Brisbane state high entrance exams

Asha Thanki

Hi we are looking to moving to Brisbane by this August. We are looking at encouraging our daughter to sit the entrance exams which will be held in March 2015 for year 7 entry in 2017. Does anyone have advice on the type of papers as they have just moved to year 6 entry? Are the exams anything like the 11+ in the uk ?? Thxs

• 4 weeks later...

My son sat these a few years ago and didn't get in. He did very well (top in English) but struggled with some questions as he didn't know how to answer them. His friend from primary (same ability) got in but received private tutoring (a lot of Asian applicants get tutoring in specifically how to pass). No worries as he subsequently got into Queenland Academy which is vastly superior academically. I thought that State High were dropping their entrance exam as they were obliged to take catchment only? If your kid is very academic, I'd look at Queenland Academy but the kids do have to work like dogs and it's not for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I'm living right on the doorstep at brisbane state high school , my husband has a apartment there since nov , we moved here from perth 3 months ago , I have been trying for six weeks to get my boy in bshs theve had me running round like a headless chicken for six weeks for prove this and that , which I have proved but it's come back because it's only a one bed apartment they are saying we have done it just get me kid in the school which is not true at all it because we were paying two rents here and perth and the perth rental has only just gone couldn't take a 3 rd house on when u r tied under a contract we have just had a letter from bshs saying we can appeal but how long is that going take he's already been out of school a full term messing around with them , and they tell me after all the pee arsing about there is no op subjects left for a year 11 student anyway couldn't take him a school out the area to pull him out again once we found somewhere live which we have from next week , I would of stayed and rented in the catchment into a bigger place once the lease was up on this and the house went in perth , but my husband said , Sam won't like going there if they are like that now , I'm annoyed because two Chinese children live in these apartments and they are all one bedroom and they go there , my oh said it makes no difference what school he goes once we've settled in a home because that means nothing wether ya kids are going to do well or not , school is just a foundation , and I walk past there every single day still like anyother school , they look nice in their uniforms but still have seen them spitting and shoving , I looked at a house on vulture street omg I wouldn't of put my dog in it for the money they wanted for it , but Noway could I of afforded 3 contracts on the go and my mortgage in uk also we didn't move here for the school it was purely work dried up in perth , gets offered job in brissie , cars were still in perth nearest rental to perth , I come over around 10 wk ago thinking school across road shud get him in in catchment just wanted me boy miss nothing but they don't care found em very harsh because they full , unless ya kid is extremely academic which will show good on their records load of **** , my hubby went a state school did no good at school went college changed his tune , became a chartered engineer qualified up to the hilt now so people should judge books by their cover and they made me. Feel like I was lying to them and we took it on purely for the school which is so not true makes you feel like getting on first flight home , nevermind though move in a house next week in wellington point hoping to get him in there couldn't just stick him in any here because didn't know where we would end up , if I had of got him in bshs from when we arrived I would of rented in area but theve come up with every excuse going not worth it and he probably would get cast aside anyway now in year 11 missed nearly a full term just had bad luck here that's all what with perth then here , got a private tutor though for now , :biggrin:

