deciding whether to bring our dog

RebeccaMatt

We have a beautiful long haired collie (a lassie dog lol) . We've got a lot of quotes on how much it would cost us to bring her to Oz. If we decided to bring her it would mean another year of saving just to pay for her travel , and we would be renting so we imagine it would be difficult to find somewhere to let us have her.

It would be heartbreaking to leave her behind , we got her as a friend for our animal loving son when he was old enough to crawl (we didn't think it would cost so much to bring her with us) and they are best friends. It breaks our heart to imagine separating them.

Would it be cruel to bring her being such a fluffy dog (were moving to Queensland) ? I don't like the idea of her travelling either, I'm worried it would be too much for such a young dog. I'd feel so guilty for making my son leave his best bud behind :( any advice? (I ask a lot of questions on this forum, I really appreciate the advice! :))

Cats and dogs manage perfectly well in Australia and there is no reason that yours will not adapt just as you will. It is also perfectly possible to find a rental with a pet, you wouldn't think so from reading the forums, it was the thing that terrified me most when we were moving, but it was no problem whatsoever. Landlords don't tend to shout out that they are looking for families with pets, but most will consider it and a small minority will say no to pets.

I just brought my Aussie born cat back to UK, in January, I think he was a bit cold, wouldn't go outside until it warmed up a bit. Certainly I never thought we should have left him behind because he seemed to be noticing the colder climate!

My older sister would love to take her, but she has a lot of kids and two other dogs so it would be a big change for her and I'm not sure it would be fair to hand her over to such a big family . I'm thinking she could maybe go with her temporarily though until we get ourselves sorted and then bring her over. I don't really want to spend another year on top of the year were already waiting on saving so we can bring her but I'd rather do that than take her away from my son as he's an only child she really is his best friend

If we could get a rental that would allow us to have her it would be great , I think that's my husbands main worry. My friend left her dog behind because she was worried about the heat that's what got me thinking about it because she is much bigger and fluffier than hers but maybe she just worried a bit too much ..

We are making the move over to Queensland with are dog (3 year old Jack Russell). It does seem quite costly shipping her out but at the end of the day she's part of our family, think my wife would rather leave me behind before the dog....lol. We are also looking at rentals there are a few about but does seem much more difficult with a pet.

I wish you guys good luck with your move, hope it all works out well.

Alan

I'm in the same boat. I have two dogs that are my babies but I'm worried about the travelling & then settling in. They don't cope great in uk 'warm' weather!

Its a lot of money and my husband doesn't want to take them for that reason, but its not the money for me - just whether its fairer to leave them here with family. Such a tough decision x

Two dogs here and both nearly 13. I think they are too old to bring and feel we will be selfish if we being them but they will be hard to re home too. I don't know what we are going to do :-( i just got a quote from Dublin and was told they have to go to quarantine in Melbourne anyone know anything about that? Anyone know if pet air uk have a partner in Ireland?

When we recently moved back to the UK leaving the dog wasn't even an option as he is part of the family and loves the cooler weather here. My advice is find the money.

Mine too. Obviously it is a lot of money, but within the grand scheme of migration, it is just a fraction.

When we moved to Australia it was still 30 days quarantine and being reunited with the pets at the end of that was one of the great days of the whole process. They arrived and brought with them a whole sense of normality and comfort. I don't think the settling in really started for us until they arrived and after a couple of hours of wandering around sniffing everything, they were ok too.

Disagree with most. I love my dogs, past and present, and was a member of border collie rescue back in the Uk and had as many as 7 dogs at a time..............3 of ours we left behind..............dogs are dogs............they ain't human and as much as you may be attached to them, if they impeach on human comfort/stability/financial security, then let 'em go............as long as you know they'll be ok, that's all that matters. You cannot allow anything to impact the financial hardship/sacrifice that emigrating entails unless you really want to. Reading between the lines, it's like you know what I say is right but you're looking for confirmation/forgiveness......don't beat yourself up if you think others will judge you for it or because it's based on financial consideration.........forget it.............it's a personal choice and whatever you do, as long as the dog has a good home when you leave, that's all that can be expected of you..............Dogs are social animals and will adapt to new owners in less than two weeks......as much as you will be thinking about your dog, you will be forgotten by him/her, so don't beat yourself up about it.....we'd never have got here if we had considered the dogs coming with us..........we needed every cent we could get

dray1-1_zpsa96fe5ae.jpg

Mine too. Obviously it is a lot of money, but within the grand scheme of migration, it is just a fraction.

