What age do you have to be to take your driving test?

cartertucker

Guest gothicqueen

I could be wrong but think I read somewhere that it is 21, my daughter is 16 next week so possibly could be able to drivein this country before we go but not there

Guest fabadababa

This is what I found:

New South Wales - 17 yrs

South Australia - 16 yrs

Victoria - 18 yrs

Queensland - 17 yrs

Northern Territory - 17 yrs

Tasmania - 17 yrs

Western Australia - 17 yrs

Hope that helps!

This is what I found:

New South Wales - 17 yrs

South Australia - 16 yrs

Victoria - 18 yrs

Queensland - 17 yrs

Northern Territory - 17 yrs

Tasmania - 17 yrs

Western Australia - 17 yrs

Hope that helps!

Oh wow...where did you get this information, its great. :yes:

Thankyou so much. On behalf of myself & others reading this thread.

Kelly.:smile:

Personally I'd say get your licence over here if you can before you move to Australia. I know in NSW there are a lot of stages to getting a full licence and it's no where near as straightforward as it is over here.

A full UK licence can be exchanged for a full NSW licence without any problems and restrictions.

I'd like to know where those ages came from too, as someone living in Queensland told me that the age is 16. My son will be gutted, as in NZ he's old enough now at 15, but even if he gets it here he can't drive in Oz until legally old enough in that state apparently.

Personally I'd say get your licence over here if you can before you move to Australia. I know in NSW there are a lot of stages to getting a full licence and it's no where near as straightforward as it is over here.

A full UK licence can be exchanged for a full NSW licence without any problems and restrictions.

Thankyou, im sure if my son is old enough whilst we are here, he will be wanting to get his licence as soon as he can! Only hope the freedom he gets wont make him want to stay here....Arrghhh :arghh: No, surely not, even with freedom, what can you do....Not too much, not without it costing a fourtune anyway!!!

Thanks again,

Guest fabadababa
I'd like to know where those ages came from too, as someone living in Queensland told me that the age is 16. My son will be gutted, as in NZ he's old enough now at 15, but even if he gets it here he can't drive in Oz until legally old enough in that state apparently.

I can't find the flamin' website now :arghh:

From digging deeper though, it looks like the ages I found are the ages when you can legally have a 'full' licence. Maybe you can get the equivalent of the British provisional licence at a younger age? It also looks like you have to do a certain number of hours' driving before you can get your full licence.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this will jump in!

Ok - have spoken to the OH and this is the situation in NSW.

1.Take a UK hazzard perception style test to get your Learners permit.

2.Learners permit @ 16 years and 9 months and you then have to complete at least 150 supervised driving hours with a qualified FULL licence holder in the passenger seat.

3.You then go in for your P plate test - theory and practical.

4.You then stay on your red P plates for 12 months and take another theory test with restrictions to 80kph.

5.After the 2nd theory test you get bumped up to green P plates where you can drive upto 90kph.

6.You stay on your green P plates for 2 years during which time you have to take another hazzard perception test.

7.Once you pass the final hazzard perception test you then get onto a full licence.

As you can see it's a lot easier to pass your test in the UK, which is why I've just done that!

There was talk about bringing in driving curfews for P platers but I'm not sure if that's come in or not - they do restrict the type of vehicle you can drive though, you can't drive a V8 under the age of 25 (or possible 27).

Guest fabadababa

2.Learners permit @ 16 years and 9 months and you then have to complete at least 150 supervised driving hours with a qualified FULL licence holder in the passenger seat.

4.You then stay on your red P plates for 12 months and take another theory test with restrictions to 80kph.

5.After the 2nd theory test you get bumped up to green P plates where you can drive upto 90kph.

6.You stay on your green P plates for 2 years during which time you have to take another hazzard perception test.

7.Once you pass the final hazzard perception test you then get onto a full licence.

As you can see it's a lot easier to pass your test in the UK, which is why I've just done that!

There was talk about bringing in driving curfews for P platers but I'm not sure if that's come in or not - they do restrict the type of vehicle you can drive though, you can't drive a V8 under the age of 25 (or possible 27).

...well that all seems straightforward enough!!! :biglaugh:

Hi folks

This is the link to the Queensland road traffic authority site with info about learning to drive here as I noticed you hope to move here :

Learning to drive

I would, like others have said, if time allows get your son to learn to drive and get passed in the UK. My son turned 17 5 months before we moved here and during that time he managed to do it and it was most definitely worthwhile as he was able to convert his full UK licence to one here - much to the shock of his new aussie mates for whom it will take years LOL

Lyn

Just another example of the disparity between states - see here Driving licence in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a description in a nutshell!

Despite all these regulations, I have to say that I dont know that Australians are any better drivers for them! Some still cannot fathom roundabouts when they get to them and we have one of the highest rates of youth motor vehicle deaths. Comparing UK (recent visit) with Aus I would say there is less courtesy here, more tailgating and poorer parking skills (mine included, I have lost the knack of parking in miniscule spaces after being spoiled by spaces a mile wide!).

