Buying A Car - Rego, Insurance etc???

xTINKSx

Hi,

We have recently started looking at buying a car in Queensland as we have been hiring one up to now. Im a little confused about rego, insurance, MOT??.

At this stage we still havent got our licences exchanged for Qld ones - is this a problem? I have seen a lot of vehicles advertised as having rego??? what does this mean? Also what is their equivalent to a MOT? Do vehicles come with a log book as in the UK? If anyone can give me an idiots guide to buying, registering, insuring vehicles in Qld and anything else I might need to know, then theres a Tim Tam in it for ya??

xTinksx :err:

Guest ABCDiamond
Hi,

We have recently started looking at buying a car in Queensland as we have been hiring one up to now. Im a little confused about rego, insurance, MOT??.

At this stage we still havent got our licences exchanged for Qld ones - is this a problem? I have seen a lot of vehicles advertised as having rego??? what does this mean? Also what is their equivalent to a MOT? Do vehicles come with a log book as in the UK? If anyone can give me an idiots guide to buying, registering, insuring vehicles in Qld and anything else I might need to know, then theres a Tim Tam in it for ya??

xTinksx :err:

MOT = there isn't an annual one, in QLD, you only need one when the car is sold, and is called a Vehicle Roadworthy Certificate.

REGO = Annual registration. All vehicles need to be registered annually, in the same way as British vehicles have to pay for Road Fund Licence.

Here it is called registration or REGO.

CTP = Third Party Insurance (CTP) is compulsory in Australia, and to ensure it is taken out, you MUST pay the premium at the same time as the annual rego fee for the vehicle.

This CTP is NOT the same as the normal British Third Party Insurance. For that you need an additional cover such as (at least in my opinion) Third Party Property Damage.

Driving Licence - A Permanent Resident is normally allowed to drive for 3 months before needing an Australian Licence, after that period they would be classed as driving without a valid licence.

Our recent Annual Rego and CTP cost was:

$218.55 Rego

$ 44.45 Traffic Improvement Fee

$308.00 CTP

Then we paid $525 for fully comp insurance

thanks guys, really helpful. One thing - the rego - if the vehicle comes with rego do I still have to register it in my name?? or wait till it runs out and then register it?? im not sure if im asking a really stupid question here. lol

Hiya Tinks, If I were you I would pop into your local RACQ they are in most of the shopping malls, and ask them all your questions you will find them to be really helpful. Also if I were you I would go and get your licence changed over it makes everything else so much easier and most forms of ID you need your licence.

Good luck

Just sold one and bought another one so I'm an expert now!. Haha. Yes you have to register it so that the renewal comes to you and also any parking/speeding tickets. You have to do this within 14 days of sale. To transfer you pay $20.40 plus stamp duty (stamp duty is 3% of sale price on a 4cylinder car) and can be done at the local QLD transport office.

Guest ABCDiamond
You have to do this within 14 days of sale. To transfer you pay $20.40 plus stamp duty (stamp duty is 3% of sale price on a 4cylinder car) and can be done at the local QLD transport office.

or 3.5% for 6 Cylinder cars and 4% for 8 Cylinder.

Only 2% for hybrid or Electric cars.

Guest dpm31567

make sure before you buy you get a revs check,cars with finance on them can be repo,d

even from a private buyer not like in the uk

and if your spending alot join racq and get a vehicle inspection

its a good time to buy at the minute as 08 runouts are still about,and the dealers are struggling so as in the life of brian "you gotta aggle" squeeze em hard they,re weak right now so bargains to be had

as in the life of brian "you gotta aggle" squeeze em hard they,re weak right now so bargains to be had

My favourite film of all time..... "my names Brian and so's my wife". lol

Thanks for your advise people.

Tinks

Archived