When we moved to Australia it was still 30 days quarantine and being reunited with the pets at the end of that was one of the great days of the whole process. They arrived and brought with them a whole sense of normality and comfort. I don't think the settling in really started for us until they arrived and after a couple of hours of wandering around sniffing everything, they were ok too.

I think our kids would have had me stay in Australia and send the dog if it had come down to a choice lol.

Yes the first few days were very busy for our dog, so many different smells and sights.

Disagree with most. I love my dogs, past and present, and was a member of border collie rescue back in the Uk and had as many as 7 dogs at a time..............3 of ours we left behind..............dogs are dogs............they ain't human and as much as you may be attached to them, if they impeach on human comfort/stability/financial security, then let 'em go............as long as you know they'll be ok, that's all that matters. You cannot allow anything to impact the financial hardship/sacrifice that emigrating entails unless you really want to. Reading between the lines, it's like you know what I say is right but you're looking for confirmation/forgiveness......don't beat yourself up if you think others will judge you for it or because it's based on financial consideration.........forget it.............it's a personal choice and whatever you do, as long as the dog has a good home when you leave, that's all that can be expected of you..............Dogs are social animals and will adapt to new owners in less than two weeks......as much as you will be thinking about your dog, you will be forgotten by him/her, so don't beat yourself up about it.....we'd never have got here if we had considered the dogs coming with us..........we needed every cent we could get

dray1-1_zpsa96fe5ae.jpg

See , this sounds exactly like something my husband would say lol he's been the one getting the quotes and the way he sees it , why spend that amount of money on bringing the dog when the dog could be happy here. Its a huge amount of money and if we had the money he would rather it went into our sons bank account for his future than spend it bringing the dog he'll have forgotten about within a week . I agree with him here, such a large amount of money would be better kept for our sons future (that's if we had that kind of money to put away) .

Its been a big discussion between us whether it is worth bringing the dog or not. My childhood dog died this morning and that's what has got me worrying about how my son would be affected if we told him he had to leave his dog behind. But I think you have a very good point here , and he won't remember the dog and she would be well looked after by our family here. Dogs are a big part of the family, but they are here for a short time and putting our whole lives on hold to try and save the money to bring her after struggling to gather up every penny we have already would be silly

We have a beautiful long haired collie (a lassie dog lol) . We've got a lot of quotes on how much it would cost us to bring her to Oz. If we decided to bring her it would mean another year of saving just to pay for her travel , and we would be renting so we imagine it would be difficult to find somewhere to let us have her.

It would be heartbreaking to leave her behind , we got her as a friend for our animal loving son when he was old enough to crawl (we didn't think it would cost so much to bring her with us) and they are best friends. It breaks our heart to imagine separating them.

Would it be cruel to bring her being such a fluffy dog (were moving to Queensland) ? I don't like the idea of her travelling either, I'm worried it would be too much for such a young dog. I'd feel so guilty for making my son leave his best bud behind :( any advice? (I ask a lot of questions on this forum, I really appreciate the advice! :))

Hi

Thought I would you let you know our story. We have a working border collie 9 yrs old who is now too old to work as she suffers with arthritis. We are waiting for our parent visas so won't be heading off to Oz until next year. Our beautiful border collie has problems with hot weather, gets allergies and is only used to living outdoors. We reluctantly came to the conclusion that we would not be able to take her to Oz. She would never have survived quarantine.So what could we do?

