Dog failed E Canis test

KLexpat

Just looking for some advice because my pet handler and vet in Malaysia aren't experienced with this. He was due to fly out to Sydney from Singapore last Monday but at the last minute before I boarded my own flight I received a text from our pet handler telling me he had failed the test. That is another story as it shouldn't have been left until then to get the results.

The numbers mean nothing to me on the lab results. At the higher dilution he is negative. He is now on Doxycycline and the vet in Malaysia tells me we can retest in 4 weeks. However his partner vet is saying not to bother testing for 6 months!! I know the antibodies can linger for that long but I'm hopeful we can sort this long before then. At 550 AUD a pop for testing we can't afford to do it multiple times.

He is currently staying with our very kind neighbour but she can't keep him for 6 months.

Wondering if others have been through the same and can advise on what our next steps should be. I spoke with Quarantine who were lovely and said just to keep them updated.

I plan to visit a vet here in Sydney to get their opinion. Feeling very worried and lost. I have never even seen a tick on our dog. He was regularly frontlined too. He is a beautiful Boxer and very much part of our family. Our kids have grown up with him and adore him. This news has taken off some of the shine from

our final arrival in Sydney and we're anxious to be reunited with him.

Edited by KLexpat
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...