457 Visa - Medical Costs - Who Pays?

jakc

Landed a job in Melbourne with a 457 visa with a respectable International company.

I opted out of the relocation package as it meant a reduced salary.

However, I am not getting the best first impressions from them.

In my contract (which I have signed and sent there was no mention of the visa costs, however the company have paid a migration agent who has just lodged my application with Sydney Immigration.

I paid £200 (standard fee I believe) for both myself and my partner and the courier costs for medical chest x-rays. I was hoping to be reimbursed these costs.

I quote from one of his emails I received after he had received my contract:

"With regards to visa costs they will be covered by XXXX. We will

also instruct our Migration Agents to apply for a visa for your partner at

our expense and your partner will have unrestricted work rights while you

are employed with XXX

So I emailed him after my medical to ask if I would be reimbursed my medical costs to which he responded:

In relation to your questions below, we do not have a practice of reimbursing personal medical costs for X-rays etc.
What would you advise? Bare in mind I think this will be my future boss so not sure if I want to already get on his bad side but at the same time Id like to challenge it just for the principle that I think Im in the right?

Its not about the money, its more the principle - im just beginning to get the feeling that they arent treating me quite as nicely as I was hoping.

Would be interested to hear your opinions and if other people on 457 visas dealt with medical expenses.

Landed a job in Melbourne with a 457 visa with a respectable International company.

In my contract (which I have signed and sent there was no mention of the visa costs, however the company have paid a migration agent who has just lodged my application with Sydney Immigration.

I paid £200 (standard fee I believe) for both myself and my partner and the courier costs for medical chest x-rays. I was hoping to be reimbursed these costs.

So I emailed him after my medical to ask if I would be reimbursed my medical costs to which he responded:

What would you advise? Bare in mind I think this will be my future boss so not sure if I want to already get on his bad side but at the same time Id like to challenge it just for the principle that I think Im in the right?

Its not about the money, its more the principle - im just beginning to get the feeling that they arent treating me quite as nicely as I was hoping.

Would be interested to hear your opinions and if other people on 457 visas dealt with medical expenses.

Your oh goes on your visa anyway so thats BS talking about payin for her visa

Mally

We've got a 457 visa and we paid for our medicals and xrays. There is 6 of us on one application - only paid one fee for the visa application - Yorkshire Pom is correct - they didnt pay any extra to have her included on it. We did not receive a relocation package - we have swallowed all the fees.

Was it ever mentioned specifically that they would cover medical costs - or just visa costs?

the only evidence I have of the visa costs are in that quote "With regards to visa costs they will be covered"

I suspect it means literally that - "visa costs will be covered". Did you no that you and your partner had to have xrays? Did you assume xrays were to be included when you signed the contract? In hindsight perhaps you should have checked before to clarify. Sorry but I think you have to swallow it. I dont think your employer was deliberately trying to confuse you - it does what it says on the tin so to speak - visa costs will be covered.

If you feel a little awkard about the situation, maybe send a lightheated email to your employer explaining your confusion, im sure it will be forgotten about in a blink of an eye.

Good Luck.

xTinksx

i think ill just leave it at that.

The emails have not been tense, ive just copied quotes from them - other than that they are very friendly. Thanks for the advice, im glad I didnt hastily reply asking again for the reimbursement.

Guest sarahjustwishing

Hi,

My hubby and I are going to Perth on a 457 sponsored visa, company have paid for everything APART from medicals (theres 4 of us), I think this is standard practice, although I may be wrong! We were just appreciative that they'd sorted the visa, whereas if we'd have gone on a 175 or any other independant visa we'd have been paying £2000 plus.

Sarah

Hi,

My hubby and I are going to Perth on a 457 sponsored visa, company have paid for everything APART from medicals (theres 4 of us), I think this is standard practice, although I may be wrong! We were just appreciative that they'd sorted the visa, whereas if we'd have gone on a 175 or any other independant visa we'd have been paying £2000 plus.

Sarah

Youll still have to pay for a pr visa or are you intending to return after 4 years or if the company cuts ties

Mally

Guest prettyinpink

We got a very standard relocation package, but it was our ticket out here. We had our visa cost paid, but we paid removals, air fare and medicals.

