Anyone moving to Brisbane in 2014???

flissbob

Hello fellow poms!

We are a married couple in our late 20's, no kids yet and are hoping to make the big move to brisbane next year (around April time)! Would like to meet likeminded people before we move! I am a general nurse who works in acute surgery and the hubby works in retail management (hoping to apply for the police down under).

We currently live in Yorkshire. Would love to hear from fellow poms who will be settling in and looking for new friends around that time!!

Hope to get some responses!

Fliss and Greg

X :cute:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello! Thanks for your reply! Are you on the life in queensland website too? I have literally just registered, think I saw you on there! Where abouts are you doing your training? Enjoying it? I know how you feel, it seems like ages away but will soon come around!

There is actually a new hospital being built on the sunshine coast, I'm no sure if it has MH facilities though!

Hello! Thanks for your reply! Are you on the life in queensland website too? I have literally just registered, think I saw you on there! Where abouts are you doing your training? Enjoying it? I know how you feel, it seems like ages away but will soon come around!

There is actually a new hospital being built on the sunshine coast, I'm no sure if it has MH facilities though!

Hi yes, I just joined there too! Im surprised how quiet it was. We had originally planned to emigrate to Adelaide and used to se Poms in Adelaide site which seemed far busier, such a shame as it would have been lovely to have a specific site to go to. Iv just noticed your IELTS results, wow you did fantastic! Im hoping to sit mine in my 4 week summer break this year so I have time to practice. 1 less thing to worry about nearer the time.

Im studying in Nottingham but moved here from Blackpool to study. Iv just turned 30 and have 3 children though so its a bit of a handful, but I never give up! I hoping to work in an acute setting once qualified so Im starting my search for MH facilities at the moment. Im trying to put together a spreadsheet with contacts so that once Iv qualified I can get my CV finalised and start sending it off here there and everywhere. Ill probably wait till Iv got my Aphra registration though.

Do you finish your training next year then? Yes the ielts is fine, I just bought several books and practiced lots. The listening and speaking parts are really really easy, the reading is the hardest and what I had to practice the most as some of the answers are a bit misleading I found! Writing is fine as u will b used to writing essays, just had to practice writing the required word count within the allocated time if that makes sense! The worst part I found was waiting for the results! Seemed like forever!

I still have to apply for the aphra, that's the last little hurdle now! And apparently one of the most trickiest :S what type of visa are you thinking of? I went down the 175 route as only needed one years work experience. Most of the sponsored jobs I found were in the remote areas and I didn't want to be tied to a job to find I didn't like it. I went to a seminar which was really useful and I would recommend. Argh it's all so exciting, wish we cud go tomorrow!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am from yorkshire originally but have lived in liverpool for 10 years.

We are doing a recce trip to Brisbane in April this year and if goes well we are aiming for end of 2014/beg 2015.

We have friends in Toowoomba and Burleigh heads that we are meeting up with.

We also have arranged to look around Brisbane royal hospital during our visit.

We have been told by hospital managers that the royal childrens hospital and the private hospital are merging at end of 2014.

ALso new sunshine coast hospital being built.

My husband and I are physios in early 30'3 with a 2 year old and may have another little one with us by the time we make the move.

Any areas in mind to move to?

Cheers :)

Guest dannii28

Hello,

we are heading to Brisbane to. Originally wanted to go this summer but a slight hiccup on the money front we are pushing our move back to feb/march next year.

we are both late 20's with a 14 month old little boy teddy from Liverpool. We lived in burleigh heads for 12 months but had to come home because our PR visa wasn't granted in time

hubby is a plasterer who has re trained in health and safety, but not moved into that field of work yet. I am hoping to go to uni when we move to do midwifery or paediatric nursing.

• 1 month later...

Hello thanks you for all of your replies!! Sorry for the slow response I have been busy with work and uni work (doing my masters at the moment... Eurgh!). Hayleyphysio, I am thinking north lakes, as I believe it is going to be an up and coming area, with lovely houses that are very reasonable in price for a first time buyer! We are going for a trip in June to validate the visa and look around some potential areas, will you please let me know how your trip goes in April?? Would be interesting to hear others views! Where abouts in Yorkshire were you originally from??

Dannii28, you must like the place to be going back! Will have a look at burleigh heads as seems popular! You sound pretty much in our situation as we are literally waiting to save the cash at the moment!

FFP215, have you been before?? If so what areas are you thinking of??

If anyone is interested in making friends please feel free to pm me :) would be great to have some one to natter to!

Hi, we plan to stay in the CBD when we first arrive and then depending on jobs etc. find somewhere when we get there. I have family on the Sunshine Coast so I've visited the area a few times and my OH previously lived in Brisbane when he was travelling, so hopefully we know what we're letting ourselves in for. What about you? Have you visited before or will June be the first time?

Yes it will be our first time in June :) so will be doing some research into different areas when we get there... But at the moment we are thinking either north lakes or Sunshine Coast (due to the new hospital being built there, I'm a nurse). Judging by your signature are you in IT then? It's great that you have family out there, my husband and I will just have each other, hoping our families will visit and think about following us out there! Really can't wait to go, especially with this weather we are having at the moment! Horrible!! Do you know what the summers are like over there? Is it comfortable enough to enjoy it or is it too hot? We are going in June as that's when we had to validate our visa, which is obviously their winter time! I am worried about the other half struggling with the summer heat!

Hello all,

Yes, we're planning to move Brisbane in 2014 too - hopefully in January. We're an engaged couple (getting married this summer) also in our late 20's and without children presently living in Oxfordshire.

I've never been to Australia, and my fiancee last went when she was a child, so we're planning to head over on a WHV and to try our luck getting sponsored for a 457 whilst in country. We know another couple living in Perth who did exactly this, so figure it's a good way to test the waters without committing too much money upfront.

