What's it like living around gosford?

Fisher1

Hi all

we are hoping to move out to NSW next summer, and have been considering our options for buying property. We are retired so won't have to consider a commute, but also will have a fixed budget because there will be no mortgage.

we originally thought we would like to settle in Kiama, which is an easy two hour train ride from our daughter in Sydney. However, prices in that area seem to be rocketing and if they continue we will no longer be able to afford it.

We we had originally dismissed the Central Coast as being too quiet, but the property prices round gosford are very appealing. It's no good getting more property for our money if there isn't much of a social hub there, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me a clue about life in and around Gosford/ Woywoy. Ideally we'd like to be on a train line because although we both drive we don't necessarily always want to ...

main in concern is the demographic - would we be likely to find other recent retirees or would we be out on a limb?

Thanks for all replies.

Hi all

we are hoping to move out to NSW next summer, and have been considering our options for buying property. We are retired so won't have to consider a commute, but also will have a fixed budget because there will be no mortgage.

we originally thought we would like to settle in Kiama, which is an easy two hour train ride from our daughter in Sydney. However, prices in that area seem to be rocketing and if they continue we will no longer be able to afford it.

We we had originally dismissed the Central Coast as being too quiet, but the property prices round gosford are very appealing. It's no good getting more property for our money if there isn't much of a social hub there, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me a clue about life in and around Gosford/ Woywoy. Ideally we'd like to be on a train line because although we both drive we don't necessarily always want to ...

main in concern is the demographic - would we be likely to find other recent retirees or would we be out on a limb?

I guess it's a similar train journey from The Central Coast to Sydney, perhaps less than Kiama to Sydney, depending where your daughter is living in Sydney. I wouldn't have thought that Gosford itself or even Woy Woy are quieter than Kiama. Is living in Sydney not an option? Perhaps Blue Mountains, Penrith, Campbelltown areas?

Hi all

I guess it's a similar train journey from The Central Coast to Sydney, perhaps less than Kiama to Sydney, depending where your daughter is living in Sydney. I wouldn't have thought that Gosford itself or even Woy Woy are quieter than Kiama. Is living in Sydney not an option? Perhaps Blue Mountains, Penrith, Campbelltown areas?

Thanks Mary Rose, we live by the coast at the moment and want to carry on living by the coast if we can ... Even though it's more expensive.

its not so much about gosford being quiet, as it being potentially full of young commuters... Do people retire there as they do to Kiama I wonder.

Edited by Fisher1

Gosford is the biggest town on the Central Coast but I wouldn't want to live there, frankly. I believe the English expression is chavvy!

It's not easy to find lively towns like Kiama at a reasonable price - most little coastal towns are quiet with not much going on, and the ones that aren't are going to be desirable and therefore pricey.

I don't know the area well, but when I was living in Sydney there was always a lot of advertising for over-55's developments around Lake Macquarie. I don't mean retirement homes - developers get concessions for building houses/villas/townhouses for over-55's only, but they don't have extra fees for support services etc.

The area around Umina and Ettalong could suit you. A fair bit of development has gone on and there is quite a reasonable number of things to get involved in. I have a son who has a business in the area and his in-laws moved up there from Sydney. It is only about 10 minutes to the station in WoyWoy. The population in the area covers the whole range of ages - children to retirees.

Edited by Ellie 2

My parents are a bit further up at Toukley, the nearest stop is Wyong and there's a reasonably fast train into Sydney available. It's a place with retirees and young families, and has everything they need like major shopping areas at Tuggerah with local clubs and amenities, the only downside is because it's on a surf beach the main road gets a bit clogged in summer.

Thanks guys, it's so difficult to know ... We did go to gosford for the day once and weren't particularly impressed but you know, house prices can put a glow on the most unlikely spot! We'll definitely look at toukley and ettalong when we arrive ... We are almost certainly going to rent for a few months first. It's so difficult to find anywhere affordable around Sydney now, and living in a really beautiful town in North Wales makes at the moment makes it difficult to consider moving away from the coast.

Hopefully we'll get the house sold and scrape into Kiama by our bootstraps!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest littlesarah
My favourite place on the Central Coast is Avoca Beach. Don't know how expensive it is now - used to be very reasonable. It's about 25 mins from Gosford.

That's a horribly expensive suburb these days! Prices on the Central Coast rocketed since we got here 7 years ago! Gosford may to improve if the planned developments go ahead, but that's been the case for 20 years so who knows what will happen? East Gosford is quite nice, Erina is still reasonable, and if you're not too concerned about living really close to the beach there are some good value properties in Tumbi Umbi. Long Jetty is also pretty cheap, and on the up, though the best time to buy there has probably passed. Ourimbah is ok too (though a bit too hot/cold for me, and it's one of the easier stations to park at. Oh, Point Clare is nice and has a station too.

Guest littlesarah
That's a horribly expensive suburb these days! Prices on the Central Coast rocketed since we got here 7 years ago! Gosford may to improve if the planned developments go ahead, but that's been the case for 20 years so who knows what will happen? East Gosford is quite nice, Erina is still reasonable, and if you're not too concerned about living really close to the beach there are some good value properties in Tumbi Umbi. Long Jetty is also pretty cheap, and on the up, though the best time to buy there has probably passed. Ourimbah is ok too (though a bit too hot/cold for me, and it's one of the easier stations to park at. Oh, Point Clare is nice and has a station too.

It's only a small suburb, so may not be what you're after, but it's on Brisbane Waters and not too far from the shops at West Gosford.

My husbands parents are retirees living in Terrigal and we have a house there which we are renting out...Gosford has some awful areas to be honest but East Gosford is very up and coming and has some nice shops, Erina and Terrigal are nice but prices are rising all the time. The in-laws met a few people through their golf club.

• 4 weeks later...

My opinion only of course, but living in central Gosford would be the pits. But the areas surrounding it can be nice and even stunningly beautiful. Places like : Pearl Beach, Kincumber, Avoca Beach, Mcmasters Beach, Hardys Bay, Pretty Beach, Killcare Heights and Picketts Valley, to name but a few. And all an easy drive to Sydney or to Sydney from Gosford train station.

I see you mention renting first, which in your position I would say is really important. Six months would be ideal, to settle into Australian life, get over the stress of moving out and really explore the areas you have in mind. Your ideas on what you think you want can change once you're living here.

we spent a lot of time exploring north, and south, of Sydney as 2 of our children are there but as we initially came to Noosa (on holiday and before children came out) we are spoilt & found it difficult to find anywhere that suited us as much. But there are some nice places on central coast. As someone else said the prices are representative of how close you get to Sydney.

my daughters in laws live in/around Lake Macquarie & Newcastle which apparently has some nice areas, but a longer drive to Sydney.

Good luck with the hunt. Just keep reminding yourselves how exciting it is!

• 1 month later...