Australian Citizen by birth

Guest bfonseca3

Guest bfonseca3

HI, I have a question for the PR's here. If I am permanent resident and have a baby in Australia, by son will be citizen by birth, would I able to request my own citizenship before the 4 years residence due so ? (I am a father of a australian citizen)

Guest Guest31881
HI, I have a question for the PR's here. If I am permanent resident and have a baby in Australia, by son will be citizen by birth, would I able to request my own citizenship before the 4 years residence due so ? (I am a father of a australian citizen)

I believe that a child born in Australia takes on the visa conditions of the parents, The baby is not an Australian citizen unless the parents are already citizens. The baby will have an Australian birth certificate but retains the citizenship of the parents. Being born in Australia does not automatically give you citizenship.

I am sure someone who has had this happen will have a definative answer but this is the impression I am under.

Guest proud2beaussie

A baby born in Australia to a permanent resident would be entitled to citizenship.

Australian citizen by birth

Whether you are an Australian citizen by birth depends on the date of your birth.

Most children born in Australia before 20 August 1986 are Australian citizens by birth unless one parent was entitled to diplomatic privileges or was a consular officer of another country.

Children born after that date are only Australian citizens if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of their birth.

Children born in Australia to parents who are not Australian citizens or permanent residents, automatically acquire Australian citizenship on their 10th birthday if they have lived most of their life in Australia.

but as far as I am aware citizenship can only pass downwards and therefore the answer to your question is no,you would still be required to pass the residence requirements.

You can use the citizenship wizard at Australian Citizenship Wizard

to calculate the first date you would be eligible for citizenship.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest soon2move

Can you help with this at all?

We've both got PR and am due to give birth soon. Do I need to get the baby on the visa first (immi told us to let them know when babys born) and then register the birth, or do I register the birth before we tell immi? Am worried wont be able to register the birth without the PR docs.

Any advice would be welcome if you know anything.

Thanks

Guest syncsam
Can you help with this at all?

We've both got PR and am due to give birth soon. Do I need to get the baby on the visa first (immi told us to let them know when babys born) and then register the birth, or do I register the birth before we tell immi? Am worried wont be able to register the birth without the PR docs.

Any advice would be welcome if you know anything.

Thanks

If you give birth in Australia, your baby is Australian citizen by birth.

If your give birth oversea, then the baby will need a visa. You can only include the baby in your visa after the baby is born.

Guest aus404

We had a baby in oz, while permanent residents and he has an australian passport.

If you are in country and have PR then the child will be a citizen.

Once you have been living in the country as a PR for a few years you can apply for citizenship.

Guest proud2beaussie
If you give birth in Australia, your baby is Australian citizen by birth.

Just to reiterate the point made above-a baby born in Australia is not AUTOMATICALLY an Australian citizen,this only applies if at least one of the parents has PR,otherwise the baby would be entitled to

the same sort of visa as the parents,so for example if a couple who were here on a temporary 457 visa had a child in Australia then that child would only be entitled to the same visa,if the parents had PR then the child is entitled to citizenship.

Archived