Advice on rabies vaccination for taking our dog back to the UK

lucylou1

Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with Rabies vaccinations for the UK. We are wanting to take our dog with us back to the UK .

As I understand it once she has the rabies vaccination, then 6 months later she needs a blood test to confirm the vaccination has worked - otherwise she would need to spend the 6 months in quarantine and we are not wanting to do this.

My question is how long after we receive the blood test results do we have to enter the UK with her? Is the vaccination and results indefinite or do we have to enter with say 12 months? I have checked the UK website but nothing on how long the results are valid for.

Thanks in advance.

:spinny:

Guest dawnpepper

I cannot tell you from the Aus side but we had it all done in the UK for bringing the dogs out here just in case we had to return. My best advice would be to speak to your vet or go to the DEFRA website. I would tell you but I simply cannot remember all the facts now and would not want to mislead you.

Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with Rabies vaccinations for the UK. We are wanting to take our dog with us back to the UK .

As I understand it once she has the rabies vaccination, then 6 months later she needs a blood test to confirm the vaccination has worked - otherwise she would need to spend the 6 months in quarantine and we are not wanting to do this.

My question is how long after we receive the blood test results do we have to enter the UK with her? Is the vaccination and results indefinite or do we have to enter with say 12 months? I have checked the UK website but nothing on how long the results are valid for.

Thanks in advance.

:spinny:

We were takeing our dog back to the UK with us,we had the rabies vaccination done,the vet told us that it would take a month to see if the vac.had taken,it did.he told us we had to wait 6months before we could leave.But it lasts for 12 months.Sadly the sale of our house fell over and we are still stuck here.The 12 months have gone.So now we have to get it all done again.But we will wait untill we have sold,and got the money in the bank.The good news is they have changed the laws in the UK.You can have the rabies jab done,only wait a month to see that it has taken,and you can go.And your dog dosen't have to go into quarantine.As long as you have the papers to prove the Rabies jab has been done,and it's taken.

Thanks Zack and dawnpepper for your replies.

Zack...I have just checked the DEFRA website and from1 January 2012....no quarantine as long as you meet the other set criteria...WOOOOTTTT.

Thanks so much otherwise I wouldnt have bothered checking the DEFRA website again. At least this is one less thing we have to wait for. Now just to sort my visa and then we will be off to the UK!!!

Our dog has just arrived back in the UK. He had his rabies jab in Dec 09 and we arranged for him to have a 'foster carer' in Australia for 6 months rather than have him in quarantine here in the UK. However, our plans changed and Archie ended up going to Melbourne with my husband until he (husband) found a job in the UK.

We thought Archie would have to go through the whole process again, but then discovered that he'd been given a three year jab rather than the year one. It meant he could travel immediately. I hadn't realised that there were different vaccines.

Guest dawnpepper

yes. Our dogs had the 3 year rabies vaccines in the UK, just in case. As it is they will both stay here til their dying day now with us doing exactly the same.