How are everyone's plans coming along?

Rob.

Hi all,

its 2 weeks to our trip and we are excited to pack and get out there. I will be sure to let you know how it goes. I'm hoping our 2 year old gets some sleep on the flight!

We are planning on having a nosey around a few areas near Brisbane but not sure where. I am concerned about how expensive the child care is- I've been quoted $60-100 per day! At that rate I would have to do private evening work once hubby home! Also not sure what the best visa would be for us. I am sending our resumes to a locum agency to see if they can help with advice.

Flissbob I am from Ilkley originally.

Does anybody know anything about household expenses in the Brisbane area?

Kind regards xx

Hi.. Just looking at Brisbane for me and my family too.. Originally wanted Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide... But my husband is keen on Brisbane.. I'm a practice nurse and he is a rope access technician. Which subs have you been looking at? We are hoping to make the move end of 2013 begin of 2014 . Awaiting to hear from AHPRA regarding my registration.

• 4 months later...
Hi yes, I just joined there too! Im surprised how quiet it was. We had originally planned to emigrate to Adelaide and used to se Poms in Adelaide site which seemed far busier, such a shame as it would have been lovely to have a specific site to go to. Iv just noticed your IELTS results, wow you did fantastic! Im hoping to sit mine in my 4 week summer break this year so I have time to practice. 1 less thing to worry about nearer the time.

Im studying in Nottingham but moved here from Blackpool to study. Iv just turned 30 and have 3 children though so its a bit of a handful, but I never give up! I hoping to work in an acute setting once qualified so Im starting my search for MH facilities at the moment. Im trying to put together a spreadsheet with contacts so that once Iv qualified I can get my CV finalised and start sending it off here there and everywhere. Ill probably wait till Iv got my Aphra registration though.

Hi just spotted your post, i'm also a nurse moving over to Brisbane area next June 2014, and am in Balckpool... fingers crossed we all get sorted with the jobs we want.

Good Luck

This thread has been quiet for a while. How did everybody's recce trips go? My wife and I, early 30s are looking to go in a couple of years. Not a nurse like most of you though :P also not from the North. Originally from wales, been in Reading for 8 years. Will defo want contacts when we get there :)

Tell us about the recces!!

This thread has been quiet for a while. How did everybody's recce trips go? My wife and I, early 30s are looking to go in a couple of years. Not a nurse like most of you though :P also not from the North. Originally from wales, been in Reading for 8 years. Will defo want contacts when we get there :)

Tell us about the recces!!

Recce trip went great.....we did ours in Feb this year for a month, found that the slightly more inland places i.e Ipswich etc had more jobs it appears than perhaps on Gold Coast itself, however my hubby is happy to do any job initially and then look for something else...

The place is amazeballs...parks, coast BBQ's good schools (we visited three high schools) night out in Brisbane was great certainly not cheap bought riverside nightclub over looking the bridge was lovely and not toooo expensive!

Can't wait for golden ticket! Let the adventure begin :)

Hi all we did a 3 week trip in April/may and looked mainly around Brisbane. We loved bullimba area and stayed with friends in but burleigh heads which was fab too. Family life was fantastic- lots of clean parks with no rubish or dog dirt! Petrol is cheaper too. Job situation was ok and wages double what we are on here but there were a couple of things that surprised us. It does get dark earlier than uk all year round so I found people tend to get up earlier to make the most of daylight - something to adjust to so not too bad. Rental prices for accommodation were 46% of hubby's income compared to 21% of current mortgage- very expensive! Food costs are higher but we worked out only £30 per week more which was acceptable.

Overall for us ( with a 2 year old) we found cost of living cancelled out any higher wages so we have decided not to go ahead with a move. With higher childcade costs we found we would not be any better off and realised we would miss family too much. We are going to settle with a holiday there every few years to visit my brother in Sydney and possible wait till children are older do less child care costs and re-evaluate. Hope everyone else gets to where they want to be! Good luck x

Hi Fliss and Greg i like your thinking this is a good post we should be over there end of 2014 and hoping to make friends asap as it will just be the three of us no family in oz. my wife is a nurse and i am an electrician from Glasgow we have a 5 month old son we have our P.R visas and are going out on the 26th of sep to get them validated and do a bit of a reccie for 3 weeks.Have yous been to Brisbane before.

Hope to her from you soon

Tony and Emma

Hi all,

I'm a 27 year old woman from Essex/London moving to Brisbane area in early 2014. My partner is Aussie and currently lives in Seventeen Mile Rocks so we will be probably looking to live South of Brisbane possibly about half way between Bris and Gold Coast.

Hope to chat with some of you :)

Jo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Me and my partner are both in our late twenties, no children and not married yet. I am nurse and my partner is an aircraft maintenance engineer. We are hoping to re locate to Brisbane at the end of this year/beginning of 2014 so will be looking for new friends too! Be good to arrange a meet up when everyone is settled :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, scottish couple here heading to Brisbane area in Feb, great to see others taking the plunge here. My partner is an Oz resident with her twin residing in QLD and i am a Gas Engineer going over on the working holiday visa until i can sort out a partner visa. Cant wait!

Hi All, just a quick message to let you know about a couple of great websites Ive found..Meet Ups is a great site where you can literally meet up with people in and around the Brisbane area similar to our selves. The groups are often themed or just simply lets meet in a pub?! Ive signed up and recieve regular alerts and invites to "meet up" and I'm sure will be taking full advantage when we move over....see you all there!!

Also (I'm sure you might be already be aware of this one...) Bobin oz is a great site, whereby expat Bob posts blogs and links and even has a great E - book that you can download for free "20 reasons to move to Australia". Bob is also based nr Brisbane so his info is relevant and current to us all that are headed in that direction...Check out the site. :laugh: