Mackay Anyone? Sunshine Coast anyone?

Fanya

In a dilemma of where to go. Flights booked from Manchester to Brisbane 28th April 2014. Destination uncertain! Offered jobs Sunshine Coast or Mackay?

Two young boys under the age of 3 years. Anyone with experience of both area or who can advise pro or cons of either of the areas?

We really liked them both. Lived in Mackay for 18 months, found it safe and friendly - new redeveloped shopping centre good.

If your children were older (such as teenagers) I would certainly favour Sunshine coast for activities based on the fact that Brisbane and Gold Coast is within easy reach - whilst they are younger plenty for them to do at either location.

Sunshine Coast beaches on the whole - nicer and more accessible. Weather warm in both areas and plenty of beautiful spots in both locations.

Personally prefer Sunshine Coast as within driving distance of more options in terms facilities and events.

Good luck and enjoy wonderful Queensland.

Thanks Bobj, good to hear Mackay is scenic and has good schools. Its a must! How do you find the summer weather wise? Is it like the constant rain we get in the UK but warmer?

Hi Aorange, 'safe and friendly' is a very positive comment. May I ask why you left Mackay? Do you currently live on the Sunshine Coast?

My partner and I travelled and worked in Australia for a year in 2008 (travelling from Darwin to Tasmania, returning a year later to Western Australia to get our residency visa's stamped). We fell in love with Queensland. We absolutely love the outdoors, beaches and national parks. Its the kind of life style we want for our boys, camping and fishing etc.

Thanks Bobj, good to hear Mackay is scenic and has good schools. Its a must! How do you find the summer weather wise? Is it like the constant rain we get in the UK but warmer?

Hi Aorange, 'safe and friendly' is a very positive comment. May I ask why you left Mackay? Do you currently live on the Sunshine Coast?

My partner and I travelled and worked in Australia for a year in 2008 (travelling from Darwin to Tasmania, returning a year later to Western Australia to get our residency visa's stamped). We fell in love with Queensland. We absolutely love the outdoors, beaches and national parks. Its the kind of life style we want for our boys, camping and fishing etc.

Not at all like the rain in the UK. We have twice the rainfall in usually only 4 months (Dec-March) and the humidity can be stifleing. Maximum temps are about 35C and night temps to about 26C during The Wet.

Don't get me started on camping and fishing, suffice to say, it is marvellous.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi, we're looking to move to Mackay in July, husband is a welder looking for work. Any info on Blacks Beach area?? Many thanks x

Eimeo and Black's Beach are good areas but be aware of flood prone areas. It is generally considered as a holiday suburb.

A few houses on the market, to give you an idea...

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-blacks+beach,+qld+4740/list-1

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Fanya, We moved from Mackay due to work opportunity and we realised that for us personally we were not going to remain there forever. If my family were there or I ran my own business I would have had a different outlook I am sure.

However it is a pleasant country town by the sea with a good climate (great in the winter - 23 degree days and blue skies). We left on 2011 and then the place was expensive due to the mining boom - however there was also a lot of prosperity with good employment opportunities. We don't live on the Sunshine Coast but been fortunate to have spent some time there.

Hi, we're looking to move to Mackay in July, husband is a welder looking for work. Any info on Blacks Beach area?? Many thanks x

We lived in Blacks Beach in 2011. Great beach for walk and very much a holiday feel about the place. Shoal Point, Bucasia, Eimeo all nice neighbouring suburbs along the coast with nice pockets of housing.

Nearby good shopping centre and school.

Mackay has come down in price a lot in the last year, however it also isn't that secure work wise at the moment as the mines have cut many jobs which in the end makes the region tick along.

It's a very nice place to live compared to the UK where we were in a big city. I have lots of positives for Mackay, few negatives but couldn't comment on the Sunny Coast

Hi Fanya,

We've lived here for 2.5 years now and have gone between loving it and hating it here.

It's certainly a great place for very young kids like yours, beaches and parks etc, however, there's not much to do on the days that are too hot to be out in or rainy days (of which unfortunately, happen in the 6 week summer holidays) I found it to be very difficult with my 2 until i had a good friend base. Play dates are the only real rainy day option.

It's settled down here in the time we've lived here, it was quite souless and cut throat for a while when the mining boom was at it's peak, but things are at a more sustainable level now which is better for those of us who have remained here.

Mackay is a very transient town, you will have to get used to people coming and going, it's good to make money, more so now as rentals are plentiful and much cheaper. Wen we arrived, it was a landlords market and awful.. it's now very much a tenants market.

I know people who have fallen in love with Mackay and are happy to settle here for good. It's not for us however and we are looking to move on. It's frustrating that the things you would like to be availible, you have to order in. You can expect to pay much more for your groceries here as the transit costs are high and the quality of the food can be pretty poor because of this.

Depending on where you have come from, Mackay is quite a culture shock. There are pockets of 'it's a mans world' and women are still pretty low down on the social ladder. This isn't true of Mackay as a whole but don't be surprised if you find yourself struggling with the kids in a busy shopping cue and a man just pushes in front of you (this has happened to me many times). Drivers are impolite and ruthless at times. Don't be bullied on the roads, sadly, you have to become an asshat amongst many other asshats to avoid the dumbass mentality of "I'm bigger then you, move over'

Britain has become so PC, Mackay is so not! ;) Just a wee warning.

