Best State Schools in Perth

Hi,

I read a great post on here where someone had taken the league table of 'best' schools in Perth & indicated which were state schools but however I try to find it I can't.

Does anyone else remember the post or could anyone else oblige?

Thanks

Jules

Hi,

I read a great post on here where someone had taken the league table of 'best' schools in Perth & indicated which were state schools but however I try to find it I can't.

Does anyone else remember the post or could anyone else oblige?

Thanks

Jules

I don't know the league table you speak of but in no particular order the best state schools are:

Shenton College

Churchlands

Rossmoyne

Willeton

Some others that are just behind Duncraig, Carine, Woodvale.

• 1 year later...

Hi - I've just picked up this thread.

We're hopefully going to moving across around Jan/Feb time (house sale dependent) and I guess it seems kind of real now for us all. We've not yet decided on where we're moving to, but plan to do a reccie of a shortlist of suburbs we've put together both SOR and NOR.

We've got two girls aged 14 and 8 and whilst have been reading that the primary schools are good, noticed that not everyone feels the same about the high schools. If anyone can share any info on good high schools in any suburbs, we'd be really grateful. I was also wondering if the schools have intake/catchment areas the same as here in the UK.

Denise x

• 2 weeks later...
You have to live in the catchment area to get into Rossmoyne - I'm not sure about the others. Willeton runs a basketball programme. Leeming SHS has an excellent Academic Extension Programme (they're the 3 in my area)

Ali

Ali is right - you do have to be in the catchment area for Rossmoyne. You also have to be for Willetton, unless you can get in under one of their programs. As was said, Willetton runs a basketball program, but it also is a GATE school (gifted and talented education) so if you can get into that, you can go there too.

I went to Willetton myself, and live in Bayswater (NOR, near the airport). Took me an hour each way on the bus, but it was really worth it.

Willetton and Rossmoyne are great schools, so is Shenton. Churclands is good too, and it is now the music school. I would also think about Applecross and Leeming too.

I would say one of the good things about Willetton and Rossmoyne is that they are big schools - which means that students have a lot more choices in the subjects they want to study in upper school - and they don't have to choose from certain subjects that run on a grid line, like smaller schools do.

Also in recent years (and don't forget, that yr 11 and 12 has just changed here in wa) some schools couldnt run things like english literature and calculus because they didn't have the numbers. There aren't problems like that at these schools.

Look up each of the schools on the web, and see what you think.

I am about to finish my degree in teaching, and have been to a fair few schools now (all sorts), so if you want any advice, just let me know (i hope i don't sound like a know-it-all, i'd just like to help if i can :cute:)

Klasey

Guest migration angel

Hi Jules,

Based on last years TEE results here are the rankings.

Top Ten Government Schools

Shenton College

Rossmoyne Senior High School

Perth Modern School

Willeton Senior High School

Churchlands Senior High School

Manjimup Senior High School

Kelmscott Senior High School

Applecross Senior High School

Margaret River Senior High School

Carine Senior High School

If you want to check out other schools in Perth and around the country here is the link.

Good Schools | Migration Angel

Lots of kids catch the train from Freo to Shenton College if they have been able to qualify for the academic talent program (out of catchment students are eligible for this).

Hope that helps.

PM me if you need any more info.

Guest migration angel

Hi Denise,

A lot will depend on your budget to buy/rent.

Many of the best state (government) schools are in affluent areasand you need to live in the catchment to attend.

There are also gifted and talented programs in many of the top schools here.

So if your children are academically able they might be eligible for one of these places.

Here is the link for more info on this The Department of Education - Gifted and Talented - Main

Many people choose to educate privately, the fees can vary from $3,500 to $16,000 per year and there are usually waiting lists and/or religious affilations.

PM me if you need any more info on specific schools/areas.

• 3 months later...
Hi Jules,

Based on last years TEE results here are the rankings.

