Centerlink newly arrived status?

Alycat

Hello! Just wondering if anyone has any information about what Centerlink means by 'newly arrived residents'?

I'm trying to see if we can qualify for a low income healthcare card and it says on residency requirements that 'newly arrived generally have a 104 week waiting period'.

I'm an Australian citizen and my husband is a permanent resident. I've been living away from Oz for the past 9 years. Am I considered 'newly arrived'?

I thought I would be more like a returning resident... I'm hoping someone can shed some light, as I can't see anything on the centre link site that defines it.

Can anyone confirm that PR & citizens can claim family tax benefit and rent assistance straight away once arrived in Oz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you can claim family tax benefit immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure you can claim the low income health card as soon as you arrive back. I've not read all the blurb but the waiting period and other things suggest there is a defined period of time you need to have been back resident in the country.

I came over with my Aus husband and on a partner visa and we never tried to claim it or anything else other than the family tax benefits. Didn't even consider it tbh as we used our savings, stayed with family for a bit to save on rent and started working asap after arriving.