Cost of rabies vaccination and blood test

NowPerth

I have just had my cat and dog vaccinated for rabies and they have now had their blood tests. I thought I'd post the cost in case anyone else is looking into the cost of exporting their pet.

The cost of the vaccination was £35 each and the blood test £75 each.

The cost of some vet treatments varies with the size of pet so I was surprised that the vaccines for a 5kg cat and a 34kg dog were the same.

It's possible that it may have been a bit cheaper if I had shopped around but I preferred to use my usual vet, and they are very experienced with pet exports.

I have just had my cat and dog vaccinated for rabies and they have now had their blood tests. I thought I'd post the cost in case anyone else is looking into the cost of exporting their pet.

The cost of the vaccination was £35 each and the blood test £75 each.

The cost of some vet treatments varies with the size of pet so I was surprised that the vaccines for a 5kg cat and a 34kg dog were the same.

It's possible that it may have been a bit cheaper if I had shopped around but I preferred to use my usual vet, and they are very experienced with pet exports.

We paid £53.50 for the vaccination and the blood test will be £60.

Satch is heading off before she needs Rabies vaccinations, but for the remaining blood tests we've paid the following:

~£121 for the blood tests, ~£16 for the flea/tick treatments plus ~£70-80 for the final examination, so all in all the Vet costs for her are going to be ~£220- or less

We didn't shop around, we just went to her regular vet (also an LVI)

Guest Diddy1986

Hello, my two dogs had there rabies vaccines 3 weeks ago, for both of them it costs £65 and they are due to have there bloods on the 12/10 and that will be £140.00 for both of them, i stayed with my vet as i like him and didnt think the cost of it was that bad. my two staffy's are not going to perth till March next year! But because of the new law after Jan 2012 they needed this done now, good timing really

Hi, we are at the early stages (awaiting Skills Assesment results) but plan on taking our large cat (Tinker) with us from London to Perth in 2012. Can you advise how far in advance on travel the Rabies shot should be undertaken and how long quarantine when they arrive in Oz.

I have seen that taking a pet is expensive, but Tinker is a real part of the family and our eldest would be devastated if he could not come too. Can anyone advise how much it will all cost (approximately) ?

Also, I did read a post about how cats are frowned upon in Oz given the risk to local wildlife and you have to give assurances that they will not roam outside your back garden. Is this true?

Thanks for any assistance or guidance.

Hi, we are at the early stages (awaiting Skills Assesment results) but plan on taking our large cat (Tinker) with us from London to Perth in 2012. Can you advise how far in advance on travel the Rabies shot should be undertaken and how long quarantine when they arrive in Oz.

I have seen that taking a pet is expensive, but Tinker is a real part of the family and our eldest would be devastated if he could not come too. Can anyone advise how much it will all cost (approximately) ?

Also, I did read a post about how cats are frowned upon in Oz given the risk to local wildlife and you have to give assurances that they will not roam outside your back garden. Is this true?

Thanks for any assistance or guidance.

Can't help on costs. Best bet is to measure you cat as per the shipping company guidelines and get proper quotes. They can vary.

And some areas do have cat curfews at set times. Or 24/7 where they are not allowed out of your property. Info on cat escape proof fencing has been posted in the pet section recently. This stops them escaping from your garden. It varies from area to area, state to state, so research the suburbs you intend to live in for local laws and regs.

You should chip your cat as pounds don't keep them long so if they do get lost or wander you'll want to be sure they can get in touch with you asap.

Hi Pegs

Taking any pet is expensive. Ask several different exporters for quotes as they vary a lot. I found lots of previous threads on here before I started phoning round. It gave me an idea of how much to expect, what questions to ask and what work would be involved. Do it well in advance of moving as there can be a long wait for quarantine places and you need to investigate whether you need a rabies vaccine.

The costs can also differ according to how far you are going, how many cats you take and how much of the paperwork you do yourself. (there is a great thread on here somewhere about how to do most of it yourself). In addition to the fees you pay to the exporter over here, you have to pay fees to quarantine once you are in Oz.

I can't tell you the cost of taking my cat as all of my quotes were for the dog and cat combined, and the dog would have been much more than half of that cost. Once I have included all the extras ( rabies vaccine and tests, quarantine fees, vet checks etc) I think it will come to roughly £5000 for one cat and one large dog going to Perth, with the exporters doing most of the paperwork and checks for me.

Chelsea1

If you look at the top of the list of threads for 'Pets', there's one for asking Bob from PetAir questions. He may well know all about any new rules.

Ring DEFRA in Britain - very helpful and friendly. They will explain rules and can also post you the form you need from them.

Check the DAFF website (in Oz) which explains the rules depending on which pet you take and which country you are travelling from.

Speak to your usual vet and see if they are registered to do the necessary tests and paperwork for exporting.

Hiya

We had our cat injected a couple of weeks ago for rabies - the AQIS website says about waiting a minimum of 4 weeks for the blood test but my vet says he usually does a blood test after around 3 weeks. Timing is essential for us and if we can save a week by her getting it done at 3 weeks then that's great - anyone else's cat tested after 3 weeks? Also - is it just a certificate that we need to provide or anything else?