Hi I'm living right on the doorstep at brisbane state high school , my husband has a apartment there since nov , we moved here from perth 3 months ago , I have been trying for six weeks to get my boy in bshs theve had me running round like a headless chicken for six weeks for prove this and that , which I have proved but it's come back because it's only a one bed apartment they are saying we have done it just get me kid in the school which is not true at all it because we were paying two rents here and perth and the perth rental has only just gone couldn't take a 3 rd house on when u r tied under a contract we have just had a letter from bshs saying we can appeal but how long is that going take he's already been out of school a full term messing around with them , and they tell me after all the pee arsing about there is no op subjects left for a year 11 student anyway couldn't take him a school out the area to pull him out again once we found somewhere live which we have from next week , I would of stayed and rented in the catchment into a bigger place once the lease was up on this and the house went in perth , but my husband said , Sam won't like going there if they are like that now , I'm annoyed because two Chinese children live in these apartments and they are all one bedroom and they go there , my oh said it makes no difference what school he goes once we've settled in a home because that means nothing wether ya kids are going to do well or not , school is just a foundation , and I walk past there every single day still like anyother school , they look nice in their uniforms but still have seen them spitting and shoving , I looked at a house on vulture street omg I wouldn't of put my dog in it for the money they wanted for it , but Noway could I of afforded 3 contracts on the go and my mortgage in uk also we didn't move here for the school it was purely work dried up in perth , gets offered job in brissie , cars were still in perth nearest rental to perth , I come over around 10 wk ago thinking school across road shud get him in in catchment just wanted me boy miss nothing but they don't care found em very harsh because they full , unless ya kid is extremely academic which will show good on their records load of **** , my hubby went a state school did no good at school went college changed his tune , became a chartered engineer qualified up to the hilt now so people should judge books by their cover and they made me. Feel like I was lying to them and we took it on purely for the school which is so not true makes you feel like getting on first flight home , nevermind though move in a house next week in wellington point hoping to get him in there couldn't just stick him in any here because didn't know where we would end up , if I had of got him in bshs from when we arrived I would of rented in area but theve come up with every excuse going not worth it and he probably would get cast aside anyway now in year 11 missed nearly a full term just had bad luck here that's all what with perth then here , got a private tutor though for now , :biggrin:
. Nearest rental to work not perth , & shouldn't judge a book by it's cover not should , now if my oh thought at first about us coming over and staying perhaps he wouldn't of took this on and gone further out but when you have just left uk to perth , then perth to brissie ya first priority is keep the wage coming in or it's game over here , and from being put on short time in perth to being offered this after a conferance call here it was a case of get over here , but things should work out for us now , but been no walk in the park by any means , shame work took a nose dive or it would of been a walk in the park for us , been offered work back in perth , but cannot take no more hassle :)

Shelly, would you be able to think about putting some paragraph breaks in your posts. I notice that you don't tend to and I really would like to know what you have to say, but I just can't read it. Thanks.

Ok rupert lol , I just rattle it off sorry , I get told all the time by people about it but not in such a polite way ,

So I will do it next time :biggrin:

Shelly, would you be able to think about putting some paragraph breaks in your posts. I notice that you don't tend to and I really would like to know what you have to say, but I just can't read it. Thanks.

I have aver just shown my oh what you said , he laughed he said he can read it , but it is difficult to read but it's just the way I am lol ,

I said I can read it upside down haha , but next time I post a big long post I will split into paragraphs no worries . :biggrin:

I have aver just shown my oh what you said , he laughed he said he can read it , but it is difficult to read but it's just the way I am lol ,

I said I can read it upside down haha , but next time I post a big long post I will split into paragraphs no worries . :biggrin:

Hi Shelly,

Just so you know, as someone vaguely interested in the topic (I have a kid in Brisbane) I skipped right over your post. Obviously it doesn't matter too much if you decide not to put any full-stops or paragraphs in what you write. It's entirely up to you. But a lot of people, like myself, won't even try to read it as a result.

I'm not having a go or anything (my writing is awful too) but just adding to what Rupert is saying.

Best of luck in getting your kid into State High!

Rob

Hi Shelly,

Just so you know, as someone vaguely interested in the topic (I have a kid in Brisbane) I skipped right over your post. Obviously it doesn't matter too much if you decide not to put any full-stops or paragraphs in what you write. It's entirely up to you. But a lot of people, like myself, won't even try to read it as a result.

I'm not having a go or anything (my writing is awful too) but just adding to what Rupert is saying.

Best of luck in getting your kid into State High!

Rob

Hi , thanks for a nice post , I completely understand it's ok , always get pulled up for it lol, I am not gifted that way haha , I'm good at other things though , I should of paid more attention at school . We are moving out the area at the weekend so my boy will go another school now .

Like my hubbie said to me you carnt be lucky in love , beautiful and gifted at the same time . Thanks though for being kind about it :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Hello,

We live outside the catchment area. My son gave this BSHS entry through academic excellence entrance exam. I did get through and now goes to grade 8. We found that the school is very good and we are saving loads of money that we would have paid to private school. School staff and admin come across as unhelpful and rude but we have to accept that move on. Atleast my son is good education. To answer your question, the question papers are very similar to EXCEL workbooks