What is the highest the AUD/GBP exchange rate has ever been?

We are gutted that we have absolutely no funds at the moment when the exchange rate is so high....

We are just wondering if this is a complete one off or is it likely to be this high again in the next few months? We are waiting for the visa to be granted before selling our house (sorry, TRYING to sell our house) and exchange our money into AUD....

Everything always seem j-u-u-u-u-s-t out of reach throughout this whole process!!! :arghh:

Guest Rob&Ani
We are gutted that we have absolutely no funds at the moment when the exchange rate is so high....

We are just wondering if this is a complete one off or is it likely to be this high again in the next few months? We are waiting for the visa to be granted before selling our house (sorry, TRYING to sell our house) and exchange our money into AUD....

Everything always seem j-u-u-u-u-s-t out of reach throughout this whole process!!! :arghh:

Hi,

If it helps we know exactly how you feel regarding the process. Just keep in there, you will succeed so long as you keep in mind your dreams.

Exchange rates - ok please realise we're not financial advisors. Thing is, everything looks good at the moment because the ex rate has been so LOW for about a year until recently. It got down to $2.05 per quid when we went on a reccie to AU in April - we were gutted. Recent high, I think it went up to about $2.68 per quid for perhaps a day. My opinion - its now stabilised back to its historic value of about $2.4. Look this is only my opinion but I think you'll be ok. One way you could secure a good present deal is by arranging a forward contract with a foreign exchange broker, but you probably need a 10% deposit to form the deal. We recently used Moneycorp - it was very straightforward. Hopefully, everything will be ok when we transfer the main block of money when we move.

Anyway, best of good luck - hope the above helps, you WILL be fine.

Rob & Ani

Well in 2001 it did get up to 33p to the $ (3.0 $ to the L) but usually it has hovered around the 2.4 level for the past few years - the highest the $ has been against the L was 78 p to the $ in 1976 (amazing what you can find on Google - the Reserve Bank of Aus has a table of historical monthly rates) but it wasnt floated until 1983 when it stopped being pegged to any particular currency. As one who usually needs to move money in the opposite direction, I was thrilled by the July exchange rate I must admit.

As one who usually needs to move money in the opposite direction, I was thrilled by the July exchange rate I must admit.

Yep, so was I.

Its all swings and roundabouts eventually.

• 4 months later...

Yahoo have a currency converter that can give you the last 5 year rices of the Ozzie Dollar to the pound. I know that I have seen a 10 year one but I'm bu~#ered if I can remember where.

I was in Oz in 02/03 and it was high then at about $2.50 ish and went down after we got there. I plan to move in a couple of years and hopefully the pound will have recovered. Especially if you're selling in a crappy market. Hoefully the Ozzy property market is gonna go south a bit as well as otherwise I'll get a slum over there just like my hovel here!

Archived