french bulldogs from UK to Sydney - informed decision needed

Manda

Hi all,

I have been looking into flying a French Bulldog from the UK to Sydney, and its good that there are now two options. But what I want to know is the actual stats for the risk of flying them home. I found the US study done in 2010, but I can't get any information on stats for all the ones who have safely travelled this route. Does anyone have any information or can direct me to websites etc? I just want to make an informed decision. I know they are a higher risk, but just what this risk is I can't tell. Thanks so much.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have shipped a number of brachycephalic dogs over the years and never had any fatalities reported. That isn't to say they don't happen because they do, just like if a brachy dog is left outdoors in the heat, or indoors near a fire. Have a look here it may answer some of your questions https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/Short-nosed-Dogs-and-Air-Travel-FAQs.aspx

The risk of flying a snub nosed dog is greater than for a normal nosed dog, but still actually very small - in the order of risk of death to a normal dog would be 1 in 10000 and the risk to a snub nosed dog would be 1 in 500.

There are 2 schools of thoughts now with this move to Australia - either go for the Air Canada route with a break and a stopover done nicely and in the cool or go for the quicker route with a stopover in Dubai with Qantas - which is better? There is no data to confirm which is better, so you just have to go with your gut feeling.

If you want any help or a chat give us a call.

Just remember to get the rabies vaccines and blood samples started early!

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com

• 5 months later...
Hiya,

I am also looking into moving my french bulldog to Sydney. Did you manage to find a way to safely get your frenchie over there?

Thanks,

Lauren

The two routes Bob mentioned above are the two to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

We prefer the Canada option as the stopover is cooler than Dubai, but Air Canada will now cancel a booking if it is going to be over 24 degrees on landing, which is will be most of the year, so we need to start using Qantas as that is the only option now. I did email Qantas to check how the snubs had been over the last year and they reported that they have not had any problems with them since they started flying them again, which is encouraging.

• 4 months later...

My Frenchie has now been with us in Sydney for a month!!!!

I too was extremely nervous about his journey and I didn't rest from the moment he was collected until the moment I got the email from the Quarantine to say he arrived safely - but he did, and I am over the moon! I watched his flights from start to end on the internet and phone app!

We used Airpets - he flew Qantas on the 11th November - Qantas will only fly short nosed dogs during the cooler months to ensure a comfortable journey.

I was very happy with the service, Hardy was collected from my friends house on the 10th, everything was explained to my friend about the journey and so on so she felt comfortable letting him go! He was taken to Airpets at Heathrow for a full vet check by qualified registered vets, stayed overnight there before he flew the following evening.

For me the only issue was the Sydney quarantine, the kennels are all out in the hot sunshine with no air con - they told us they had to take Hardy to an air conned room a few times to cool him down - no **** sherlock. He had lost a lot of weight when we collected him which was no doubt due to the stress of the heat but we are not fattening him up and he's enjoying his new life here in Sydney! He loves the beach!

We flew a Frenchie with Qantas in November and the owner was super happy. It is really the only option now and as long as you make sure the crate is super big to allow the extra ventilation, it all works well. The main worry is what if something happens (plane delay etc) in Dubai and they are stuck on the tarmac in Dubai heat, but it is very unlikely, so fully do-able.

Happy New Year

Hiya

Thank you for your message! Its great to hear from someone that has done it! Do you mind if i ask you a few questions?

Was you on the same flight as Hardy?

Where you allowed to visit him during his stay in quarantine?

Yeah, I am super nervous about moving him, but also reassured by your experience. Although Hardy over heated, it is nice to know they were keeping an eye on him to take him inside to cool down!!

I have read that quarantine only feed dogs once a day, so I was expecting my boy to lose weight as I feed him two meals a day.

I have only gained a quote from PetAir UK so far. Although this was just to gain an idea of price whilst working out the budget, so will need to obtain a new quote and will look into other options.

Thank you so much for your help every one!