Ielts

Keira huggins

What has been your experience of this test?

we have started to ask our migration agent about PR. they have given us a whole heap of information.

they have told us that my husband is currently sat on 60 points should he get an 8 on the IELTS test gaining a further 5 points on state sponsorship giving us the necessary 65 points to be eligible.

just exactly how hard is this test. My husband is a telecommunications manager and has been out of full time education for a long time.

Is this test something which he needs to revise for, I have visited the website and see the example papers but it does seem a little extreme that you would drop points on something as little as missing a grammatical or punctuation error.

Any help would be much appreciated

keira

p.s

dont read anything into lack of punctuation, grammer etc........it's been a hell of a week:mad::mad:

hi Kiera,

i sat the test last august. its a full day of a job and you come out with your head spinning. The test is straightforward and explained on the day really well. The first part was a listening test and you answered questions and filled in the blanks whilst a cd was played with the information. It was a conversation of two people...one person was ringing to enquire about renting a flat. That was pretty basic stuff. The reading one is similar to a comprehension test you'd do at school. A long article to read and loads of questions to answer. The writing one was a letter stating your point of view on a topic and another writing piece where you had to interpret information from a graph and write 100+ words on your findings. The speaking one was strange....a bit like an interview but the questions were along the lines of.......tell me your favourite colour, tell me about your family, all basic questions. Then you have to speak about something for a couple of minutes. I had to talk about a family trip that I'd been on that I'd enjoyed.

Some people I met on the day were there to resit which worried me. I got 9's for 3 of them but 7.5 on the reading. It was an article on underwater mining in Australia, I struggled on that. You have to pass each section. The examples on the IELTS website are spot on so you won't be surprised on the day!

I took the test because I was getting conflicting info on whether I needed it or not for nurse registration over there. Get practising and good luck! Hope this helps

Joanne