I've not known anyone to have their medicals paid for them, but that's not to say it hasn't happened.

ALthough your application covers all your depepndants (children and spouse), they will have seperate visa grant numbers once have confirmation of your visa. On a 457 you have restrictions on who you can work for (i.e. only the sponsoring company) but your spouse can work for whom she wants with no restriction on hours she may work too.

On this note can some one confirm something looking back on lots of threads re medicals on 457's

Some state they had full medicals some just chest x-rays can you tell me what the correct route is here. Obviously I presume that if you are a nurse or a teacher on a 457 you would need a full medical due to the nature of the job but..............

Guest prettyinpink
On this note can some one confirm something looking back on lots of threads re medicals on 457's

Some state they had full medicals some just chest x-rays can you tell me what the correct route is here. Obviously I presume that if you are a nurse or a teacher on a 457 you would need a full medical due to the nature of the job but..............

If you are over the age of 11 (I think) you have a chest X-ray. If you intend to spend time in a classroom, hospital, dentist etc you need a full medical. As I work in a school I had both, but my hubby who works in an office had the x-ray only.

I'm sure there is some definitive guideline as to what specific professions need the medicals, perhaps someone else will be able to provide this.

Guest gilbert and sullivan
If you are over the age of 11 (I think) you have a chest X-ray. If you intend to spend time in a classroom, hospital, dentist etc you need a full medical. As I work in a school I had both, but my hubby who works in an office had the x-ray only.

I'm sure there is some definitive guideline as to what specific professions need the medicals, perhaps someone else will be able to provide this.

Hi there

I am a nurse and my partner works in IT. We are planning on going to Perth on a 457 visa, me being the main visa holder. Basically from what I gather I will require a full medical where as my partner will probably only need the chest xray. Can someone who has already had it tell me what the 'full medical' involves? and also where do you go to get it done? I am doing the move through an agency so they will probably inform when the time is nearer, but would be good to know what to expect in advance.

Cheers guys.

Hi all

We have ours today with HSA in oz. My CO told me yest that full meds required for those who have a pre-existing medical condition so may need for that too.

I think they decide and tell u if u need just chest xray or full.

In the UK you visit a panel dr from the list below if you are in oz ur nearest HSA

United Kingdom - Panel Doctors

If you search on here for medicals you can read what some people have experienced or not as the case may be!

fingers crossed :)

Guest prettyinpink
Hi there

I am a nurse and my partner works in IT. We are planning on going to Perth on a 457 visa, me being the main visa holder. Basically from what I gather I will require a full medical where as my partner will probably only need the chest xray. Can someone who has already had it tell me what the 'full medical' involves? and also where do you go to get it done? I am doing the move through an agency so they will probably inform when the time is nearer, but would be good to know what to expect in advance.

Cheers guys.

Hiya guys

The full medical consists of checking things like eyesight, ears, height and weight, blood pressure, for women we go into a cubicle and strip with just our underwear on. The doc then checks our spine, abdomen, joint movement ...... basically a lot of prodding around but it's not invasive and very professional. I was really worried about mine but I needn't have been. I think in some circumstances blood is taken for checking, but I didn't needs the bloods done. Also everyone gives a urine sample, regardless of whether they have the x ray or medical.

Follow this link for a list of panel doctors in the UK.

United Kingdom - Panel Doctors

Hope that helps.

Guest prettyinpink
Thanks for that I presumed same it depends on the job you would be taking. Look forward to someone coming along and confirm the professions that need medicals

I found this information on the immigration website;

You will need to undertake a health examination if:

• you are likely to enter a hospital or other health care environment, including nursing homes as either a patient, visitor, trainee or employee

• you are likely to enter a classroom environment, including preschool, crèche and child care situations

• you are known or suspected of having a medical condition, regardless of your length of stay

• you are aged 70 years or older

• there are indications that you may not meet the health requirement.

This is the link to that particular page for more information

Health Requirements for Visa Applicants

Guest gilbert and sullivan

Thanks Very much Pretty in Pink that has been really helpful, I didnt realise it consisted of so much, i think I have to have the bloods as well as ill be working in a hospital.

Cheers

Archived