Top Ten Government Schools

Shenton College

Rossmoyne Senior High School

Perth Modern School

Willeton Senior High School

Churchlands Senior High School

Manjimup Senior High School

Kelmscott Senior High School

Applecross Senior High School

Margaret River Senior High School

Carine Senior High School

If you want to check out other schools in Perth and around the country here is the link.

Good Schools | Migration Angel

Lots of kids catch the train from Freo to Shenton College if they have been able to qualify for the academic talent program (out of catchment students are eligible for this).

Hope that helps.

PM me if you need any more info.

We were thinking of moving NOR and hoping to get my daughter on the GATE programme. If we lived in Northern Suburbs which of the above schools are closest. Are they too far from areas like Ocean Reef?

I can tell you which ones are Sor:

Rossmoyne, Willeton, Applecross, Margaret River (very south) Shenton College

Perth Modern, Carine are Nor & Kelmscott is East towards the hills not sure of the others.

Duncraig is not on the above list but has an academic GATE program and is NOR

My personal view FWIW is you should live as close to the school as you can afford otherwise it will be much harder to form a social network.

And if you choose to live in the catchment area of a GATE school then even if your daughter doesn't get selected she will still get a good education,

Jules

Hi, We are moving to Perth hopefully ( house sale going through at the mo) some time in April. Our son will be 16 on 1st July, am I right in thinking he will be in year 11 ? Also he is interested in doing enviroment & conservation ( not sure if it's an apprenticeship or course). What I would like to know is.... is this one he could do at school?

Do only certain schools do it, if so which ones?

or is it something he would have to go to TAFE to do & if so which ones or is it any or all?

Any words of wisdom would be VERY much appreciated. X

Hi Jules, I think I might have seen it as an apprenticeship on the gov job page but can't find anything on it now & that would be right up my sons street. Don't really know the ins & out's of it! X Thanks

• 4 months later...
Guest amoeba
Ali is right - you do have to be in the catchment area for Rossmoyne. You also have to be for Willetton, unless you can get in under one of their programs. As was said, Willetton runs a basketball program, but it also is a GATE school (gifted and talented education) so if you can get into that, you can go there too.

I went to Willetton myself, and live in Bayswater (NOR, near the airport). Took me an hour each way on the bus, but it was really worth it.

Klasey

Hi there, it's really great to hear from someone who's got real local knowledge and experience. Rossmoyne has been recommended to me for my son and I've been in touch to get the low down on the catchment so as to help me look for a rental area for our relocation to Perth in Sept/Oct this year. What I would like to know, however, and I think you're probably a great person to ask this, is which are the best primary schools to pick from? I'm really liking the properties on Domain.com.au in Shelley and Bull Creek, but I my driver for picking an area will have to be a primary school for my daughter.... she currently attends a private school in the UK and is reticent about going to a state school so it's got to be really good! :cute:

I do hope you are able to give me some pointers, or anyone else on here who has experience of primaries!:biggrin:

Thanks in advance

Emma

Guest amoeba

Hi guys, I tried to post here with a question to Klase but I'm not sure if it worked as I can't see it so just in case I'm trying again...

I am planning to get my son into Rossmoyne SHS and have been in contact and have their catchment map. However I need to place my daughter and wonder if anyone can recommend any particular primary in the same area? My list from Rossmoyne SHS includes:

Bateman

Brentwood

Bull Creek

Oberthur

Riverton

Shelley

Willetton

Rossmoyne

Can anyone give me an idea of which are the best? My daughter attends a private quaker primary in the UK and is reticent about going to a state school, despite me telling her that the Australian school system has a better rating than that of the UK (that's why I went private in the UK)... so if anyone has any info to quell her fears please do share :)

Thank you in advance :) Emma

My daughter attends a private quaker primary in the UK and is reticent about going to a state school, despite me telling her that the Australian school system has a better rating than that of the UK (that's why I went private in the UK)... so if anyone has any info to quell her fears please do share :)

Thank you in advance :) Emma

I would be very mindful of making statements such as this, especially in reference to schools in WA. I know I keep saying it but there is no such thing as "the Australian school system".

