Emigrating pets - D.I.Y

mogsandrovers

Hi - Im currently looking into shipping our German shepherd Dog and DSH cat to Melbourne in 2015.

I decided I was going to do it all myself though - its really not all that difficult. You have to make sure you have all the relevant import / export permits and vet checks etc and an air kennel which can be purchased from the airline. There are guidelines from IATA as to the standards of the kennels, however IATA dont approve or recommend any specific make.

I had a long chat with a very helpful lady at Emirates SkyCargo.com at Heathrow - they deal with Pets as manifest cargo. They have a great service for travelling animals with a stopover station for pets in Dubai where they are let out and exercised and fed etc before sent onto the forwarding flight.

Skycargo gave me a rough quote for booking our animals....it was nearly £1500 cheaper than the quotes I have had from reputable pet shipping agents. The advisor also told me that there is no need for animals to be boarded in local kennels overnight beforehand and they can be brought straight to the airline handler day of flight.

Now for the vet bit - I have emailled my vet asking for a quote for all the relevant vaccs and blood checks and form filling etc

Next would be to apply for import permits and book quarantine when we know our flights.

Flights themselves will be through Emirates and must have a min of 6 hours stop over for a comfort stop. They will also have to be on a weekday and between business hours at the Heathrow end. However, Emirates have said that many people send their animals on the flight before to avoid the 6 hours stopover for themselves. Then they rejoin on the connecting flight.

Its not hard - just time consuming and has to be done properly.. But if your organised then you could save ££££

If anyone would like me to keep you updated with progress I am happy to.

Just a thought x

useful links:

DEFRA UK: As a first step, ring DEFRA/AHVLA - Carlisle 01228 403600

Skycargo http://www.skycargo.com/english/products-and-services/live-animals-pets/pet-care/index.aspx

DAFF Australia (permits) http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs

AUS Quarantine http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs/quarantine-facilities-and-fees

Very helpful PetExports site http://www.petexports.co.uk/defranumbers.html

Edited by mogsandrovers

Hi - Im currently looking into shipping our German shepherd Dog and DSH cat to Melbourne in 2015.

I decided I was going to do it all myself though - its really not all that difficult. You have to make sure you have all the relevant import / export permits and vet checks etc and an air kennel which can be purchased from the airline. There are guidelines from IATA as to the standards of the kennels, however IATA dont approve or recommend any specific make.

I had a long chat with a very helpful lady at Emirates SkyCargo.com at Heathrow - they deal with Pets as manifest cargo. They have a great service for travelling animals with a stopover station for pets in Dubai where they are let out and exercised and fed etc before sent onto the forwarding flight.

Skycargo gave me a rough quote for booking our animals....it was nearly £1500 cheaper than the quotes I have had from reputable pet shipping agents. The advisor also told me that there is no need for animals to be boarded in local kennels overnight beforehand and they can be brought straight to the airline handler day of flight.

Now for the vet bit - I have emailled my vet asking for a quote for all the relevant vaccs and blood checks and form filling etc

Next would be to apply for import permits and book quarantine when we know our flights.

Flights themselves will be through Emirates and must have a min of 6 hours stop over for a comfort stop. They will also have to be on a weekday and between business hours at the Heathrow end. However, Emirates have said that many people send their animals on the flight before to avoid the 6 hours stopover for themselves. Then they rejoin on the connecting flight.

Its not hard - just time consuming and has to be done properly.. But if your organised then you could save ££££

If anyone would like me to keep you updated with progress I am happy to.

Just a thought x

useful links:

DEFRA UK: As a first step, ring DEFRA/AHVLA - Carlisle 01228 403600

Skycargo http://www.skycargo.com/english/products-and-services/live-animals-pets/pet-care/index.aspx

DAFF Australia (permits) http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs

AUS Quarantine http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs/quarantine-facilities-and-fees

Very helpful PetExports site http://www.petexports.co.uk/defranumbers.html

That sounds a great idea we are looking at doing the same but we are only coming over from New Zealand so don't need permits or quarantine will give Emirates a call see if the do pet flights from here.

Thanks for the insight most helpful

• 2 months later...

Id love to know how it all goes, my partner and I will be beginning our visa application soon and are desperate to take our dog (alaskan malamute x) but looking at some of what others have said for the cost of similar size breeds I was getting down hearted that we could never afford it! Would be devastated if we had to leave him behind

Id love to know how it all goes, my partner and I will be beginning our visa application soon and are desperate to take our dog (alaskan malamute x) but looking at some of what others have said for the cost of similar size breeds I was getting down hearted that we could never afford it! Would be devastated if we had to leave him behind

So save up until the whole family can come along. You don't "have" to leave him anywhere.

