Police Certificate from Singapore for non-residents

Guest thangvan

Guest thangvan

Hi all,

CO has been assigned to my case and he is requesting me to produce police certificate from the countries in which I lived for more than 12 months in the last 10 years. I worked and lived in singapore for more than 14 months last year, and therefore a certificate of clearance is needed in accordance with Australian requirement.

However to my surprise, when I checked the link given by DIAC guidance, I found out that Singapore Police issues certificate of clearance to residents only (whilst I am not a resident of Singapore).

What should I do now? was anyone in the same situation as mine? Please help me:daydreaming: I have only 27 days left

First you need to write the CO to explain that Singapore Police does not issue the police clearance for non-resident. You can attach the link of the Singapore Police website for the CO reference. Second, ask for an extension of the deadline to submit the clearance certificate as it is not a normal process.

Singapore Police will still issue the clearance certificate to non-resident on a request basis. Hence, you will need to ask a letter from the DIAC to stay that statutory declaration is not sufficient for their purpose and hence DIAC needs the police clearance certificate. Once DIAC issues the letter, you need to contact Singapore Police to make appointment. You will need to travel to Singapore for this submission and they will need the thump print of all your 10 fingers. Some fee will be charged. The clearance certificate will be sent directly to DIAC.

Come to this stage, it is almost sure that your visa will be granted. Wish you good luck.

I'm not too sure if you're required to actually fly down to Singapore; DIAC would understand that it's an impractical thing to do. What may be requested of you (just my guess!) would be to get your fingerprints taken at a police station where you are, or by a fingerprint officer, and then you send your prints to the Singapore Police for them to do their checks and issue you with the cert.

Hi,

When our CO was assigned, he automatically joined a letter from DIAC officially requesting us a police certificate. We had to send this letter together with the form, the cheque and the fingerprints to the Singapore police. As we were in a hurry, we even arranged to have DHL pick the certificate once ready. Otherwise, they will send it to DIAC directly. We've had the fingerprints taken here in Australia at the local police office. Very straightforward. Good luck, visa is close!

Hi,

When our CO was assigned, he automatically joined a letter from DIAC officially requesting us a police certificate. We had to send this letter together with the form, the cheque and the fingerprints to the Singapore police. As we were in a hurry, we even arranged to have DHL pick the certificate once ready. Otherwise, they will send it to DIAC directly. We've had the fingerprints taken here in Australia at the local police office. Very straightforward. Good luck, visa is close!

Hi annever,

How did you arrange to have DHL pick the certificate?

Dear Thang Van

the singapore police force (SPF) issues COC for foreigners if you can provide them with a letter from the requesting authority (eg. US Consulate, UK Consulate etc) stating that a Certificate of Clearance (COC) is required and that a Statutory Declaration of No Criminal Conviction is not acceptable. If you can contact the requesting office and obtain such a letter requesting the COC from them, u can then obtain the COC from the SPF by submitting the relevant supporting documents along with the completed COC application form which can be downloaded from the spf website. Hope this helps.

Hi annever,

How did you arrange to have DHL pick the certificate?

We called the Singapore police officer in charge of our file to warn her that we would like to have the COC picked up by DHL instead of being sent by the post. She then gave us the file number and said that we would be advised when the COC is ready. Afterwards, we contacted DHL to have the delivery arranged (they call it an inbound). We gave them the pick up address, contact name and number and the file number and told them to deliver it to our case officer at DIAC. We paid the fees in advance and on the day the COC was ready, we just called DHL and tell them they could go for it. It was at DIAC the next day, very efficient but additional costs involved of course.

We called the Singapore police officer in charge of our file to warn her that we would like to have the COC picked up by DHL instead of being sent by the post. She then gave us the file number and said that we would be advised when the COC is ready. Afterwards, we contacted DHL to have the delivery arranged (they call it an inbound). We gave them the pick up address, contact name and number and the file number and told them to deliver it to our case officer at DIAC. We paid the fees in advance and on the day the COC was ready, we just called DHL and tell them they could go for it. It was at DIAC the next day, very efficient but additional costs involved of course.

Thanks Annever, I am about to send my COC application to Singapore Police Force.

Do you mind give me the SPF's phone number that you called because it seems that they have several numbers and till now I haven't been

able to speak to either one of them.

One more thing, I presume you contacted the DHL here in Australia or in Sin?

Guest thangvan

Thank you all for your advice. My CO sent me the request letter this morning, and I also called SPF to ask about this, and the operator told me to send the application form for citizens which can be downloaded online altogether with the letter from my CO. I'm going on a business trip next Tuesday to Singapore so I will take advantage of this to go there and apply in person.

Just one more question. I read many on this site stated that they had to appealed first by sending the CO letter, when SPF approved their appeal, then they could send their application form. Is that 'appeal' necessary?

Guest thangvan

Hi all,

I couriered my application form with all relevant supporting docs to Singapore and they received it yesterday (12/6). It will take them 10 working days to process that means it won't be available to be sent/picked up on 26/6. As SPF doesn't give an option for courier pick-up, I'm afraid that I will miss CO's deadline which is 3/7.

For those who applied for COC from Singapore, please help me again. Did SPF send you a confirmation email for your application so that you know your ref to ask for your COC status, or arrange for a pick-up by courier?

hi thangvan even if SPF doesn't give you an option for courier pickup, you can do what annever did and get DHL to pick it up for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rahulnair25283

Hi All,

This is Rahul. I am from India and was assigned a case officer this week. The CO has requested a COC from Singapore for my wife since she was staying there for a period of over 12 months. The process is very clear to me but my concern is where can I get the fingerprinting done here in India ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Guest jaycris

Hi,

I just sent my application to Singapore earlier... anyway, what I did was go to the local police station and had my fingerprints done on an official police finger printing card and had it signed by the fingerprint officer of the police station.

Also, you might have a problem with the bank draft... what you can do is call the Singapore police, they might be able to tell you which banks they can allow...

Guest thangvan

I sent them a request for receipt one week ago, and all I got back was "your application is in progress". But that would be enough for me to submit to my CO. Just called them and learned that my COC will not be ready to be sent next week, which is 3 weeks from date of submission. bugger

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jaycris

thangvan... have you received it yet?

I was just asked two days ago to produce passport pages that show my date of entry and date of exit... and was told that they will not notify me of the result or if it has been sent to DIAC already... I will need to contact them again just to check whether or not it has been sent...

all this waiting is getting me antsy considering it's the only thing left for DIAC to let me proceed with medicals (I think)

Guest thangvan

Mine was posted by registered mail to Australia on 3/6, hopefully it will be on my CO's desk by 12/6. Yes, you have to phone them to check if it is sent, I phoned them several times and they refused to tell me a date when my COC would be issued. It's irritating but C'est la vie