North/ North-East suburbs of Melbourne?

imo2oz

OMG my OH has actually got the job! After 5 year of planning it is all coming together at last:biggrin:

So, the job is in Campbellfield in North Melbourne, and OH's employer is sugesting we should be looking for a rental in Diamond Creek, Eltham, Bundoora type areas.

I am looking for any information about these areas or any other suitable places in North Melbourne. We have 4 lively children! 3, 5, 11, 13, so looking for a biggish house but not too high rent! Good school, both secondary and primary, and places to play out/parks/ child friendly places. Same as everyone really....

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Imogen

Eltham is a really nice leafy suburb and Bundoora is an up and coming suburb- lot of newish houses. Diamond Creek is ok too but not as nice as Eltham I think. Plenty of reasonable schools round there though not sure which High Schools would be best for your 13 yo. I am sure someone will know.

Hi, Bundoora, Etham, Watsonia, Greensborough area are nice, that is were I grew up. Greensborough and Watsonia I would prefer over Bundoora because they are on the train line. You have to take the tram from Bundoora into the city which is a bit slow. Its nice place tho lots of trees, schools. There are lots of parks around the area, Bundoora park is MASSIVE and has native animals, a golf course, play equipment and lots of open space.

OMG my OH has actually got the job! After 5 year of planning it is all coming together at last:biggrin:

So, the job is in Campbellfield in North Melbourne, and OH's employer is sugesting we should be looking for a rental in Diamond Creek, Eltham, Bundoora type areas.

I am looking for any information about these areas or any other suitable places in North Melbourne. We have 4 lively children! 3, 5, 11, 13, so looking for a biggish house but not too high rent! Good school, both secondary and primary, and places to play out/parks/ child friendly places. Same as everyone really....

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Imogen

They are all nice green affordable family suburbs. Just a tip - North Melbourne, South Melbourne, East Melbourne and West Melbourne are all the names of expensive suburbs of inner Melbourne, so when you go on http://www.realestate.com.au do not search under "North Melbourne" or you will get house price shock! Serach specifically on those suburbs suggested to you.

Good luck. And if soggy Autumns depress you in the UK you might want to avoid the leafier parts of Eltham as the autumns are quite damp and leaves everywhere - or it may stop you being homesick for a chilly morning and soggy autumn leaves.

Best of luck. Melbourne is great. Try to get nearish to a train line for city trips.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband's from Greensborough and we've been living with his parents since we landed here 7 months ago - we do plan to move on in the spring! I have to say it's lovely here, perfect for bringing up kids. Very leafy and green as others have said. I couldn't comment on the price for rental here. Another place you might consider on the train line is Rosanna. I would discourage Bundoora as it's not on the train line and the tram looks dreadfully slow although this is a second hand observation from driving past it as opposed to having ever experienced it. Also there is a lot of new housing as it expands. You may see this as a plus for the community. Eltham, where we have more family, again would seem like a nice place to live. Diamond Creek is nice too, just a bit further out that's all so it would depend on what kind of commute you'd be happy with. There's Plenty as well if you're happy looking over that way. And Watsonia seems like a good option too. I don't think you can go too far wrong in any of these areas so long as you're happy with your house and the local amenities.