Up up and away....Australia here we come!!

maryannen

Thought I'd post an update on my trio of Huskies.... They had their last vet checks and the last paperwork the export health certificates issued the other day. They left this morning from their UK front door for their short road trip up to Manchester Airport....I took a little snap of them just after they were loaded into the back of the pet transport van (1st pic below)....Their road transport was provided by Manchester Pet Care on behalf of Animal Airlines ...and they were just brilliant, turned up exactly when they said they would , were very friendly and great handling of my trio.

onrouteairport.jpg

Next stop was Manchester Airport and them being transferred into their actual custom built crates for their plane trips.

Animal Airlines, my UK pet transporters were waiting for them on arrival at Emirates cargo, and after transferring my trio into their crates they snapped these pics of them just before they got taken through. I can't thank Animal Airlines enough for all their efforts, Mike has been just fabulous all the way, ....was so pleased to get these beautiful pics, the link to track my trio, and the multiple phone calls to keep me up to date with everything today.

DSC_7034.jpg

All went really well and as I write this in the Uk evening my trio's flight has just touched down in Dubai for their 10 hour stopover there , and will then be put on their next flight to Melbourne in the morning.

Hope you enjoy the pics, my trio have been so good so far hope the last legs of their trip are also smooth ....I hope they might help reassure some people too about their own pets future travel plans too...will update this thread as I can :smile:

cheers Mary-Anne

DSC_7040.jpg

DSC_7036.jpg

onrouteairport.jpg

DSC_7040.jpg

DSC_7036.jpg

DSC_7034.jpg

Edited by maryannen

Update.... the trio have now left Dubai after their overnight stay, and are currently winging their way safely on board 'Husky Force One' :wink:aka on board with Emirates Airline...as I type being tracked heading out over the Arabian Sea at 35,000 ft and flying due south....next stop Melbourne Tullamarine where they will be met and collected by Australian Quarantine for their short drive to the Mickleham facility.

cheers Mary-Anne

Thanks everyone definitely a relieved mum this morning. The trio arrived safe and sound jetted in to Melbourne arriving around 8.30pm last night UK time, or 5.30 am Melbourne time (and yes....I was watching their flight and talking to the screen as they came in to land on flight radar lol ). Had confirmation from Emirates that they had arrived , that they had released them to quarantine and handed over their documents .... and I woke up this morning to find three confirmation emails from Australian Quarantine at Mickleham that they now have them tucked in safe and sound. Can now fly out myself tomorrow evening a very happy excited mum and enjoy my own trip home ....Will be counting down the days until their release date, their final road trip to their new home, and of course keep you all updated. Will post some more pics when they have arrived in their new home :smile:

I have to give some huge thanks to my UK vets Littlecroft Vets, APHA, Manchester Pet Care, Animal Airlines, Dubai Animal Centre, and Emirates Airline. It's been a smooth and safe journey all the way from the UK to Australia and this mum is very grateful to them all.

cheers Mary-Anne

Edited by maryannen

Happy Husky Mum ....the trio passed all their checks, everything was fine, and have been notified yesterday by Australian quarantine that they will be released this coming monday. Have booked their release appointment and confirmed their transport home ...will be pacing looking up the street to see the transport van come down the road to our new home :)

cheers Mary-Anne

So good to read your experience as we will be taking our Alaskan malamute with us when we go.

Glad it helped, your Mal is gorgeous :) I've been busy getting their new kennels painted (converting a former large wooden kids cubby house), getting all their gear... food bedding bowls toys brushes, etc and getting the higher fences underway. They will be home before the permanent fencing is all up but the guy doing it had a brilliant brain wave and has put up some temporary builders fencing until it's all completed. So they will be safe and sound until it's all done in around two weeks time.

One more day to go until they trio arrive home at last ....can't wait to see them :)

Cheers Mary-Anne

Quick update ...apologies about the delay. Have had a couple of fraught days ...my trio came home as planned Monday. That trip went smoothly and they arrived before lunch. Pet express transport bought them home safely and swiftly ....can't thank them enough for looking after them all considering a problem had developed suddenly they were so good taking great care of my babies..... Unfortunately one of mine fell ill on the last day of quarantine and the vet had to be called in to see her there ...she was given treatment and allowed to be transported home on monday...the vet advised me to take her for a follow up once home. She was still unwell and I took her back to the local vets yesterday...she is still with them and still undergoing treatment. She has been producing bloody stools so lots of things being looked at to identify the exact problem. Looking unlikely to be an obstruction or a parasite ....of course she's well up to date on all vaccinations and more likely to be a bleeding ulcer which could have been bough ton by stress and change in diet. On the bright side she is in good hands and otherwise in very good condition ...she has no temp no vomiting and is bright alert and responsive ...she does however have some pain in the caudal area and has no appetite. All of which are being monitored around the clock ...hoping she recovers soon ...as you can imagine I'm worried sick about her. Will update when I can

cheers Mary-Anne

Edited by maryannen

Thinking of you as I know how worrying it is. But sure she will be fine.

