Referred to medical officer of the Commonwealth!

Wrightx6

I have just found out that my medical has been referred to MCO! As far as I know I am fit and well with no

Past medical history. My husband is the main applicant for 457 and has passed his medical. We both work in healthcare so had to have blood tests , chest xray etc... Does anyone know why this could be and how long the delay is likely to be?

My husbands was refered at the end of may. He has some scaring on his lung from a recent chest infection (so his gp told him from an xray just before his medical). They have huge backlogs at the moment and his medical STILL isnt back. They told us Tuesday that it had just been posted out...

Thanks for replying.

Did you get told the reason for the referral? I have no idea and now my imagination is imagining allsortts!

Blossom 79 - so do you reckon it is taking about 2 months at the moment for processing?

Do you have to have further medicals/ doctors reports?

Thanks for replying.

Did you get told the reason for the referral? I have no idea and now my imagination is imagining allsortts!

Blossom 79 - so do you reckon it is taking about 2 months at the moment for processing?

Do you have to have further medicals/ doctors reports?

Hubbie phoned up and they told him it was the xray which was being refered. They have been pretty helpful really on the phone, calming him down, telling him not to panic etc. His medical finally arrived back today. He didn't need any more tests, it was just a case of a dr looking at his xray and ticking that it was nothing serious. So 31st of may until 13th of July. However, they told us they hadn't been overly busy when we went for our meds. I am guessing it could take a bit longer for ones done in June.

Try not to panic.

Guest cgw52

My wife and I also both work in healthcare and are applying for a 457 visa. My wife's medical requirements have been finalised whilst mine were "referredy" on 18th July. We are both fit and well and I confirmed with the panel doctors in London that there were no issues. We are due to fly out to Melbourne on 2nd August for my wife to start work on 6th so this latest revelation is causing a lot of angst. The Melbourne visa centre of excellence handling our case are unable to advocate on our behalf about the medical side of the visa which is processed in Sydney.

Does anyone have any useful contact details that I can use to try and chase this along?

That would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

My wife and I also both work in healthcare and are applying for a 457 visa. My wife's medical requirements have been finalised whilst mine were "referredy" on 18th July. We are both fit and well and I confirmed with the panel doctors in London that there were no issues. We are due to fly out to Melbourne on 2nd August for my wife to start work on 6th so this latest revelation is causing a lot of angst. The Melbourne visa centre of excellence handling our case are unable to advocate on our behalf about the medical side of the visa which is processed in Sydney.

Does anyone have any useful contact details that I can use to try and chase this along?

Many thanks,

Chris

I think maybe you need to investigate looking into changing your flights, in the past a couple of weeks for a referral was normal but sounds like that is extended now. I dont think there will be much you can do to move it along, there is a queue.

Guest crusty10003

Hey i am in kinda a similar situation to your self...i had my medical referred to the MOC in Sydney around the 8th of June.I was told it would take 6 to 8 weeks to be finalized. when i rang back a few weeks later they told me that there is no time limit on the processing because of the massive back log.they told me only my case officer can put a request to speed things up.

I feel your pain. My boyfriend and I are also going on a 457 (hopefully) and also both work in healthcare. We applied on the 21st June, and had medicals on 26th June. Whilst his results were all ok on 6th July, mine got referred over on July 9th.

To the best of my knowledge I am fit and well, the doctor didn't say he flagged anything up and the clinic I went to say they have no record now my results have been sent electronically.

Was hoping to fly on the 13th August, as starting work on the 20th August, but just don't know how realistic that is given the current backlog. It's all very worrying!

Takes a wk just for the CO to reply to an email, let alone for anything to seem to happen!

Is there any chance the CO could give the sydney office a nudge do you think?

Guest cgw52

Mine was referred on 18th July. Still awaiting AHPRA registration (which is a different nightmare in itself) so haven't really got the mandate to start stoking the immigration dept to get their skates on. Am able to change our flights for £150 each + fare difference (which is not insignificant due to the Olympics) up to 48 hrs before we are due to fly (on 2nd August). Slightly regret buying them all those months ago to "save money" on Olympic ramped up fares but did not anticipate these problems. I worked in Perth for 6 months in 2003. Life was simple then: hospital sorts the visa, you turn up with necessary passport, degree certificates etc and get it all done in one afternoon at the Western Australian medical board. Token chest xray was the only medical requirement. Not sure why it all has to be so ridiculously complicated, expensive and stressful these days. Seems hardly worth it for one year's work.

Good luck to all those in a similar position.

C

Guest cgw52

Just confirmed with the panel doctors that there was no issues with my medical. Blood tests normal, Xray normal and given a "Grade A" on the medical examination with no additional recommendations or information required. Have no idea why I have been referred and its going to cause a major problem. Very frustrating.

Well we haven't booked flights yet luckily but we are due to exchange on our house sale any day now, which is stressful when you're not sure you're going to pass the medical and get the visa! Does anyone have contact details for the MCOs in Sydney?

Guest coolranu

My wife's medical results were referred to MOC, but it was not due to any medical reason but due to some administrative reason. The guys at Melbourne Medicare centre forgot/miss placed her result due to some some technical issues from there end. It took nearly 3 valuable weeks to sort out the issue and she has to re-do her medicals ( no cost involved as fault was from there end) and the result was sent to the CO immediately.

My advice is better not to worry about your own health condition as some one rightly suggested if there is any health issue you will be the first person who will know about it and secondly the doctors at the medical centre will advice ( morally obliged) you during the test itself. It's better you call your CO/MOC and and check whats the real issue behind it.

Guest trasi
I just heard today my medical has been passed and visa will be granted tomorrow. So less than 3 weeks processing time! Still no idea why it was referred though!

ahh thats fab news..... like you guys im in healthcare, 457. My meds were referred 23rd July...... and just like you.... ive no idea why :eek:

3 weeks is better than 2 months:laugh:

fingers crossed we will all hear soon.

many congrats wrightx6 xx

• 2 months later...
Guest santhoshsk
I have just found out that my medical has been referred to MCO! As far as I know I am fit and well with no

Past medical history. My husband is the main applicant for 457 and has passed his medical. We both work in healthcare so had to have blood tests , chest xray etc... Does anyone know why this could be and how long the delay is likely to be?

Hi, am also in the same situation now. My medicals are also referred. Did your visa get approved atleast now??

Please let me know if you have any additional info on this processing time. Am very worried :( Thank you!!

How do you find out the reason for referral. My agent doesn't know and the case officer says she doesn't know either!

Unfortunately, there is no way to find out, and both your agent and case officer are being sincere. Only the team at Global Health and the Medical Officers of Commonwealth know why.

It is frustrating sitting in limbo, but just be patient.

Unfortunately, there is no way to find out, and both your agent and case officer are being sincere. Only the team at Global Health and the Medical Officers of Commonwealth know why.

It is frustrating sitting in limbo, but just be patient.

See my earlier posts. Do not worry, there is little you can do. A lot of medical referrals happen for no particular reason whatsoever. I had my medical referred on 18th July. I checked with the panel doctors in London who confirmed that I was passed as a Grade A (which should not attract any referral). My 457 visa was granted on 8th August (bang on 3 weeks later). Sadly this was too late for my wife and I to fly out to Melbourne on 2nd August as planned and booked. It cost us another £600 to change the flights to 16th which meant the wife was 2 weeks late for work. The hospital was very understanding as they are aware of how difficult Immigration and AHPRA registration have become over the last few years.

Good luck and as people have said before (which I didn't quite believe when I was at your stage) it will all be worth it in the end!

C