Non skilled-is it easy to find jobs in Perth/Mandurah areas?

bennyboy

Hi to all,

Would anyone like to comment about finding jobs if your not a skilled worker?

Husband in Motorcycle Trade for 20 years (parts Manager)

I have been in Medical for along time, Private and NHS, Admin and Clerical.

Also worked in retail (supermarkets), waitressing, but would try anything, (within reason) as long as it pays the bills.

It is a big concern of ours as we will be bringing a certain amount of money with us (or transfer it), so don't want to run out of money and then start to panick if we havent found jobs.

Shall we bring our CV's with us to show to employers?

Is it best to find jobs through agencies, newspapers etc... or through friends and family?:arghh:

We would ideally like to find permanent jobs and don't mind a bit of travelling.

I would like to find a job in a Private Hospital or medical centre or something along those lines. I currently work in a private hospital in UK.

Should we ask our current employers for references (and character) and take them with us?

Look forward to hearing from anyone.:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bennyboy

We moved to Mandurah approx 3 weeks ago and I was fortunate that I had work lined up before I left the UK. However, looking through the local papers there are pages and pages of jobs that are available.

If you are willing to work you will find jobs.

My Husband has been applying for jobs through the papers, websites, handing in C.V. etc and has been already offered 3 jobs. So if you are determined you will find work.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

Sharon and Carl

Hi Sharon and Carl,

Thank you for responding to my comments. I would like to know how you go about having jobs already lined up? How is that possible when your in a different country etc..... Hopeless arn't I ! lol!

My brother lives in Lakelands and my other brother lives in Singleton. They both (and there wives all have jobs too) but 2 are skilled workers (it took them about 6 weeks to find work) one of my brothers works for Telstrar (worked for BT in UK) and his wife in Private Hospital in Mandurah (Doc surgery in UK). Surely we wont struggle? Look forward to hearing from you again. Cheers!:cool:

Hi to all,

Would anyone like to comment about finding jobs if your not a skilled worker?

Husband in Motorcycle Trade for 20 years (parts Manager)

I have been in Medical for along time, Private and NHS, Admin and Clerical.

Also worked in retail (supermarkets), waitressing, but would try anything, (within reason) as long as it pays the bills.

It is a big concern of ours as we will be bringing a certain amount of money with us (or transfer it), so don't want to run out of money and then start to panick if we havent found jobs.

Shall we bring our CV's with us to show to employers?

Is it best to find jobs through agencies, newspapers etc... or through friends and family?:arghh:

We would ideally like to find permanent jobs and don't mind a bit of travelling.

I would like to find a job in a Private Hospital or medical centre or something along those lines. I currently work in a private hospital in UK.

Should we ask our current employers for references (and character) and take them with us?

Look forward to hearing from anyone.:biggrin:

hi this may sound a bit of a stupid question ...but ...what visa are u comin on ....presuming its not permanent cause u say non skilled and if it was 457 u would have a job to go 2 ...which leads me to think whmv ...in which case u will only be allowed to work 6 months with the one employer anyway ...in regards to bringing cvs ..thats a definite yes as u cant get any job over here without one lol ...unless u want to do casual or fruit picking etc ....there are heaps of jobs in the paper [west] on a saturday ...but a little tip is u buy it as soon as the shops are open in the morn lol ...what we have found since being over here [18 months] its not what u know but who u know ...but im sure with the experience u and o/h have u will have no probs in finding work

mrs keily

sorry havin reread ur post ..realise ur probably a bit 2 old for whmv ...lol ...state sponsorship ..perhaps ?

Hi keily

Thanks for your message. My husband is applying for a spouse visa. I am a Citizen (born in Perth) and my children, 6, 19 and 21, are Citizens by descent.

I have lived in Uk since Nov 1981 (not through choice) and i arrived in Perth last Nov for my first holiday with my husband and children. I stayed for 3 weeks and it felt like home without a doubt, so that's why we are making the move!!!! I hope it all works out for us and we are planning to do the move Sept 2011.

Thanks for your advice, i really appreciate it.

Cheers.:biggrin:

Hi we are just north of Mandurah and we love it, its brilliant. I have not yet looked for a position for myself but non of my friends seem to have had a problem.

We love it here and really do and if I were you I would start sending you cv out to perspective employers before you leave and make sure they know the date you are due to land and how soon you can start work.

Good luck with your move and welcome back "home":wubclub:

Hi Bennyboy,

Our process was a lengthy one and we changed our options of visa when we realised that we had a very long wait with our orginal route of Regional State Sponsorship.

I came over to Aussie in March 2010 and applied for jobs the usual way but was stating that I would require a sponsorship from the employer on a 457. I was extremely lucky that I was successful and then went home and started the process of applying for visa's etc. We didnt do this on our own and had the experience of a agent (John Mumford) From Visa Unit, based in Hove, Sussex.

Anyway, we thought things would take a while and by the time I had negioated contracts, money and hours with my prospective employer we eventually lodged our application in August 2010. This took approx 4 weeks to process. And then I had a start date of 13 Sept for work.

Our initial 457 was only for one month and we are now on a bridging visa waiting for DIAC to process our Employer Nomination Sponsorship (856 ENS),. This has been estimated that it is going to take approx 5 months as we are onshore, so apparently is a quicker process as we are already living here. Once this has been completed we are permanent residents.

We are now living in Lakelands, with my parents, looking to move to Waikiki in the next few months. Our boys 12, and 14 start school on Monday, which is a private school and costing us $4k each per year.

So we are now living the dream. My hubbie took approx 4 weeks to get a job, but that was taking his time and only really looking in the last 2 weeks.

We class ourselves to be very lucky and realise that to do this you need to know everything there is to know about visa's as they change so often and times frames always get longer.

We would just like to take this opportunity to recommend John Mumford as an Agent.

Kind thougths

Sharon n Carl.

Guest Bob Tonnor

Hi bennyboy

I just did a quick search, these are just the jobs for the Dale and central west areas, this takes in Mandurah, Coolup, Secret Harbour and Fremantle, https://jobsearch.gov.au/findajob/selectoccupation.aspx?LocationCode=81194CWM,81194DAL, . The jobsearch site is a government site, but there are far more private sites out there. This might help, Location Lowdown | Mandurah WA Australia Real Estate | Mandurah WA Australia Immigration | Mandurah WA Australia Relocation. Id definately bring your CV, they call it a resume over here. I really dont think you have too much to worry about work wise, in fact i think your probably in a good position because you arent nailed down to one area just yet because like you have said your more than willing to move.

Good luck

bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, We live in Meadow Springs, inbetween Lakelands & Mandurah. We have to free papers a week of which there are always lots of health care jobs in. Also, the west australian, ( newspaper has lots of jobs in) have seen quite a few for motorcycle mechanics, & they are online too. www.thewest.com.au also www.westjobs.com.au or www.seek.com.au , we found those to be the best ones. Fetch your CVs with you & get references done to fetch with you too. Good luck & hope you get sorted. X X

• 2 weeks later...
Guest strangest

Hi bennyboy. Why don't you simply cut out the job bit . . . .and become self-employed. There are literally hundreds of opportunities in the land of Oz for those with foresight.

Remember, over a million ex-pat brits live there. Surely you can think of a business line to tie in with that. If you need any help, let me know. I have several highly unusual, yet excellent opportunistic ideas.

Archived