Well done,

We looked at DIY but it was so complicate (for me anyway), I didn't want to mess it up, so bottled it and went with a pet shipper in the end.. Going to cost around £6500 for our two small dogs by the time we get them at the other end, with the $3500 Australian quarantine fees, vets, pet shippers - external and internal.. Certainly worth looking at if you have the time and confidence to do it.. Best of luck.. :wink:

I agree with you I would never leave him permanently, some of the posts I read were saying up to £8000 whereas I had thought nearer £2500. It has always been my intention to take him and have him with us to join our family in Brisbane. Sorry I should have said that in the post.

Well done,

We looked at DIY but it was so complicate (for me anyway), I didn't want to mess it up, so bottled it and went with a pet shipper in the end.. Going to cost around £6500 for our two small dogs by the time we get them at the other end, with the $3500 Australian quarantine fees, vets, pet shippers - external and internal.. Certainly worth looking at if you have the time and confidence to do it.. Best of luck.. :wink:

I did most of the things myself for shipping my cat (like all the documents, applying for Import Permit, booking quarantine etc.) and only used a pet shipping company to book flights and manage that - and I only paid around $3500 for the flights (including transfers and crate). The rest I paid myself, which was also not too much (although the quarantine prices went up recently...).

Mogsandrovers, didn't realise that this could be done DIY so will be following with interest. We're hopefully going to be heading out mid 2015 and every penny is a prisoner so if we can save some cash here then ideal. My wee boy (Rudi) has had his rabies & blood test all clear & vet can issue passport for him. Best of luck.& looking forward to following your progress xx

• 2 weeks later...

We did the same exercise but then our remover quietly recommended Golden Arrow.....(not who her firm recommended). Its a small outfit and they did a superb job. The reason they want the pet before is so that they get accustomed to their crate. These people also know the best airlines to use as you want delays and discomfort in transit kept to a minimum and some airlines have different processes. Also it was bad enough having our cats taken from the house...we did not want to part with them at an airport. You also have enough to do without an airport dash. So their fees were well worth it. On the day, we had 2 feet of snow and Golden Arrow still managed to get through and it took away a lot of anguish as Heathrow was closed for a few hours and we wondered if our flight would get away, let alone theirs.

Oscar and Tiggy arrived safely and have settled in well....but we will always be thankful we found Golden Arrow.

• 1 month later...

I find this thread interesting.

I emailed all the major (fastest) airlines that fly from the UK to Aus and all of them said they would not allow a member of public to book an animal onto a flight, it has to be done through a pet shipping company.

I even rang some, I spoke to someone at skycargo and they recommended PBS pet shippers, and they've been great to chat to so far, so to thinking of going with them. The one I originally wanted to use is just providing too much service and won't tailor it down to my minimal needs!

So we're doing everything except the flight, which will be booked through a company. The flight itself is coming at £1000 - £1500 for our

20kg border collie. I'm thinking of going for the more expensive one as it's a shorter stop over for him.

Just applied for the import permit. Then I can book the flights, blood tests, parasite treatments... :wub:

Let me know how it goes though :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, 10 day minimum quarantine now.

with all of this, please price it up properly and get all of the costs involved as i would be sure that people who do this on their own save less than they think they would and they get all the hassle and worry themselves and a greater proportion would mess it up. This is why it would be great to hear from people who have done it themselves so we can check a proper comparison between the 2 options. This would be valid for all aspects of emigration and whether the extra work is worth the saving for pets, household good, visas etc etc

• 4 weeks later...
I've been thinking about this question myself, as we get closer to moving over. Would be very interested to know what a 2015 cost comparison looks like between DIY and pet shipper.

I've started to look at his too, I've had a few quotes and to be fair some of the elements look quite complicated..in terms of Documentation and timings. But I'd be keen to know how much I could actually save? I've listed the steps below, with comment.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Description[/TD]

[TD]DIY?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Flights[/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]I.A.T.A. Air Travel Container(s)[/TD]

[TD]Can be Purchased On-line[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Airline Handling Fees - UK side[/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Delivery from Kennel to Airport[/TD]

[TD]DIY[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Transit Permit[/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Application for DEFRA Export Certificate[/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]DEFRA Export Cert inc. 96 hour Paraciticide[/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Check-in of pet (s) to Airline by Airport Vet[/TD]

[TD]YES[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Boarding - 1 days duration[/TD]

[TD]Not Required if i drop off[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Customs Entries for leaving UK[/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Booking of quarantine space [/TD]

[TD]YES[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Airline Handling Fees - Aus side[/TD]