Despite all these regulations, I have to say that I dont know that Australians are any better drivers for them! Some still cannot fathom roundabouts when they get to them and we have one of the highest rates of youth motor vehicle deaths. Comparing UK (recent visit) with Aus I would say there is less courtesy here, more tailgating and poorer parking skills (mine included, I have lost the knack of parking in miniscule spaces after being spoiled by spaces a mile wide!).

I totally agree Quoll

What shocks me most is that although there is a restriction on the engine size P platers can drive it is only from V8 upwards :shocked: complete and total madness - inexperienced drivers charging around in V6 ute's or sports car is the norm here!!!!

road manners are appalling - roundabouts, lane skipping - you need eyes in the back of your head, tailgating the list goes on!

Furthermore, in my eyes the women are just as bad as the men, and age does not mellow either LOL

I just drive with my eyes closed now............. :biglaugh:

Lyn x

Guest diesellisle

Oooooh no! I think I will have to try and take my test again here before we go (Third time lucky!) - It all sounds very complicated. I hope Queensland has a simpler system...lol!

Lisa X

Oooooh no! I think I will have to try and take my test again here before we go (Third time lucky!) - It all sounds very complicated. I hope Queensland has a simpler system...lol!

Lisa X

Hi Lisa,

You go for it girl, I was a 'third time lucky passer' :yes: Sounds as though it will be a much better idea to do it here!

Hi,

Thankyou all so much for your replies, I must say this thread has really helped me out a great deal & you shall all be 'chicken clicked' by way of thanks!!! :yes:

I should think by the sounds of it, anyone who has the chance, should defo take their tests here, before they go, it all sounds a bit complicated, especially when we would be 'new to the area' 'new to the rules' etc etc..

Thankyou again,

Im off to 'chicken click' LOL

When you compare the current UK test it really is a lot easier - my OH is looking at getting her licence here before we go back home as the NSW set up is so complicated.

In the UK you take your theory test (and hopefully pass!) and then take your practical - no minimum driving hours, no restricted licence for 2 years etc, just 2 simple tests and you're done.

(and yes, I do know the tests aren't actually that simple but you know what I mean!)

Guest Rickard Family

Hi All

Can we drive over there on our british licence or do we have to resit a test....god i hope not!!:err:

Lou x

You can drive in Australia on a full UK driving licence before you have to exchange it for an Australian one - as I've said somewhere else on here today to swap the UK licence for a QLD licence you take both parts of your UK licence, your passport, proof of your QLD address and some cash (not sure how much but I think it's $60) to a local Transport office and you get your QLD licence. There's no need to take a test or anything.

Just reread my post and it comes across as a bit sharp, sorry about that - was on the phone to my girls (who're at my mums for the a few days and phoned to get me to referee an argument!) and wasn't really on the ball. Sorry.

Guest Rickard Family

:biglaugh: if that was to me, No worries...i didn't take it that way, thats the trouble with text...lol

Lou x

I have a 17 year old son, who passed his test here a few months ago.

The rules here in QLD changed in July last year. From memory, you can now get your learner licence at 16. You have to sit and pass theory test in order to get your learners licence. Then you have to complete a log book and record 100 hours driving experience, including a number of hours night driving (when it's dark). If you have lessons with a driving school, the first 10 hours will count for 30 hours driving experience, after 10 you just get an hour for each hour. When you have turned 17 and have held your learners licence for a year,and completed your 100 hours, you hand in your log book to the post office, who forward it to be accessed. When you receive approval that it passed you can then book your driving test. On passing your driving test, you have to drive on P plates for 3? years, I know they are red definately for the first year not sure when you move to green P plates. Youths driving are only allowed one young passenger (apart from siblings) after 11.00pm at night, while on P plates, zero alcohol levels. There are a few other rules for young drivers too - but think they are the main ones.

Hope this helps! Regards, Jarvl.

I have a 17 year old son, who passed his test here a few months ago.

The rules here in QLD changed in July last year. From memory, you can now get your learner licence at 16. You have to sit and pass theory test in order to get your learners licence. Then you have to complete a log book and record 100 hours driving experience, including a number of hours night driving (when it's dark). If you have lessons with a driving school, the first 10 hours will count for 30 hours driving experience, after 10 you just get an hour for each hour. When you have turned 17 and have held your learners licence for a year,and completed your 100 hours, you hand in your log book to the post office, who forward it to be accessed. When you receive approval that it passed you can then book your driving test. On passing your driving test, you have to drive on P plates for 3? years, I know they are red definately for the first year not sure when you move to green P plates. Youths driving are only allowed one young passenger (apart from siblings) after 11.00pm at night, while on P plates, zero alcohol levels. There are a few other rules for young drivers too - but think they are the main ones.

Hope this helps! Regards, Jarvl.

Hi & thankyou, yes, that does help, it certainly is alot for them to do, but I can see it makes sense, im sure it makes them better drivers in the long run (well, you'd like to hope it does)

Thankyou again, have 'chicken clicked' you. :yes:

Archived