Is shipping whisky collection worth it?

LadyBlaze

You can't bring opened bottles. You could bring the unopened ones but unless they are really expensive or hard to come by ones I'd not bother. You'd pay tax on them, can't remember how much. Drink them or give them to family and friends as parting gifts. Most of the usual suspect of whisky can be bought here.

We restocked over time after moving here and tbh some of the bottles we've had for a few years now and not gotten to opening yet. We keep two we do drink and both are widely available in the UK and Aus so was no point shipping bottles when we moved. We gave them to friends who we knew would appreciate them.

As others have said, you can't bring opened bottles, but I'd disagree with them on it not being worth it to bring the full bottles. The tax you have to pay to import the bottles is the same tax you have to pay if you buy the bottles here in Australia - it's not going to cost you any more (and if you regard what you've already paid as a sunk cost it'll be cheaper because you'll be buying the whisky and paying tax not just paying the tax). The one exception is if you buy at duty free on the way in (but you're limited to 2.25litres per adult and the duty free shops generally charge a higher mark up so you don't save the full amount of the tax). You could also choose to pack some bottles in your luggage instead of buying duty free - but the weight would take away from the rest of your baggage allowance which you're sure to need for something else and if you have to pay excess baggage you won't be saving anything.

Edited by Ken

My hubby has a big collection that we brought with us, around 12 bottles. We had them airfreighted with our shipping company as our "free incentive" to ship with them. The tax was around $600-$700. I can't remember the exact amount without digging out the receipt but it was expensive. For us it wasn't about the value or saving money it was more the fact that we have some rare ones and some sentimental ones from special occasions (wedding ect) that could not easliy be replaced in Aus.

I would say if its a cost saving thing then don't bother as the tax pushes the price of the whisky up and over what you would pay here in the shops. If you have unusal ones then bring them, the choice here is quite limited and you can only really get the big named main brands.

Also as a PP mentioned, utilise the duty free allowance. We had an extra five bottles (the most expensive ones as the tax is calculated on the value of the whisky) packed in our case to help soften the blow :laugh:

Edited by M1cha3la