[TD]Not mentioned on Qoutes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pre flight document check[/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Assisted check-In[/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Collection from your home[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Completion of the DEFRA paperwork including pre travel veterinary health examination[/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Application for Import Permit[/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pre-Export Internal Parasite treatments[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pre-Export External Parasite treatments[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Brucella Canis blood test with negative results within 45 days of Export or evidence of De-Sexing[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Canine Ehrlichia blood test with negative results within 21 Days of Export[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Leishmania Blood test with negative results within 45 Days of Export[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Microchip Identification[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]RABIES Vaccine & Rabies Blood test Required for Cats & Dogs 180 days or more before export[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Vaccinations:Dogs-Distemper,Hepatitis,Parvovirus,ParaInfluenza,Lepto, Kennel Cough more than 14 days but within 1 year[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Vaccinations:Dogs-Bordatella, more than 14 days but within 1 year[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Payment for 10 days Quarantine Space & Fees[/TD]

[TD]DIY \?[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi - this looks like an air pets quote, but feel very free to contact us - often we are cheaper:) I have put comments in the quote below to help out, but get a price from your vets. You obviously can save a bit by doing things yourself, but it is always less than you think and you get little backup. The key thing is to price it up properly or you will come across costs on the way which make it not worth doing yourself.

Have a look below and that should help out a bit.

I've started to look at his too, I've had a few quotes and to be fair some of the elements look quite complicated..in terms of Documentation and timings. But I'd be keen to know how much I could actually save? I've listed the steps below, with comment.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Description[/TD]

[TD]DIY?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Flights[/TD]

[TD]? HAS TO BE BOOKED THROUGH AGENT[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]I.A.T.A. Air Travel Container(s)[/TD]

[TD]Can be Purchased On-line BUT DONT AND WOODEN CRATE WILL BE CHEAPER TO FLY[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Airline Handling Fees - UK side[/TD]

[TD]? IN AGENTS FEES[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Delivery from Kennel to Airport[/TD]

[TD]DIY[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Transit Permit[/TD]

[TD]? FROM SINGAPORE AVA[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Application for DEFRA Export Certificate[/TD]

[TD]? FREE[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]DEFRA Export Cert inc. 96 hour Paraciticide[/TD]

[TD]? WHATEVER YOUR VET CHARGES YOU (ANYWHERE FROM £50-£150)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Check-in of pet (s) to Airline by Airport Vet[/TD]

[TD]YES[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Boarding - 1 days duration[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Customs Entries for leaving UK[/TD]

[TD]? IN AGENTS FEES[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Booking of quarantine space[/TD]

[TD]YES[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Airline Handling Fees - Aus side[/TD]

[TD]Not mentioned on Qoutes - BILLED INTO QUARANTINE FEES[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pre flight document check[/TD]

[TD]? [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Assisted check-In[/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Collection from your home[/TD]

[TD]Not Required if i drop off yEP, BUT STILL COSTS YOU MONEY IN FUEL ETC[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Completion of the DEFRA paperwork including pre travel veterinary health examination[/TD]

[TD]? WHATEVER YOUR VET CHARGES (SEE ABOVE)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Application for Import Permit[/TD]

[TD]? (COSTS $485 aud PLUS WHAT YOUR VET CHARGES FOR COMPLETING RNATT DEC)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pre-Export Internal Parasite treatments[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pre-Export External Parasite treatments[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Brucella Canis blood test with negative results within 45 days of Export or evidence of De-Sexing[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Canine Ehrlichia blood test with negative results within 21 Days of Export[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Leishmania Blood test with negative results within 45 Days of Export[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Microchip Identification[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]RABIES Vaccine & Rabies Blood test Required for Cats & Dogs 180 days or more before export[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Vaccinations:Dogs-Distemper,Hepatitis,Parvovirus,ParaInfluenza,Lepto, Kennel Cough more than 14 days but within 1 year[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Vaccinations:Dogs-Bordatella, more than 14 days but within 1 year[/TD]

[TD]YES \VETS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Payment for 10 days Quarantine Space & Fees[/TD]

[TD]DIY \?[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi - this looks like an air pets quote, but feel very free to contact us - often we are cheaper:) I have put comments in the quote below to help out, but get a price from your vets. You obviously can save a bit by doing things yourself, but it is always less than you think and you get little backup. The key thing is to price it up properly or you will come across costs on the way which make it not worth doing yourself.

Have a look below and that should help out a bit.

Thanks Bob that's very useful. I do have a quote from PetAir..and its the best priced :wink: ... From my point of view its probably easier to let a transport company take care of the complicated bits.

I'll be in touch Bob!