Should we bring our dog?? Advice needed

busymumof3

Hi All,

We are hoping to move to South Perth next June/July and have been planning on bringing our dog, however as time goes on I have been getting a number of doubts about it. He is very similar to a Red Setter although black but same size and long hair, he is quite nervous and aside from the actual flight I'm really worried about trying to find a rental property. I've read some threads about putting a portfolio together and we are happy to pay any sort of bond but it still worries me, how did you all get on with finding a rental with a large dog?

I do also wonder if we are bringing him for selfish reasons because we simply don't want to leave him behind. He is not great in the summer in the UK and his favorite place to be is in the forest, we walk for a good few hours every day through forests and fields and from what I understand dog walking in Oz is quite restricted to dog parks and dog beaches. I don't want to confine him to inside a house with air-con when he is has so much energy and I'm really worried about the effect the heat will have on him.

On the other side though the move will be such a huge upheaval on our kids that I think it would break their hearts to leave him behind and he would really help them settle.

I feel really confused about this, any advice or hearing other people's experiences would really help.

Thanks all

julie x

We gave our dog (he was about 11year old then) to the milk man, he had a small holding, not long after we left Mrs milkman fell down at her farm and broke her leg, Patch sat by her side barking for someone's attention then growled at the ambo's to warn them off in trying to protect her. We were sad to leave him but felt it would be more cruel to move him, especially due to his age, but we feel we would have come to the same decision whatever age. Cats I would have just put them down, better all-round that way!

Tree are lots of places to walk the dog. You can't walk in the forests during summer due to snakes, but we go off to dwellingup - a huge forest South of perth and walk there in winter. In summer, we mainly go to the beach. Some of these dog beaches such as the one near us is huge and plenty of space for fun.

Regards heat, dogs cope. You just need to adapt a bit. We do longer walks in the summer early and then later in the day to avoid the worst of the heat. Though he does like to go in the garden and sun bathe during the summer.

We also buy doggy sun screen. If we go to the beach for our fun during summer, he comes with us and lays under the parasol. Though many dogs like to play in the water.

There are many ways of helping keep them cool. We give ours ice cubes and put and ice cube in his water.

I do also wonder if we are bringing him for selfish reasons because we simply don't want to leave him behind.

Of course you're bringing him for selfish reasons, everybody does! Yes, dogs bond with their owners but they do adapt well to new owners provided they get love and affection, so you're certainly not doing it for his sake.

Rental apartments don't allow dogs but if you have kids you'll be looking for a house anyway, and houses are usually less restrictive. You might have a challenge finding short-term accommodation that will take him, so the best solution might be to ask relatives to look after him for a few weeks and send him out once you're settled.

He sounds like a big energetic dog that needs lots of exercise. He will adapt - the question is, will you? You'll need to be prepared for very early morning walks in summer: by the time it's cooled down enough to walk in the evening, it's dark. Woodland walks are a bit risky for dogs due to snakes, so it will be parks and beaches.

Wouldn't worry about finding a rental, its not an issue really. We got one having two labs. Be prepared to put down a dog bond.

your other concerns are pretty much spot on, no romping thru the woods, restricted to parks and beaches. I miss the woods and so do my doggies.

But on the whole Perth is dog friendly, lots of eating and drinking places where dogs are welcome.

You and the dog will need to adjust during the heat, but its only really an issue during dec, jan and feb.

I believe you will be happier bringing your dog

Thanks everyone, I feel much happier after reading your posts and have decided to stop worrying and bring him with us. We are going to leave him with friends whilst we find somewhere to rent as suggested. He has already had his rabies jab and due to have a blood test next week, I was just really worried if we were doing the right thing, you've all helped put my mind at rest - thank you x

I would just fly him with you. He has to do 10 days in quarantine anyway and finding a place is very doable in that time in the current market.

Should have said as well, Perth is not that hot. It is for 3 months. But the rest isn't. It is mid spring here now, and still plenty of overcast / rain days. Major heat won't start till December and be over by March.

• 1 month later...

I believe quarantine in Perth is currently closed, and you would have to fly him via Sydney.

We flew our cat via Sydney to Brisbane....if you do it, don't try to do everything on your own. It is very stressful!

We love both our cats (one pom and one aussie) and they come with us however selfish that seems 0 although unlikely we will move back in the medium term.

You do what you need to do at the end of the day!

If you have an option to leave your dog with a willing relative or trusted friend, I would consider that too.

We gave our dog (he was about 11year old then) to the milk man, he had a small holding, not long after we left Mrs milkman fell down at her farm and broke her leg, Patch sat by her side barking for someone's attention then growled at the ambo's to warn them off in trying to protect her. We were sad to leave him but felt it would be more cruel to move him, especially due to his age, but we feel we would have come to the same decision whatever age. Cats I would have just put them down, better all-round that way!