Guest amoeba
I would be very mindful of making statements such as this, especially in reference to schools in WA. I know I keep saying it but there is no such thing as "the Australian school system".

Thank you for your input, but I was merely generalising as many do, and referring to the global positioning of Australia, as I have read, as 5th in the education standards rankings with the UK at 7th position which TBH isn't a lot different. I know it is dependent on individual schools as it is in the UK so there are always going to be some that outperform others. It was merely a comment to help others understand why a good school is important to my children. What I am waiting to hear is what is the best primary in the particular catchment of Rossmoyne, nothing more :)

Thank you for your input, but I was merely generalising as many do, and referring to the global positioning of Australia, as I have read, as 5th in the education standards rankings with the UK at 7th position which TBH isn't a lot different. I know it is dependent on individual schools as it is in the UK so there are always going to be some that outperform others. It was merely a comment to help others understand why a good school is important to my children. What I am waiting to hear is what is the best primary in the particular catchment of Rossmoyne, nothing more :)

To be honest if it is a feeder school for Rossmoyne it will be good. It will be about how you feel about the general ethos of the school when you visit that will set an individual school apart.

• 2 weeks later...

We arrived in Perth on 11/08/10. We're living in Applecross for the first month but after looking around a liitle we like NOR. Our girls are 13 and 11 and we obviously want to live somewhere near to a good high school. The only 1 we keep hearing about is Woodvale. Are there any others????

We arrived in Perth on 11/08/10. We're living in Applecross for the first month but after looking around a liitle we like NOR. Our girls are 13 and 11 and we obviously want to live somewhere near to a good high school. The only 1 we keep hearing about is Woodvale. Are there any others????

Duncraig and Carine are both good. If I was picking then I would pick Duncraig SHS.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ladyjady

Hi All

I am hoping to move to Perth in January 2011 with my 2 kids 10 and 14. No concerns on the younger, but my son is due to start year 10 next week, so I would assume he would start year 10 in Jan in WA. (He is the youngest in his year being an August baby)

I have looked on the curriculum council website, and am lost in a minefiled of other sites! He would be embarking on a 2 year GCSE course followed my 2 years of A Levels before uni. Am i right in assuming that the year 10 cuuriculum leads to a qualification in itself, and then he has the option to stay on to complete senior secondary?

What are his options at the start of year 10?

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am confused with all these school years, I have been told its not the same as the uk. My daughter is 11 in December and is currently in year 6 in juniors. How old are when you start senior school and how old do the children have to be when they start. Also do the schools offer activities after school hours. My daughter will be doing school activities in the uk.

Thanks.

Hi

I am confused with all these school years, I have been told its not the same as the uk. My daughter is 11 in December and is currently in year 6 in juniors. How old are when you start senior school and how old do the children have to be when they start. Also do the schools offer activities after school hours. My daughter will be doing school activities in the uk.

Thanks.

your daughter would currently be in year 5, commencing year 6 in Feb 2011. Schools vary in what they offer after school. In WA senior school commences in year 8 in state senior schools and year 7 in private schools. It isn't the UK so you can't compare.

Hi

Does anybody know whether the primary schools have before school and after school clubs or do others use childminders. I will be working, and at present I have a great childminder so this is another thing I need to sort out thanks

I don't think many schools themselves do but there are plenty that drop off and pick up at the primary schools in their area. They are usually attached to childcare centres and the YMCA run some as well. The same centres also do vacation care.

Childminders are still an option - here it is called 'family day care'

Just don't enrol your child in a school until you know there is an after school club or childminder that picks up there - we did to our cost and ended up having a nanny at $20 an hour! Actually we got an aupair in the end, 15 'free' childcare in exchange for board and lodge which has worked well for us.

Jules

Archived