Failed first blood test

popnjeb

Hi All

Just got the first blood test results back for my little doggie-daughter and she failed her lepto and has to be retested next monday. I am so distraught been in tears all afternoon. :cry::cry::cry:

Has anyone else out there had a fail first time around on the lepto? Do the levels normally stay the same? I am in a proper panic!!!

xx

Guest Guest31881

Its very common for dogs to fail the first test. Don't worry they will pass the second, If you search the site you will find literally dozens of similar posts to yours and the dogs pass the second time around :wink:

Not a dog owner but I have seen quite a few posts on here over the years saying dogs had failed their first test - I think that sometimes it has something to do with one of the vaccinations/boosters they have that scews the resutls.

Ali x

Yeah very common, apparently when they do the shots for migration they are not supposed to include the lepto but because it is part of the usual batch of shots that dogs receive (and if you dont know to tell them to specifically exclude it) it shows up as a positive when they do the blood tests.

All you do is wait a while - the next blood test should come back at normal levels showing that the high reading was due to the lepto in the shot and not the actual disease.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi All

Just got the first blood test results back for my little doggie-daughter and she failed her lepto and has to be retested next monday. I am so distraught been in tears all afternoon. :cry::cry::cry:

Has anyone else out there had a fail first time around on the lepto? Do the levels normally stay the same? I am in a proper panic!!!

xx

Please, please do not worry, everything will work out fine I promise. When was your little one last vaccinated?

that's the thing... she had her boosters in February this year, but we specifically got the vet not to give her the lepto one. So in reality she hasn't had a lepto booster for over 16 months...

I am literally terrified she wont pass, because I am not sure that I could leave without her :(

Guest The Pom Queen
My little doggie daughter goes in for her next round of blood tests on monday - finger, toes and everything else crossed that she passes her lepto :unsure:

Please don't worry I am sure you will be fine. Just for your information, where the first blood sample showed a positive titre of not more than 1:400 for Leptospira Canicola a second blood sample, is collected at an interval of not less than 14 days following the date of the first sampling, so this is tomorrow for your little one. This is also tested and hopefully shows no increase in the titre above that of the first test;

Dogs that record a result of over 1:400 (ie. 1:800) are ineligible for import.

If this occurs it is often sensible to simply re-test as a lower titre can often be achieved.

If for any reason your dog fails again tomorrow, It may be worth asking your vet to put him on a course of treatment using doxycycline orally for 14 days (I would recommend a dose of 2.5-5mg/kg daily) or dihydrostreptomycin injections for 5 days and then re-test.

Hope all goes well for your dogs retest on Monday!!

I have been reading your thread with interest as our dog is booked in for his first blood test on 20th July. I'm thinking he will fail because when he had his annual vaccinations on 3rd December 2010 we hadn't even planned a move to Australia so Lepto had been included :(

Very reassuring post by moving2melbourne though! There may be a light at the end of the tunnel after all :)

Guest The Pom Queen
My little doggie daughter goes in for her next round of blood tests on monday - finger, toes and everything else crossed that she passes her lepto :unsure:

Good luck today don't forget to let us know how you go.

:hug::hug:

Guest The Pom Queen
SHE PASSED!!!:smile::smile::smile:

Her levels went up from 1/200 to 1/400 but they said it was an 'acceptable positive' so she jets off a week today.

Thanks everyone for the replies to this thread :hug:

Great news:hug:

Guest JamieandMel

Congratulations, My dog is due his on 5th September and I am worried already!!

I am sure your doggie will be fine

x