summer and you will really need a pool to cool off in !!! It really depends on what side of Rocky you work to how long it will take you to get there from Yeppoon and also which side of Yeppoon you would like to live in. The rental market is definitely a renters market and there are lots of houses to choose from which you can make an offer for. Maybe if you stay in Rocky for a few days when you 1st arrive here and then you can see what areas you like etc....if you need anymore help get in touch.

Hello Miller family!

This was a pleasant surprise, I didn't expect to get another reply so much later. Thank you so much for the info.

We are currently living in Chania, Greece, a seaside town so we really like the cooling effect the sea breeze offers as weel as the beach of course. We are accustomed to high temps, summer here is around 33 to 36C but rarely reaches 38C+, never 40-42's! So we are concerned with the heat somewhat. But we'll be arriving in April so we won't feel any of the real summer time to tell the difference. On the other hand Yeppoon does seem to offer limited variety compared to Rocky. I guess as you said we'd have to get there and see...

I'll be working at the airport so I guess that's about another 10' drive? Do you know already if there are any ballet or martial arts schools in Yeppoon? We'dlike to have the kids continue doing what they're used to, there will be enough changes in their lives...

Thanks, Pano

Rocky would be the worst place I've spent time in anywhere in Oz, Darwin a close 2nd. Less time in Yeppoon, it just happened to be where a boat racer lived back then and we called in for a day.

I've lived on the Capricorn Coast (Emu Park) for five years and Rocky for about 11 years. After a while the daily commute does get somewhat tedious, especially in the winter months. Quite a few people I work with do the daily commute and car pool. I also found that because you spend a lot of time travelling during the week you just want to stay on the coast at the weekends! During the sports season parents spend lots of time taking their children to and from various venues in the region.

There are dance schools on the coast and in Rocky, but lots more to choose from in Rocky. If your children enjoy performing, the Rockhampton Musical Union is excellent. They are about to perform Aladdin at the Pilbeam Theatre next weekend.

In terms of schooling, Rocky offers lots more variety. It has three state high schools (Rockhampton North, Rockhampton and Glenmore) and two large Catholic High Schools (Emmaus College and The Cathedral College), private schools (Grammar and Girls Grammar). There are also a number of smaller religious-based schools. I have friends whose children come into Rocky every day on the bus from the Coast as Yeppoon just has the one state high school and two Catholic schools (one for girls and one for boys). My choice was to send my children to Catholic Primary and High Schools and they have both had really good experiences. Schooling is such a personal thing and it depends on what your children enjoy and what you are prepared to spend. North Rockhampton SHS has an excellent music program and a new hospitality centre, Glenmore has the AMSCO program for Maths and Science. Have a good look around and see what suits your children's interests.

A suburb that hasn't been mentioned is Frenchville - some parts are really lovely with houses on elevated positions with views and cool breezes. The Frenchville State School has an excellent reputation if you live in the catchment area. There are lots of new houses being built in the area around the University, so very easy access to the Coast.

It really is a buyers market at the moment. I personally wouldn't consider Gracemere as an option, however I really don't think you can judge a place until you have lived there. Like most places there are desirable and not so desirable areas to live in.

Good luck with making a decision!

Goingbacksoon you hit the nail on the head. We've actually been advised to look into Frenchville, Norman Gardens maybe too, but i wasn't aware there actually are breezes getting there. How come when Mt Archer is right by it? Is public transport available in the area around/northeast of the University?

We're looking into public schools at the moment, both primary and high schools needed, at least until we settle in and sort out finances, any advice there is welcome. As for Catholic schools, no offence but we're not catholic so we think not. And as newcomers we'd feel "safer" having the kids close by rather than having them take the bus for such a distance, but thanks for the insight.

You mentioned it is a buyers market. Would that make it a renters market too or not necessarily so?

Tina2 thank you so for your time!

Just something to be aware of if you are moving north to Townsville or similar, wether you rent or buy ask about the cyclone rating on the property. Most new properties are Cat 5 so should stand up to severe cyclone.

Thanks Tina.

Hi pk12 - went to a bbq on Saturday evening at a house in an elevated part of Norman Gardens and the breeze was lovely. The hosts said they always have a breeze!! I think you just have to be careful where you go. At my house the front is hot as it faces north, and it is much cooler at the back. Yes, lots more rentals available at the moment.

Check out the Sunbus and Youngs buses website for transport information. I drive my primary school child to school in the morning and she either gets the bus home in the afternoon or goes to after school care. The 15 year old usually walks to and from school and meets her sister at the bus stop - there are no roads to cross and she enjoys the exercise!

• 1 month later...

Hi pk12,

have you moved to rockhampton yet? I may be considering a similar move towards the middle of this year. I will be looking for school for my kids as well. If you have any info/updates, pls post them. I'd love to hear how your move was..

regards,

dv4

Just wanted to say, even if Frenchville SS is out of your area, put your name down on the waiting list right at the start of the year (around Feb, March before they start advertising that its application time) You may still get in! I live by the airport and my son got in. Last November a friend said that she'd been turned down because she lived out of the catchment zone. 2 weeks later I saw her at the school for the orientation! And use the Myschools website to compare schools too.

The breeze is pretty good over on southside too, but maybe that's just some areas?