What suburb?!

Cahill

Guest The Pom Queen

Welcome to the forum. We have a couple of mods who live in Adelaide @snifter @blossom I'm sure they can help, also take a look at the Adelaide forum http://www.pomsinadelaide.com there are some suburb guides on there. If you need short term accommodation when you arrive a lot of our members use @Tamara http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/rentals-available/

Personally I wouldn't go any further south than Flagstaff Hill, or any further north than Golden Grove. West, you can't go too far without falling in the sea, and East you're limited by the Hills. Beyond that you may get cheap housing and proximity to beaches, but the school choices get more limited and in my opinion, anyone who lives too far out of the city to be able to get there in half an hour on public transport cuts themselves off from so many of the things Adelaide has to offer in terms of sport, entertainment, opportunities for kids, nightlife, shows, music and culture.

Just my opinion though! I know plenty of Brits head to the far south, lured by the beaches and cheap house prices, but every time I drive up or down South Road I thank God I am not one of them!

Agree, its very subjective with regards of where to live. Some people love the coast, further down south where its cheaper, others like to be closer to the city where there is a bit more going on or for a quicker/easier commute. Some settle in the east (more pricey) or north eastish (if I have my bearings right without looking at a map). Some western suburbs can be lovely.

Personally, living in a coastal suburb doesn't interest me one bit. We spent the first 7 months living in one of the nicer western city beach suburbs just a few minutes from the beach and while we started off thinking we'd like to settle there long term, over a number of months we realised it didn't suit our wants and needs and so started looking inland. We moved schools also when we moved areas and its was a really good transition and a better school we are in now. Keep an open mind and don't be afraid of moving elsewhere if its the best thing for you.

I tend to agree with Diane re not going any further south than Flagstaff Hill way but that is again personal preference. I'd just about go Happy Valley if it were the right side of it for getting into the city but it can add an extra 10 minutes on to a commute if you travel from the far side. The coastal suburbs further south don't appeal in the least. I do love McLaren Vale (a town in its own right) but for us when we were looking to buy it was just too far out and too far south. Stirling and Bridgewater up in the hills are lovely and we'd have happily bought there if we had found the right house. I like where we are now as it means we have a 25-30 minute travel time to the CBD and can also be east or west within the same time or less. And the southern coastal area is also within easy reach if we ever need it, can be there within 10-15 also. Having said that, most of our activities keep us around here or more easterly or down closer to the city. If we want a beach its Seacliff, Brighton or Glenelg usually.

I tend to agree re work. If you want say no more than a half hour commute or are going to be based in an area, focus on in and around there or a reasonable commuting time. Of course budget is going to come in to it. Rush hour traffic in the more central part of Adelaide is a continual stop start every few hundred metres at traffic lights or so it seems :goofy: You can find plenty of areas with good schools (again, views on what is 'good' are subjective). Also some not so good schools can be in the same areas. Having said that, eastern suburbs tend to have very highly thought of state schools for the most part and some other areas. Further out you go, it can be a bit more hit and miss and perhaps take a bit more to find something you are happy with. Perhaps not.

What do you plan or hope to do for work? Any idea of area of this yet (ie if nursing)? Do you have a preference for beach or inland, closer to city or further out in one of the more outlying suburban areas? What are you looking for in an area, a place to call home and that perhaps can give us a better idea :yes:

• 2 months later...
Personally I wouldn't go any further south than Flagstaff Hill, or any further north than Golden Grove. West, you can't go too far without falling in the sea, and East you're limited by the Hills. Beyond that you may get cheap housing and proximity to beaches, but the school choices get more limited and in my opinion, anyone who lives too far out of the city to be able to get there in half an hour on public transport cuts themselves off from so many of the things Adelaide has to offer in terms of sport, entertainment, opportunities for kids, nightlife, shows, music and culture.

Just my opinion though! I know plenty of Brits head to the far south, lured by the beaches and cheap house prices, but every time I drive up or down South Road I thank God I am not one of them!

South Road is a pain. So are many northern roads like North East road,and Main North roads. Main roads are busy..period.

I have just spent two weeks staying with friends in Flagstaff Hill.

In traffic it takes them longer to get to the airport and city that it takes me to get there from Port Noarlunga.

The southern expressway (now dual flow) is an absoulute godsend. I get from Port Noarlunga to Darlington (Flinders hospital) within 12 miniutes...then I hit the ring of traffic that everyone has to contend with.

It's really interesting to go on google maps and put in directions from different locations. Despite me being further out in Port Noarlunga it only takes a few minutes longer (2 to 16) to get into the city than it does from Heley, Modbury, Hallet Cove, Flagstaff etc...the reason being the free flowing expressway.

It's not how far out you are...it's the road links, speed and traffic congestion that's the issue. We have good road links from the south, high speed and no congestion until we hit Main South road and everyone has their own traffic snarls on the main roads...even those staying close to the city.

It's a miscopnception that increased suburb distance means excessive travel time....the reality is that it's just a few minutes...and not double the commute times that you might expect.! :smile:

• 9 months later...