Flying dog internally after leaving quarantine

bobby122

Hi guys, our dog is arriving into Sydney quarantine but we need to get him to Tasmania. How do we go about flying him internally? Use a third party or can we do it ourselves? Is it costly? (he is a very large dog) Alternatively we could drive him the 9 hours or so to Melbourne then go over on the ferry I guess. Anyone any experiences?

Guest The Pom Queen

Firstly you have Jet Pets who will do a door to door delivery, so they will pick up,from quarantine and bring to your house in Tas. Now I did a quote myself for this 5 years ago which was Melbourne to Cairns and it came back at $900. If it is around this it may be cheaper for you to fly him accompanied using virgin, this cost us $40 back then but I believe prices have gone up. For a dog between 20-30kg you are looking at $100 http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/plan/special-needs-assistance/pets/#fees-and-charges

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks, interesting Qantas only seems to ship pets up to a weight of 65kg including the crate. Our dog is a great dane and weighs more than that.

Ignore my post then as virgin Max is 65kg

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks, its a shame as flying seems easier option, although a road/ferry trip sounds fun. I will message Jet Pets on the off chance

Which airline is he coming in on?

Guest The Pom Queen

Also try Dogtainers. I'm off to sleep now as it's 2am but I'm happy to ring them for you if you want. Just send me a pm with weight and I can call tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Been researching this a bit more, and looks like we may have a problem.

The dog can't fly domestically cos he is too heavy.

The largest kennel on Spirit of Tas is 1.08m high, 0.9m deep, and 0.8m wide.

The horse shippers can't help because they obviously only make the journey when carrying a horse and they can't transport a dog and a horse together.

There MUST be a way to get a large dog to Tasmania, surely?!!

Been researching this a bit more, and looks like we may have a problem.

The dog can't fly domestically cos he is too heavy.

The largest kennel on Spirit of Tas is 1.08m high, 0.9m deep, and 0.8m wide.

The horse shippers can't help because they obviously only make the journey when carrying a horse and they can't transport a dog and a horse together.

There MUST be a way to get a large dog to Tasmania, surely?!!

Can't you ask the horse shippers to do a trip just for the dog? I'm sure they'll charge you a "bit" extra for the pleasure so it's not as if they'll be missing out!

EDIT: or you could hire a van?

Edited by vickyplum

Can't you ask the horse shippers to do a trip just for the dog? I'm sure they'll charge you a "bit" extra for the pleasure so it's not as if they'll be missing out!

EDIT: or you could hire a van?

Yes, looks like we will have to end up doing one of these 2 options, the things we do for our pets!