I wondered the samething when I had mine tested because I've heard both.

My vet insisted on 30 days wait. I've also heard 3 weeks if it is after a booster, 4 weeks if it is after initial vaccination.

The delay is while the animal's immune system responds. Some will repond more strongly or more rapidly than others. Many pets would pass a blood test after the 3 weeks. But what if yours is one of the ones with a weaker response who would need the 4 week wait? You could fail the initial blood test and need another one, adding weeks to the delay. You could sit on the fence and go for 3 and a half weeks???

You need to make sure that the vets follow the AQIS rules about scanning the pet's microchip and recording the microchip number during the whole process.

When are you planning to move and where to?

I wondered the samething when I had mine tested because I've heard both.

My vet insisted on 30 days wait. I've also heard 3 weeks if it is after a booster, 4 weeks if it is after initial vaccination.

The delay is while the animal's immune system responds. Some will repond more strongly or more rapidly than others. Many pets would pass a blood test after the 3 weeks. But what if yours is one of the ones with a weaker response who would need the 4 week wait? You could fail the initial blood test and need another one, adding weeks to the delay. You could sit on the fence and go for 3 and a half weeks???

You need to make sure that the vets follow the AQIS rules about scanning the pet's microchip and recording the microchip number during the whole process.

When are you planning to move and where to?

Hiya - thanks for that. I will make sure they do that. The three and a half weeks seems like a good idea. Have you chosen a company to ship your pet yet? We haven't decided who to go with yet.

We are off to Brisbane/Gold Coast Feb/March time. When are you off to Perth?

We plan to fly out early December (pets have flights booked for 5th December). We don't yet have our visas, although hopefully we will within the next couple of weeks (fingers crossed). That's why I had the rabies vaccinations done - just in case it all gets delayed by a few months. We're really excited now. Hamish (dog) is very excited about playing on the dog beach and swimming in the sea. Chester (cat) is looking forward to stretching out in the sun.

We are using Golden Arrow. I phoned 5 companies and they were all really helpful and friendly. The pets have to fly out of Heathrow to Perth. I did not want to add to the stress and time by adding a connecting flight from Manchester. Golden Arrow look after them for the last 3 days before their flight and take care of all the final vet checks and paperwork, and they take them to the airport. I can't drive down to Heathrow with them at that stage so it solved a problem. One company was very honest and helpful and said that unless I lived nearer to Heathrow they were not the best company to use.

We plan to fly out early December (pets have flights booked for 5th December). We don't yet have our visas, although hopefully we will within the next couple of weeks (fingers crossed). That's why I had the rabies vaccinations done - just in case it all gets delayed by a few months. We're really excited now. Hamish (dog) is very excited about playing on the dog beach and swimming in the sea. Chester (cat) is looking forward to stretching out in the sun.

We are using Golden Arrow. I phoned 5 companies and they were all really helpful and friendly. The pets have to fly out of Heathrow to Perth. I did not want to add to the stress and time by adding a connecting flight from Manchester. Golden Arrow look after them for the last 3 days before their flight and take care of all the final vet checks and paperwork, and they take them to the airport. I can't drive down to Heathrow with them at that stage so it solved a problem. One company was very honest and helpful and said that unless I lived nearer to Heathrow they were not the best company to use.

Blimey - not long to go for you guys then! Thanks for the info, really helpful. I can't believe you have everything booked and haven't even got your visas! Very brave! Have you got jobs to go to?

Yes, it has happened really quickly and seems really soon now. (We haven't got our flights booked yet though, just the pets' flights as the quarantine needs booking so far in advance.

We are really lucky - my husband has a job to go to and the company has sponsored him and is helping with the visas. I have a full time job out there organising life for the pets, husband and 4 children! Once we have settled in permanent accomodation and sorted schools out I will try and find some temping work. I'm trying to focus my mind more on trips to the beach than finding work though :cool:.

Good luck with choosing a pet exporter. It's so hard knowing what to do for the best and there are so many rules. We are terrified of getting it wrong and making a mistake at some point that can hold the whole thing up. My daughter suggested dressing the cat up and claiming he's another child - it seems to be much easier and cheaper to take a child over. There has been lots of useful advice and information on this site though which I read before I started phoning round.

Yes, it has happened really quickly and seems really soon now. (We haven't got our flights booked yet though, just the pets' flights as the quarantine needs booking so far in advance.

We are really lucky - my husband has a job to go to and the company has sponsored him and is helping with the visas. I have a full time job out there organising life for the pets, husband and 4 children! Once we have settled in permanent accomodation and sorted schools out I will try and find some temping work. I'm trying to focus my mind more on trips to the beach than finding work though :cool:.

Good luck with choosing a pet exporter. It's so hard knowing what to do for the best and there are so many rules. We are terrified of getting it wrong and making a mistake at some point that can hold the whole thing up. My daughter suggested dressing the cat up and claiming he's another child - it seems to be much easier and cheaper to take a child over. There has been lots of useful advice and information on this site though which I read before I started phoning round.

That all sounds great! I am doing the same as you with regards to work! :biggrin:

Hope all goes well for you.