Not a cat lover then @Keith and Linda !

They would have the left the dog whatever age too so not huge animal lovers no.

We are bringing 2 cats and 1 dog. The horse was coming too before it had to be PTS on the operating table. I wouldn't be coming if I had to leave the pets behind.

In fairness, despite my flippant comment, I understand the rationale completely. It's a matter of separating what's best for the pet vs. what the humans want to do, to avoid feeling guilty about said pet. Yes Fido or Whiskers will be sad for a few days, but if they've gone to a caring home, they will be no worse off, maybe a little better off as they did not have to adapt to the new climate/wildlife that bites, etc.

I love all animals (welll, most of them) but do not have any pets due to living situation (second floor apartment and working full-time) and also the emotional factor!

In fairness, despite my flippant comment, I understand the rationale completely. It's a matter of separating what's best for the pet vs. what the humans want to do, to avoid feeling guilty about said pet. Yes Fido or Whiskers will be sad for a few days, but if they've gone to a caring home, they will be no worse off, maybe a little better off as they did not have to adapt to the new climate/wildlife that bites, etc.

I love all animals (welll, most of them) but do not have any pets due to living situation (second floor apartment and working full-time) and also the emotional factor!

We have a rescue dog which never wants to leave our side. She spends a lot of time with parents but the reaction when she sees us is totally different. She is also very unsure of strangers (particularly men). One of my cats follows me everywhere, (even to the shop unless I lock her in). Different pets and owners have different relationships I guess.

Putting it rationally, I am certain that my pets would rather spend 10 days in quarantine and then be back with us as opposed to spending months / years trying to build a whole new relationship with new people looking after them.

All of our pets appear to like summer best so I am sure they will be fine in a warmer climate. You are correct about the wildlife though - the risk of snakes etc is my only fear for the cats. They have spent their life only going outdoors during daylight though so again the change will not be too drastic.

Putting a cat down (as the last poster said) is not going to be best for anybody is it (apart from to save the owner hassle). We could leave the dog behind with parents but the dog would not benefit from the same level of outdoor off-lead activity that we provide and that is what she enjoys best.

I see plenty of "pet lovers" on facebook who then move and put it up for adoption because the new property does not allow pets. If you were a pet lover you would find a home that did allow a dog / cat rather than conveniently palm it off to somebody else.

No doubt others will/can justify leaving their pets behind though.

I missed the 2nd part. You can be an animal lover and not have pets if your circumstances do not allow it - and it is better than getting a pet if you are stuck floors up and always out at work. We are going to have to get a dog walker for when we are at work although we will be moving with walking distance of one our jobs to minimise issues like this.

We decided that our dog comes with us, but we rehome our cats.

We love them all, but costs are a bit prohibitive. Our eldest cat will be nearly 18 when we go, so it's too much Agro for him (although he is healthy). I read lots that cats don't always adapt, get lost, bitten by spiders and stuff like that. So, regretfully, the cats will stay here. We are very confident we can get our friends take them on.

But our dog would e lost without us. She is a very soppy and attached girl.

I also think cats are less dependant on us. They are happy enough in our house but they all seem to spend time in other homes in our area as it is!

Edited by Captain Roberto

We decided that our dog comes with us, but we rehome our cats.

We love them all, but costs are a bit prohibitive. Our eldest cat will be nearly 18 when we go, so it's too much Agro for him (although he is healthy). I read lots that cats don't always adapt, get lost, bitten by spiders and stuff like that. So, regretfully, the cats will stay here. We are very confident we can get our friends take them on.

But our dog would e lost without us. She is a very soppy and attached girl.

I also think cats are less dependant on us. They are happy enough in our house but they all seem to spend time in other homes in our area as it is!

Some cats are very independent and just would not miss their owners. I can see how they would be left behind or rehomed. And to be honest, if my cat did not display signs of attachment to us (eg came in to eat then went back out) then I guess rehoming would be an option for us if we knew the people and couldnt take them due to age or similar.

I did the GPS trace for our 2 and they don't venture more than 20m from the house when we are out and are always in the same room as us when we are at home.

I am just glad we don't have other pets as Aus will only allow dogs, cats and horses in.

I'd being your dog.Sounds like the same breed as what my sister has.(She lives in Oz)and it gets along fine.As someone else mentioned,common sense prevails.Don't take your dog out mid day if its hot,make sure they have plenty of water and so on.My other sister has two large dogs,and they find plenty of places to walk their dogs.Yes it is different in that you can't generally walk over open countryside (with or without a dog)but plenty of people own dogs and get by without doing this.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...