Well the cut to the chase a miracle happened. the parents of a work colleague had recently lost their dog to old age and were considering re homing an older dog. Well after a lot of meetings, walks etc our beautiful dog has been rehomed to a couple who will love and cherish her to her dying day. We have shed many a tear over the last few weeks at having to give her up but we know that she is loved and cared for and very happy. We are regularly updated with photos and news and still feel part of her life.

we shall never forget her but feel that we have done our best for her. Emigrating is not easy, some decisions are really difficult to make. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Julie

See , this sounds exactly like something my husband would say lol he's been the one getting the quotes and the way he sees it , why spend that amount of money on bringing the dog when the dog could be happy here. Its a huge amount of money and if we had the money he would rather it went into our sons bank account for his future than spend it bringing the dog he'll have forgotten about within a week . I agree with him here, such a large amount of money would be better kept for our sons future (that's if we had that kind of money to put away) .

Its been a big discussion between us whether it is worth bringing the dog or not. My childhood dog died this morning and that's what has got me worrying about how my son would be affected if we told him he had to leave his dog behind. But I think you have a very good point here , and he won't remember the dog and she would be well looked after by our family here. Dogs are a big part of the family, but they are here for a short time and putting our whole lives on hold to try and save the money to bring her after struggling to gather up every penny we have already would be silly

Exactly Beccy.................as much as it sounds hard and cruel, your dog will soon relinquish any thoughts of you as long as it has another "pack" Those who "have a few bob" may have the luxury of not leaving thier pets behind............but they are just that, pets, and you cannot allow them to detract from your life. Others may see that shipping them is adding to their life, and it may well be, but is that more about their " need to not abandon" or perhaps for fear of being judged, than it is about the pet's welfare?

It comes down to how you view your dog. As an easily replaced commodity or a member of the family.

If you have had numerous dogs like johndoe you might lean towards the former.

Only a decision you can make.

It sounds like you have decided and rest assured you will be able to get a lovely similar dog in Queensland if you want to buy another.

We have found a rental no problem at all - sorted it out from UK with 3 cats. Cats may be a little easier than dogs. One tip - don't search for properties that allow pets, do general search and then review the small print. Most do say pets considered on application but those properties won't come up if you search the other way. Costing us a fortune to bring the cats but I know its the right decision.

Hi, my pooch is in the final stages of his export tests, due to fly out to land in Sydney on the 24th July!! It is very costly as it is also dependent on the size of the dog from transporting and then you factor the quarantine costs on top. Also bear in mind that all quarantine is being moved to Melbourne from about October so there will be the ontravel costs which I would think would be included in your quote, but just check it out and make sure that you are quoted for quarantine (10 days @ $149 + GST (tax to you and me). All in for Colin (2 year old Staffie), it has cost in the region of $7500 dollars to get him out here and thats before securing a rental property - I am going through this at the moment in Sydney so will keep you posted. He's my baby so non negotiable, but to put it in perspective never even spent that much on buying a car in the UK haha! I suppose it really does depend on what it going to make you happier in the long run and what is right for you? For me, Sydney won't feel like home until he is here so it is money well spent. However don't get me wrong, I have thought a few times that I must be crazy and that that money would have helped in other ways once I got here, particularly as my fiance has had to delay him coming until November (I've been here since end of January). I am also on a 457 visa so here for at least 4 years, I have said that he won't be leaving Australia though lol! Good luck, I know its a tough decision.

We had a Jack Russell and a Parsons Terrier in the UK, carried out most of the preparations to bring them out but after costs escalated to $13,200, we made the sad decision to rehome. However the Parsons is now with my son and the Jack is with a close friend, both are thriving in their new homes and from the photos and reports we receive, they are not missing us one bit!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that if you can find your dog a good home in UK with someone you can trust then that is a really good option. If it is the case of putting them in a homing centre and taking their chances, then that is not so fair on the dog.

If your sister has kids and 2 dogs already she is hardly going to notice another one:)

• 1 month later...

Our long haired German Shepherd has now lived in 3 different countries. Yes it is very expensive to fly him around, but he is a part of our family, and we would never consider leaving him (OH would rather leave me behind than the dog lol ). As mentioned already, we have never found finding a rental on arrival to be an issue.