Gross vs nett shipping allowances

Cobertizo

I was hoping I might be able to get a sense-check on something, please... I'm looking to ship the contents of my flat from the UK to Sydney, and am fortunate enough to have an agreed relocation allowance of 6 cubic metres from my soon-to-be employer.

The relocation company has now done a quote for the shipping, and has said that a 6cbm allowance actually only fits 4.5cbm of stuff in reality, as they will case the items together for the ship, and after that it works out as the larger size on the ship.

On the one hand that sort of makes sense to me, but on the other hand I wonder if I'm just getting short-changed. Is this how it normally works?

Wow, 6cm3 isn't very much at all.

A standard 2 bed unit move is about 20m3. A medium size fridge is about 1m3 to give you an idea.

Not sure about the gross v nett ration but there is always some shrinkage. I think a standard 20 foot container is about 37m3 (if filled with sand) but may only take 30m3 of furniture etc depending on the shape, size and packing.