Cost of living

Pixie77

So we're hopefully heading back to UK in about 6months. Hubbie is transferring so we won't be going back to where were from. Heading to Oxford way & having only visited once I'm trying to get a feel for cost of living. I've looked at right move for houses but utilities? Food prices? No idea where to look. A few people have mentioned Oxford is very expensive (comparable to inner London) especially with the 90 min commute to London now making houses etc increase. So any ideas on utilities for a family of 4? I'm so out of touch now!

So we're hopefully heading back to UK in about 6months. Hubbie is transferring so we won't be going back to where were from. Heading to Oxford way & having only visited once I'm trying to get a feel for cost of living. I've looked at right move for houses but utilities? Food prices? No idea where to look. A few people have mentioned Oxford is very expensive (comparable to inner London) especially with the 90 min commute to London now making houses etc increase. So any ideas on utilities for a family of 4? I'm so out of touch now!

Compare the Market now gives quotes for utilities and phone/internet providers as well as insurance.

Food prices have dropped a lot due to competition over the last few years, plenty of well known supermarkets in Oxford selling the same brands as anywhere else in the country at the same prices. You only have to go online at say asda and the price of goods in Oxford is exactly the same as the prices in Newcastle. internet is cheap due again to competition, I have 65mb super fast broadband unlimited with phone calls for £15 a month.

Edited by Perthbum

For food prices go on to asda or tesco or waitrose (use a similar to the type of supermarket you use already) and put in a usual shop. Prices will slightly rise or lower due to specials but a good way to get a feel.

Alternatively, go onto mysupermarket.co.uk and do a shop comparison there.

Moneysavingexpert is a good place to compare and research housing and utilities etc..

We certainly find food prices cheaper, some things marginally and other significantly, also we find generally the quality and selection is better.

There is a lot of competition with internet, phone etc. We have unlimited fibre optic broadband and pay something like £25 including phone line and calls.

Electricity is cheaper as is gas. Most of the comparison sites will give you a good idea of roughly what you are looking at spending.

We pay more here for rates and fuel but less for insurance and the equivalent of car registration.

All the best with your move.

I worked at the hospital in Oxford, and lived in Bicester, which is about 12 miles away, for 3 years until Jan 2016. Food prices are not the same unfortunately. You will notice that they are ever so slightly more. Evidently, Oxford is now one of the most expensive place to buy and live. Even Bicester is getting expensive now that is has two train stations to London. Gas and electric for two of us in a 2 bedroom mid terrace 1950s house was about £150 per month. We did like to have a toasty house though. We found that your standard Tesco extra was a lot smaller than say the one in Bristol/Preston/Stockport, but I believe that's due to Oxford's restrictive planning regulations. The Tesco in Abingdon is much larger, and I hear they're building a bigger one in Bicester.

I'm from just outside Oxford, having lived there from age 7 to age 36-ish!

I can't say I noticed the cost of food, but did most of my big grocery shops in Abingdon anyway. The smaller Tesco Metro and Sainsbury Locals, will always be a bit more expensive.

The biggest downer with Oxford and surrounding areas is the price of housing - rental and buying. It really is painfully expensive, not helped by planning restrictions, student housing, University owned land etc. It used to be that Abingdon, Witney, Didcot were much better value, but they are shooting up in price, as people are squeezed out of Oxford itself + Oxford, Didcot and Bicester are all within train commute of London (not particularly good fun though!) so tend to attract people from London / on London salary, for those reasons.

Bicester is a bit more reasonable I believe, but haven't checked in a while now. Has a few big new-ish housing estates.

Might be worth looking at Newbury or Reading, depending on husband's job location.

Edited by vickyplum