NZ citizen - any ideas how we can get a Permanent Residents visa?

Guest dejavu

Guest dejavu

Hello! Brand new to this site, am too eager to get this post on here so have skipped the welcome board just for now in the hopes of getting some much needed information.

Our situation is that my husband holds both a British and New Zealand passport. From our understanding he can get a Special Category Visa to live in oz but this does not give him the priveleges of a permanent residents visa, although he is able to sponsor myself and our children to live in oz with him.

As I dont have NZ citizenship and nor do our children and we would rather avoid having to live in NZ for 5 years for me and the children to get NZ citizenship first, Permanent Residency is obviously very important to us as we want the security it brings and also the ability to eventually apply for oz citizenship. Unfortunately my husband nor I have a skill on the SOL and the only way at the moment that we can think of ever getting a PR visa is for me to go back to Uni when our children are a couple of years older (we have a 2 year old and due to give birth to the next one any day now :wideeyed:) and gain a qualification that is on the SOL (probably Occupational Therapy). Our queries are this: -

1. If/when I qualified, would I immediately be eligible for a Permanent Residents visa or would I have to be employed for a period of time first?

2. At what stage would I be able to sponsor my husband/children for Permanent Residency?

3. It was mentioned to us about Employer Sponsorship - however our belief is that you have to secure a job listed on the SOL, i.e. it cant be any job/employer that you get sponsored for - is this true?

4. does anyone know any other way we can get permanent residency that we may not be aware of?

I think that about covers our initial queries - theres plenty more where they came from! Look forward to seeing any replies and ideas you guys may have thanks in advance x

Cant you get NZ citizenship for your kids as your husband is a Kiwi? I know their rules are very different to Oz and i dont know what their rules would be about getting citizenship for you if you are married to a kiwi but once you all have NZ citizenship you can go to Oz with no problems as long as you dont have a criminal record. Why not go to NZ I thought it would be easier for you to get in there and it is a lovely place but I dont know much about how well the economy is.

I'm going on holidya to NZ next week - cant wait!

Its not as easy as it used to be as NZ was being used as back door to Aus and its now closed I believe, or at least it takes longer to open it. If there was a quick way I think there would be a flood again.

Speak to a migration agent or use google the immigration department. NZ spend a lot trying to get migrants and they like them to stay a while

'

New Zealand citizens may live and work in Australia without restriction.

Spouses and children of NZ citizens is a pretty specialized subject, so will not comment on that.

New Zealand citizens may apply to become PR of Australia. There are special visa classes, which are effectively the same as any other person applying for Australian PR, except they may be applied for while in Australia and will be issued to applicants while "onshore"

This is a pretty complex case you are talking about and would suggest you get skilled advise. I suspect an immigration lawyer, as opposed to an agent would be best.

Guest Oliveero

Hi dejavu,

I agree that your case sounds pretty unusual. I believe some migration agents monitor this forum - perhaps one of them would like to take up the challenge?

**CUE MIGRATION AGENT**!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Chris H 58

Hi,

My hubby and I and our 3 boys are NZ citizens as well as UK citizens. We came over here when the rules changed and we now have Special Category Visa's, not PR. I understand we are now too old to apply for PR :-( so we have to remain here on SCV. It sucks. But its worth it.

Good Luck, sorry cant offer advice but know there are other Uk/Kiwis here on SCV. Its not as good as PR of course, but..... ah well. :-(

Hello! Brand new to this site, am too eager to get this post on here so have skipped the welcome board just for now in the hopes of getting some much needed information.

Our situation is that my husband holds both a British and New Zealand passport. From our understanding he can get a Special Category Visa to live in oz but this does not give him the priveleges of a permanent residents visa, although he is able to sponsor myself and our children to live in oz with him.

As I dont have NZ citizenship and nor do our children and we would rather avoid having to live in NZ for 5 years for me and the children to get NZ citizenship first, Permanent Residency is obviously very important to us as we want the security it brings and also the ability to eventually apply for oz citizenship. Unfortunately my husband nor I have a skill on the SOL and the only way at the moment that we can think of ever getting a PR visa is for me to go back to Uni when our children are a couple of years older (we have a 2 year old and due to give birth to the next one any day now :wideeyed:) and gain a qualification that is on the SOL (probably Occupational Therapy). Our queries are this: -

1. If/when I qualified, would I immediately be eligible for a Permanent Residents visa or would I have to be employed for a period of time first? As a general rule, you need to have experience before you can get a permanent visa though under the current rules, it is possible for someone who studies and gets qualifications here to get one after 2 years study. You may need experience in order to get skills assessment however - depends on the occupation.

2. At what stage would I be able to sponsor my husband/children for Permanent Residency? You should be able to sponsor them as soon as you have PR.

3. It was mentioned to us about Employer Sponsorship - however our belief is that you have to secure a job listed on the SOL, i.e. it cant be any job/employer that you get sponsored for - is this true? For permanent employer sponsored visas, you must have a job on the ENSOL which is a much longer list that the SOL and tends not to be as changeable. I'll give you a link to the ENSOL below.

4. does anyone know any other way we can get permanent residency that we may not be aware of? Qualifying for skilled immigration is the only way.

I think that about covers our initial queries - theres plenty more where they came from! Look forward to seeing any replies and ideas you guys may have thanks in advance x

Following is a link to the ENSOL. Note that without 3 years experience, you will have to spend at least a couple of years on a temporary visa before becoming eligible to apply for a permanent visa and even then, your 457 employer must be willing to sponsor you for one - the progression from a 457 to a permanent visa is not automatic.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2010L03158 The ENSOL