457 visa and pregnant??

What would happen if I was in Australia on a 457 visa (will be working as a Nurse) and became pregnant in Australia.

From research you don't get much (if any) maternity pay anyway, would it make the visa invalid and i'd have to return, would I work over the 2 years to repay any time off, would it have any affect on applying for PR whilst there negative or positive ????

Confused and broody!! :wacko:

Would be grateful for any advice so I can work out my life plan !!

The O'Connors

Hi there!

Right, where do I start.

We (me, hubby and kids) came to Aus on a 457 visa and I became pregnant within 1 year. As I was the main sponsor on our visa,immigration were harsh and as this is a working visa, initially I was told that I was only entitled to 3 months leave!!! Shocking. I nearly booked our tickets back to the UK.

When returning to work, the visa does not allow any flexibility to hours or part time working (again not good news - unless you have someone to look after the kids).

We had an immigration agent look into the matter who spoke with immigration on my behalf and they agreed that as long as I was earning the minimum amount required under a 457 over that financial year, I could have the rest of the time off - they worked it out backwards and I was able to take 9 months off (only because I am on a good salary).

However, when returning to work I have to go back on a full time basis (which was not what I wanted initially).

To overcome this, we applied for an offshore PR visa (which would entitle me to have a further 3 months off work and work flexibly once I returned) in Aug 07. At this stage, we do not have a case officer yet and expecting a decision within 4 months!!!

I am due back at work in July 08, so there goes having anther 3 months off!

You are not entitled to any state benefits and only what the company offers if anything for maternity. Unfortunately, you also miss out on the $4k baby bonus!! Bummer!

I found it painful and depressing, but hey a new baby is all worth it at the end.

Good Luck

• 2 months later...
Guest greenapple
Hi there!

Right, where do I start.

We (me, hubby and kids) came to Aus on a 457 visa and I became pregnant within 1 year. As I was the main sponsor on our visa,immigration were harsh and as this is a working visa, initially I was told that I was only entitled to 3 months leave!!! Shocking. I nearly booked our tickets back to the UK.

When returning to work, the visa does not allow any flexibility to hours or part time working (again not good news - unless you have someone to look after the kids).

We had an immigration agent look into the matter who spoke with immigration on my behalf and they agreed that as long as I was earning the minimum amount required under a 457 over that financial year, I could have the rest of the time off - they worked it out backwards and I was able to take 9 months off (only because I am on a good salary).

However, when returning to work I have to go back on a full time basis (which was not what I wanted initially).

To overcome this, we applied for an offshore PR visa (which would entitle me to have a further 3 months off work and work flexibly once I returned) in Aug 07. At this stage, we do not have a case officer yet and expecting a decision within 4 months!!!

I am due back at work in July 08, so there goes having anther 3 months off!

You are not entitled to any state benefits and only what the company offers if anything for maternity. Unfortunately, you also miss out on the $4k baby bonus!! Bummer!

I found it painful and depressing, but hey a new baby is all worth it at the end.

Good Luck

Jraj, did you have any chest xray request? Would there be a chance that the PR maybe approved before your baby's born?

Archived