Our little fella gets bloody stools as well and it turned out to be a severe form of piles. He will be fine but has to take a laxative every day for ever. But, doesn't bother him in the slightest - in fact, because he gets a treat to hide it, I thinkhe likes them lol

Hi All,

Thanks for the good thoughts ...am happy to report my Meeka is now back home safe and sound. She has recovered very well, looks like it was a gastro intestinal bleed.. probably bought on by a combination of stress and the changed food. She responded really well to the veterinary treatment and is now symptom free ...picked her up this afternoon and she's full of beans :)meekahome.jpg

Cheers a very relieved Mary-Anne

meekahome.jpg

I think the dry food in quarantine maybe does not help -Ralphy looks like he has piles since we got him home

Hope all turns out well

Yes I think so too ...it appears so with Meeka she just didn't process the food well at all. Quarantine did report that she was being a picky eater ...which was totally unlike her...will be getting her back to her usual food and vets have told me they do not expect a reoccurence ...huge relief

Might be worth getting a vet to have a look see at Ralphy too ...have heard the sudden appearance of something looking like piles can be a response to a changed diet.

cheers Mary-Anne

Yes I think so too ...it appears so with Meeka she just didn't process the food well at all. Quarantine did report that she was being a picky eater ...which was totally unlike her...will be getting her back to her usual food and vets have told me they do not expect a reoccurence ...huge relief

Might be worth getting a vet to have a look see at Ralphy too ...have heard the sudden appearance of something looking like piles can be a response to a changed diet.

cheers Mary-Anne

Going to vets this week Maryannen as I want Ralphys microchip recorded so we can get him registered etc

So pleased Meeka is all good now Ralphy is bulking out now - when I think about it he did have dry food as a pup but often mixed with yoghurt or sardines in oil or water Guessing quarantine food is very bland ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Patphillips47

Aww bless him :) Yes I have to register my trio too, I have all their microchip numbers must change the details too on the register, but not in a huge rush I looked up the council rules for dogs coming from overseas and I've got 6 months after they arrive to do that. I can do it down at my local library so will get that done when I can.

I am pretty damn sure as in 99.9 % that the dry food given was a large part of the problem with Meeka, the other part being the stress of the big move. I was told by quarantine that they had given her Advance Dog Food which yes is a dry diet only. My trio are usually on a mix of dry and wet food, and they are not usually on Advance, they have either Purina Pro Plan or Eukanuba dry food with plenty of water. Meeka is eating and drinking normally now with no side effects now she is back on her usual food. She is bouncing around like nothing happened and they are all regaining any weight loss.

It would appear that something in the Advance dog food disagreed with Meeka's gut and caused a bleed and the problems with her rear...interestingly enough both Snowy and Asil were absolutely fine so am summising that one or two ingredient in that Advance food must have affected Meeka only and perhaps she didn't drink enough water to aid with the digestion of the food.....it doesn't seem to be something that affects all dogs ....as if that were the case all 3 would have become ill. She is still on her remaining tablets which have a few more days to run but she looks back to normal ...the vets do not expect her to have any sort of reoccurence and unless there is any change don't need to see her even for a follow up ...she really is that good ...will just make sure she stays away completely from Advance dog food !!

Have seen problems can arise when weaning pups onto solid foods (have had a few calls from new owners when they were changing their new pups diets and suddenly were confronted with runny poos instead of solid....I'd always tell them to call me if they had any concerns about the pups as I'm always happy to give them some advice) and similarly with grown dogs ...any change of diet should always be a gradual process with a little of the new food mixed in with the old food and gradually increasing the amount of new whilst reducing the old. Unfortunately there is no such luxury whilst dogs are in quarantine, am not really sure what they could do about that issue ...as sudden dietary changes can cause issues with some dogs sounds like both your Ralphy and my Meeka were the unlucky ones. I think it's worth getting him checked over by the vets and do mention the change in diet as that's an important factor the vet needs to be aware of when assessing him. Let me know how it goes :)

cheers Mary-Anne