Nice Areas of Brisbane ?

Blewyn

Moving to Brisbane with my wife. No need to commute into town, but would be good to be not too far so that town centre / shopping areas etc could be visited routinely as opposed to weekends only (or is it better to be closer to the wild for getting out and about ?). Which areas do you recommend ? We'd like to live in a smallish house with garden and pool etc, but wondering about taking an apartment in centre to get to know the area for 1st year. Any areas to avoid ? (flood-prone etc..)

Depends what you mean by "not too far" really.

We are around 35 minutes or so north (out of peak traffic) around Albany Creek/Eatons Hill which are nice areas.

It's easy to get up to the Sunshine coast, over to Bribie etc, or down to the city or Gold coast if needed.

I suspect that you'd want to be closer than we are though but we have lots of shopping malls within a 20 minute drive like Chermside and Strathpine.

Have a google and you will find all the flood maps - and find which areas/streets are prone. Most areas have some creeks and rivers so it's hard to say an area to avoid/go for.

What do you enjoy doing? Do you have to be near anything in particular for work or any other reason?

What do you enjoy doing? Do you have to be near anything in particular for work or any other reason?

No we can work from anywhere right now. We enjoy sailing, running, swimming, hiking (short afternoon hikes etc especially), biking, 4x4 expeditions, diving, camping and bit of climbing etc. For towny stuff we like good restaurants with a vibe, lively shopping etc.

Living in a villagey suburb with its own shops/cafes...perhaps a park etc would be cool ! A safe area for my wife to run and bike...?

Any ideas ?

Have a look at Springifeld Lakes.

It has smaller houses on smaller low maintaince plots, village type pub and shops / take aways, yet big shopping plaza across the road with banks etc. Not too far from the city and also easy access to the rural areas out via Ipswich for 4wding.. Lots of cycle tracks focused around the Lake so overall not a bad area and ticks most of your boxes..

Cal x

If you're not tied to the city for work, then I'd consider living about 90 mins drive from Brisbane. Sunshine coast hinterland, for example. You get much more for your money, and they've also got as many shops as you need for day to day stuff. Then go once a month into Brissie for speciality items, or shopping for clothes/new mountain bike etc. With the money you save on rent, you could even treat yourself to a weekend in a hotel in the city centre once in a while.

As for short hikes in the afternoon, Glasshouse Mountains are nice.

Best thing to do is get soemwhere temporary, have a look around and decide from there.

No we can work from anywhere right now. We enjoy sailing, running, swimming, hiking (short afternoon hikes etc especially), biking, 4x4 expeditions, diving, camping and bit of climbing etc. For towny stuff we like good restaurants with a vibe, lively shopping etc.

Living in a villagey suburb with its own shops/cafes...perhaps a park etc would be cool ! A safe area for my wife to run and bike...?

Any ideas ?

Some of your interests would be well suited to New Farm / West End / Bulimba type areas. Can be expensive though. The outdoor stuff you mentioned would suit one of the bayside suburbs like Sandgate / Redcliffe on the north side & Manly or cleveland on the south side.

I would second Redcliffe - we would move there but for my reliance on public transport! For beaches close to Brisbane and value for rental/house prices it's pretty good :o)

Btw we live in Chermside partly for transport convenience. It's nice but would not beachy or hikey!

Any ideas ?

Wow, you guys are active!! sounds like you'll fit perfectly into Australian life.. good luck finding a place to live.. interesting to read this thread as we are hoping to move to Brisbane too.

• 2 months later...

So been here 2 weeks now, and it seems pretty much most places tick my boxes !! Makes it hard to choose .... Went down to Ipswich for the V8 races, ran with the Halfway Hash, did the Brisbane Running Festival 10k, drank a gluten free beer (hallelujah !). This place ROCKS. Now out in the back drilling holes near Roma, which also rocks :-)

Guest guest36187

If you are not tied to Brissie for work, get out a bit to Glasshouse Mountains territory! Beautiful houses, beautiful views, still close enough to Mooloolabah for the beach.

Im near Alaska in Eatons Hill. I moved frmo Brissies western suburbs and have to say, best move I ever made!!!! We are closer to Sunny Coast, my parents, still close enough to get into the city by bus/train if needed. As Alaska says we have everything here that we need.

All depends on how much you want to spend, what you want, lifestyle, etc etc

Internet should be your bestest friends...research everything!

Time to hire a car and go see these places....My wife is planning to study at QUT though so may be confined to central Brissie for 1st year...

Toowong might be worth considering:

- on the bicentennial bikeway (or jogging) path that runs along the river into the CBD (and QUT).

- has it's own little centre with shops/cafe's/pubs

- train to CBD around 10 mins

- right next to Mt Coot-tha for hikes, mountain and road bike riding etc

- access to bike path down the western freeway

- citycat ferry stop to get you to most of brisbane's best spots

- two stops on train to Indooroopilly (large shopping mall).

- mix of busy and quiet area's so you can take your pick

For car transport you might also consider this: http://www.goget.com.au/

Edited by fish.01

"Lake" ? Magic word !!! Is the lake swimmable etc ? Do people sail there ? No crocs ?

LOL, No crocs ,so your safe,,lol.. They do canoeing and stuff on the lake if thats any help but i havent seen people swimming,, on saying that their new mini water park is across the road so great for cooling down on a hot day.

Cal x

I live in Toowong and it is so handy for getting around. I didn't know that QUT had anything out near Kenmore Hills. The traffic getting into central Brisbane from that area is horrific and why we haven't gone further out.

Oops my mistake I meant Kelvin Grove.....

Is that a nice area ?

LOL, No crocs ,so your safe,,lol.. They do canoeing and stuff on the lake if thats any help but i havent seen people swimming,, on saying that their new mini water park is across the road so great for cooling down on a hot day.

Cal x

Haha yeah thanks I realised swimming was out as soon as I saw the current in the river, and heard about the Bull Sharks.......Not sure I need to kayak THAT much....

Haha yeah thanks I realised swimming was out as soon as I saw the current in the river, and heard about the Bull Sharks.......Not sure I need to kayak THAT much....

My eldest daughter rows for her school in the Brisbane River and at first she was terrified of the Bull Sharks but now doesn't give it a second thought. Someone always seems to be falling out of the boats from the schools... especially when the City Cat drivers like to create a wash to knock them over.

• 2 weeks later...
Oops my mistake I meant Kelvin Grove.....

Is that a nice area ?

We are in Newmarket near Kelvin Grove, great location - close to city and great transport links and an hour or so in either direction to Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast but beaches such as Redcliffe not far either. Absolutely love where we are as there is always so much happening in the city and nearby suburbs.

• 5 weeks later...