Mackay is a pretty town, quirky little shops in it's centre, nice walks along the river and more beautiful beaches than you could ever want (just watch for crocs and stingers).

Anyway, I wish you all the very best when you move.. where ever you decide in the end. :) You'll be arriving at a gorgeous time of year too, perfect temps :)

I'm painting a conflicted picture of Mackay, it has it's beautiful and it's ugly points thats for sure

Thank you for all the feedback, a lot of food for thought there. However time is quickly running out!! We fly out in less than 3 weeks. It took me 4 years to decide whether to make the move or not. With Australia being such a massive country I suppose I am not expecting to be able to make a definite decison on where we will 'settle'. We have 2 years before our youngest is at school so can move around if necessary until then. I am Just hoping for more family time, enjoying the outdoors with plenty of camping and exploring. Also to make a few good friends.

Think we are going to give Mackay a go. We are after getting a second hand landcruiser. Do people think we would be best to try and buy whilst Brisbane way as there may be more options/choice? Or is there plenty of second hand vehicles available in Mackay? We arrive in Oz 3 weeks before I start work so pretty flexible and have yet to book any accommodation.

Edited by Fanya

Thank you for all the feedback, a lot of food for thought there. However time is quickly running out!! We fly out in less than 3 weeks. It took me 4 years to decide whether to make the move or not. With Australia being such a massive country I suppose I am not expecting to be able to make a definite decison on where we will 'settle'. We have 2 years before our youngest is at school so can move around if necessary until then. I am Just hoping for more family time, enjoying the outdoors with plenty of camping and exploring. Also to make a few good friends.

Think we are going to give Mackay a go. We are after getting a second hand landcruiser. Do people think we would be best to try and buy whilst Brisbane way as there may be more options/choice? Or is there plenty of second hand vehicles available in Mackay? We arrive in Oz 3 weeks before I start work so pretty flexible and have yet to book any accommodation.

G'day mate, buy in Brissie and drive up, it's only a 9 hour drive.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi, what jobs do you have to go to, if you don't mind me asking? We've just booked our flights to Mackay for June.

Hi hogg2007,

I have a community nursing job. My fella is a builder, however is going to be full time Dad whilst looking for work and whilst we organise childcare (not sure what the situation is in Mackay but the UK has lengthy waiting lists for childcare)........although he thinks he will be mainly fishing and golfing!!!!!

Hi hogg2007,

I have a community nursing job. My fella is a builder, however is going to be full time Dad whilst looking for work and whilst we organise childcare (not sure what the situation is in Mackay but the UK has lengthy waiting lists for childcare)........although he thinks he will be mainly fishing and golfing!!!!!

Ahhhh...He will not be disappointed. 50 lb barramundi, coral trout, mackerel, etc and beaut golly courses to swing a club...

Cheers, Bobj.

In a dilemma of where to go. Flights booked from Manchester to Brisbane 28th April 2014. Destination uncertain! Offered jobs Sunshine Coast or Mackay?

Two young boys under the age of 3 years. Anyone with experience of both area or who can advise pro or cons of either of the areas?

I like Mackay but with two kids, I'd go Sunshine Coast. Within driving distance of Brisbane, not so far from the rest of the world!

Hi hogg2007,

Mackay Family Daycare, not a huge wait and about 7.50 p/h (don't know if you're eligible for govt 50% subsidy on that). Getting young kiddies in any daycare is harder than odler ones but last time I looked the long daycare in Blacks Beach had vacancies.

Just watch out for some of the bad build areas; avoid Blacks Beach Cove like the plague - narrow little roads, no rear access and people park their cars on the nature strip, making the place look like a giant jumble sale. Plantation Palms is pretty much the same deal.

Think we are going to give Mackay a go.

Just bear in mind, there are stingers in the sea round Mackay, which means you can't let the kids in the water in the summer except at netted beaches. You also have to watch out for crocodiles. No such risks on the Sunshine Coast so a lot safer for the kids.

The other thing is that yes, Australia is a massive country, and in Mackay you're a long way from all of it - which means (a) if you do decide to move later, it's going to be very expensive to relocate (on the Sunshine Coast there's more competition and therefore lower prices for removalists) and (b) it's a long drive to go anywhere on holiday apart from the Barrier Reef and Eungalla.

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/while-most-of-us-spent-the-day-working-a-3m-crocod/2143075/

Edited by Marisawright

You swim between the flags on the Sunshine Coast. You do the same in Mackay where the lifeguards drag the water daily and close the beach when stingers are around, same as they do down south when dangerous surf is around.

The fact that *every* time a croc is seen outside the mangrove it makes the news shows it's not a regular occurrence. The last time someone was taken locally was nearly 100 years ago. The last time someone died in a car crash..? Perceived risk and all that

Ultimately give either a go, they both have their benefits and problems - higher crime in one area, more remote in the other. Accessability here, less crowding there

6 of one, half dozen of the other. If you like brights lights or need specific medical care you need to be near the larger centres, but if you like it a bit more relaxed and with short commutes then Mackay is fine.

Thank you for all the feedback. The decision is made and Mackay is the destination due to fond memories of times spent previously in central/northern Queensland. At this time don't really want to be near a city, more looking for a simple life and the great outdoors with plenty of family time.