Grade A Electrical License in Victoria

DannyCoyles

Hi Everyone

I am asking on behalf of my friend (Paul) how to go about getting a Grade A Electrical License in Victoria. Paul is currently working in the UK as a fully qualified electrician and they have their PR visas. I have read through the electricians thread but there is no information for Victoria. Has anyone been through the process? How long does it take and how much does it cost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have seen threads about this on BE and here but goodness knows where they are.

Have you looked at this web site:

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/Electricity-Professionals/Licensing-and-registration/Electricians-Licence

I do know that Vic is hard. My father was an Agrade contractor in every State other than Vic and he just could not be bothered to be honest. :laugh: Lived elsewhere.

Hi

We have looked at that site and I phoned them as well. They just said that you have to get assessed by the TRA when you arrive and they will let you know what grade of license you can apply for. But cant find out how long it takes to get that license from that point on. I think it depends on the TRA assessment. Not much use when you are trying to decide upon which state to move to.

I am sure there are electricians around on the forums. Just post on BE, here and on Britvics and see if someone comes up, might take a few days but should be someone.

Know there is one in QLD who posts about what is required and he may know,.

Also you could try the Electrical Trades Union they may give you some information.

Its funny when you do not need the info it appears in the forums then when you look specifically nothing turns up.

I am sure there are electricians around on the forums. Just post on BE, here and on Britvics and see if someone comes up, might take a few days but should be someone.

Know there is one in QLD who posts about what is required and he may know,.

Also you could try the Electrical Trades Union they may give you some information.

Its funny when you do not need the info it appears in the forums then when you look specifically nothing turns up.

I found an old thread from 2008 where someone in Victoria had posted their email address. Sent him an email last night and he gave me his number to call him tonight for some usuful information. Great to see that people are willing to take the time to help people they dont know. I will post the information in case others are searching for the same info.

Danny

Guest MaybeOz
I found an old thread from 2008 where someone in Victoria had posted their email address. Sent him an email last night and he gave me his number to call him tonight for some usuful information. Great to see that people are willing to take the time to help people they dont know. I will post the information in case others are searching for the same info.

Danny

Hi Danny,

If you have time after speaking to the chap about the process I'd appreciate knowing what hoops my hubby would have to jump through if we decide on Vic. We're in the same position as your friend, PR Visa granted 2008 as a General Electrician - TRA passed pre-visa grant - still in the UK at the moment.

Kind regards

Kari :wubclub:

• 1 month later...
Guest ollielox

Hi Maybe Oz & Danny Coyles,

Did you find out how to do this?? Can you provide me with any information?

I am moving to Oz in a few months on a defacto visa and will need to change over to A Grade when I get there.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest steven monk

If your coming to Victoria then be prepared that it could take you over 2 years for you to get qualified and $1000`s! There a lot of jobs but no one will offer you one untill qualified......... and getting qualified and persuading a company to take you on as gloryfied apprentice is pretty much non existent.

The guy I got in touch with through PIO said that in Victoria it is very

difficult to get your Grade A licence, basically they won’t issue a Grade A

licence unless you currently hold a pre Grade A licence. To get a pre Grade

A licence you need to do a TAFE course 1 night a week for 12-13 weeks. Then

to get the Grade A licence you need to do further study. All up it costs

over $4000 and it’s not uncommon for people to re-sit the exam a number of

times.

What he recommends doing is a distance training course with an agency in

South Australia called Peer ( http://www.peer.com.au) they

issue you with a work book to complete that can be done before moving to

Australia. This gets you ready for the exam, when you get to Australia you

have to go to South Australia for 5 days at the end of which you get your

Grade A licence, you can apply straight away to have this transferred to a

Victorian licence. All up this costs about $1300 so a lot quicker and

cheaper than doing it in Victoria.

This information was from an electrician who has been through this process. I have not checked with my friend in the UK to see how he is getting on with it all, but they have to be here for November to activate their visa's. I will find out how he went and post more information ASAP.

Dont understand how they can give you a visa for an occupation that requires further study and time when you get here. Surely there should be some way of doing the assessments in the UK or wherever to remove this issue.